Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Iowa’s Win against Alabama St.

Probably the most pleasant thing about this game was the reduction in turnovers. Even with the walk-ons playing significant minutes, we only had 8 turnovers. That's a significant improvement considering we've averaged 16.25 turnovers the first 4 games including 33 total against UMKC & GB.

Probably the most pleasant thing about this game was the reduction in turnovers. Even with the walk-ons playing significant minutes, we only had 8 turnovers. That's a significant improvement considering we've averaged 16.25 turnovers the first 4 games including 33 total against UMKC & GB.
What minutes do you give Pemsl? Pemsl has turnover issues and isn’t good enough offensively or defensively to take away minutes from Kreiner. The first time Ash shot the ball I thought he was throwing an alleyoop with those shooting mechanics. I said what in the actual F? Lol . Hawks looked really good last night granted their opponent was completely inferior. Cook needs to finish out his career and get his degree . The NBA won’t be calling with no outside game. Overall he has improved a little in some other areas though.

Amen. That team wasn't exactly great (understatement). But was mine as well. To nit pick beyond that I think we gave up too many offensive rebounds and some hustle plays here and there though to a team we shouldn't have. And it'd have been nice to get JBo going a little bit. I'm not worried about him yet. But I think he's a volume shooter. If the new normal for him is only to get but 3-6 shots a game I'm not so sure he'll be as good of a shooter. As when he gets closer to 10 or more Does that make sense?

Freshman Joe Wieskamp Finds His Offense as Hawkeyes Roll:

LINK
Pretty hard to tell much in a game like that. I think Wieskamp is going to be a good player but so far he has struggled against good competition and played well against much lesser. I expect he will have a good year. By the way did you have to pay to get into that game?

Interested to see:

How Iowa handles duress, who are the leaders, where will the resilience come from? Playing good defense and making free throws, rebounding well, are the best antidotes to swoons, which all teams have. Iowa is excelling in these cores areas so far.

Where JB and Baer are going to fit in to this "upgraded" Iowa team with the above strengths.

How many minutes Moss and Daily will take from JB and Baer. They really look confident and ready to bloom, so far.

If Cook can start making some of those mid range jumpers. On the hopeful side, I like to see that he is attempting them more and, although not proficient, his shot looks much better. Once he smells blood, he might really improve on his outside scoring. He seems to go strong to the hoop :)

Connor seems to be the missing link from last year, size, smarts, looking to pass, confident, head up. The igniter of the engine.

There is so much risk, being excited at the start of a season, for an Iowa fan.

The hawks looked really good the first 10 minutes or so, especially their new defensive prowess. If Joe finds his rhythm offensively (and JBo) gets his shot going, this team is going to be really tough to defend as well.

The only nitpicking thing I would say is the crapppy defense returned a little bit in the later part of that game. I hope that doesn’t form any bad habits. A lot of us last year felt the PTL and the crappy competition overseas might have formed some bad habits for the team. This team is more veteran laden now so they should be fine.

Very winnable game Tuesday night against an ACC opponent. Hope they play well but also don’t want to get too far ahead but that Wisconsin game next Friday almost feels like a must win to me. A potential 0-2 start in the B1G would put us behind the 8 ball.

Hard to tell much from that game. ASU was in way over their heads.

Positive signs:
Tyler Cook passed out of a triple team. The same kind of situation where last year, he would have tried to muscle his way to the hoop.
Defensive intensity was good while the starters were in. That's not always easy when you are playing a weak opponent.
Ball movement was exceptional. These guys are looking for the other guy first.

Questions:
Why did Riley Till play more minutes than Nic Baer?

We also matched every one of those turnovers with a steal on the defensive end. Very encouraging.

What minutes do you give Pemsl? Pemsl has turnover issues and isn’t good enough offensively or defensively to take away minutes from Kreiner. The first time Ash shot the ball I thought he was throwing an alleyoop with those shooting mechanics. I said what in the actual F? Lol . Hawks looked really good last night granted their opponent was completely inferior. Cook needs to finish out his career and get his degree . The NBA won’t be calling with no outside game. Overall he has improved a little in some other areas though.

It's really too bad Cook is so dead set on leaving early (unless it's just exaggerated by fans and media). Imagine our optimism for next year if we knew we had the whole team back except Baer, then added two more pieces.

Amen. That team wasn't exactly great (understatement). But was mine as well. To nit pick beyond that I think we gave up too many offensive rebounds and some hustle plays here and there though to a team we shouldn't have. And it'd have been nice to get JBo going a little bit. I'm not worried about him yet. But I think he's a volume shooter. If the new normal for him is only to get but 3-6 shots a game I'm not so sure he'll be as good of a shooter. As when he gets closer to 10 or more Does that make sense?

The way I see it so far, even if Bohannon had made 50% of his 3s to this point, McCaffrey would still be outplaying him by a pretty wide margin. I would say because of Cook's turnovers, Garza and McCaffrey are the MVPs of the season to this point.

Questions:
Why did Riley Till play more minutes than Nic Baer?

I think it was a combination of how good Wieskamp was playing early (he stayed in the game way longer than any other starter) and the timing of when the game hit the point of playing walkons.

The way I see it so far, even if Bohannon had made 50% of his 3s to this point, McCaffrey would still be outplaying him by a pretty wide margin. I would say because of Cook's turnovers, Garza and McCaffrey are the MVPs of the season to this point.
We haven't had a player who can clean the defensive glass like Garza since Ed Horton. What a pleasure to have a guy like that playing for us. When Luka blocks his man out it feels like he seals off the whole side of the court.

Obviously, Greg Brunner and Reggie Evans were excellent rebounders as well. But I think of them them more as offensive rebounders. Those are nice to have as well.