Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Iowa’s Victory Against Green Bay

As a guy who has primarily been a Cmac skeptic I have to give him credit for playing prett solid the first two games.

The fact that he stands out feeding the post probably says more about our team than anything else.

We will see how he looks against P5 competition. I still don’t know how his game translates at this level.

As far as the team as a whole I do think we will improve some, but it also appears many of the same weaknesses will continue to appear.

I also noticed Connor's post feeds put his guys in a good position to score. If you got credited with assists for getting teammates to the foul line, he would have had over 10.

Lute Olsen teams and Tom Davis teams would have won by thirty easily over both of these teams and likely played the backups the last 8-10 minutes of the game. We need to be burying these teams to help build enthusiasm.

I also noticed Connor's post feeds put his guys in a good position to score. If you got credited with assists for getting teammates to the foul line, he would have had over 10.
He did a good job of that today no question. Iowa had a massive size advantage so they were spreading out one side of the court and throwing it in there. That won’t be the case on most nights this year.

But again we are talking about feeding the post. That is something you learn how to do in middle school.

Like seriously... we are probably the only P5 school in America that is talking about, we should play this kid, he’s good a feeding the post. It just kind of makes me laugh but that’s where we are.

He did a good job of that today no question. Iowa had a massive size advantage so they were spreading out one side of the court and throwing it in there. That won’t be the case on most nights this year.

But again we are talking about feeding the post. That is something you learn how to do in middle school.

Like seriously... we are probably the only P5 school in America that is talking about, we should play this kid, he’s good a feeding the post. It just kind of makes me laugh but that’s where we are.
I posted this in another thread, but maybe it's better here:

Iowa beat UMKC 77-63
UCONN beat UMKC 94-66. UCONN is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the AAC.
Loyola-Chicago beat UMKC 76-45.

Versus UMKC, Iowa had 16 turnovers. UMKC shot 66.7% from the line and 35.9% FG

-------------------------------------------------------------

Iowa beat Green Bay 93-82.
Indiana St beat Green Bay 78-74. Indiana St is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the MVC.

Versus Green Bay, Iowa had 17 turnovers. GB shot 68.8% from the line and 46.4% FG

I think it's rather clear that this team is undisciplined and the defense hasn't improved. Things can change, but they don't look too good so far. :(

I am very encouraged from what I see. They beat a very athletic team yesterday, the post players are performing at a high level.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it's better here:

Iowa beat UMKC 77-63
UCONN beat UMKC 94-66. UCONN is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the AAC.
Loyola-Chicago beat UMKC 76-45.

Versus UMKC, Iowa had 16 turnovers. UMKC shot 66.7% from the line and 35.9% FG

Iowa beat Green Bay 93-82.
Indiana St beat Green Bay 78-74. Indiana St is predicted to finish around the middle of the pack in the MVC.

Versus Green Bay, Iowa had 17 turnovers. GB shot 68.8% from the line and 46.4% FG

I think it's rather clear that this team is undisciplined and the defense hasn't improved. Things can change, but they don't look too good so far. :(

No we have not played well yet. There is no sign of definite improvement, and most of the early signs are pointing towards a middling season.

We are 2 and 0 though so I will try to point out some positives. First is that we are 2-0 played sloppy enough at times that we could have lost either game, but so far this team has flexed on weaker opponents at end of game so that is improvement. Second positive is that clearly we are letting TC dribble the ball more and that has bloated our turns. I imagine we will see less of that against better teams. Hope we can get those turnovers down to 10 for our next few games.

Defense is still looking a little porous, but I do see renewed effort of the defensive end. While this is seperate from what I expect of Fran and how the team should be overall. All I can really expect from the actual players is effort. So far...I'm ok with it. Keep it up and work on the little things to get even better.

Lute Olsen teams and Tom Davis teams would have won by thirty easily over both of these teams and likely played the backups the last 8-10 minutes of the game. We need to be burying these teams to help build enthusiasm.

Agree - but with Fran Playing everyone double digits minutes every game - who are the backups.

The funny part is I thought our defense was actually better against Green Bay than it was against UMKC. Green Bay was just making quite a few tough contested shots. We still gave up too much penetration, but that is pretty much a given with our roster.

More turnovers than assists against far inferior opponents is alarming.

I guess the positive for me is that we haven’t really played good offense just yet. The 3pt shooting will come. Hopefully we are saving it for NYC, as we didn’t need it the first two games.

The funny part is I thought our defense was actually better against Green Bay than it was against UMKC. Green Bay was just making quite a few tough contested shots. We still gave up too much penetration, but that is pretty much a given with our roster.

More turnovers than assists against far inferior opponents is alarming.

I guess the positive for me is that we haven’t really played good offense just yet. The 3pt shooting will come. Hopefully we are saving it for NYC, as we didn’t need it the first two games.

I thought the defense looked better as well. Still some lazy closeouts. The turnovers is a minor concern. I'm not too worried about the lack of assists as there were a ton of passes that lead to free throws, which unfortunately don't count as assists. It would be interesting to see if there is a stat out there that includes passes leading to free throws.

I was at the game. I didn't see the first but was there yesterday.

1) Garza was a beast down low on offense. Wasn't the tallest players guarding him, but he got a decent look anytime he wanted. Defense - I do have concern as players were consistently driving on him and getting to the hoop in the 1st half. They would pump fake him and drive, almost isolating him.

2) JoBo - I think needs to play one more arm length closer on defense to deter a player from just shooting a 3 over him without any ball movement. Iowa seems to still give up too many non-contested 3pt shots that are not coming off ball screens or ball reversal. I can't explain it but a team should not be able to just take a jump shot over you. They need to go out just one more arm distance. If they get driven on, hope our interior guys can help.

3) Moss - ??????????????????????????????

4) They missed some outside shots that I think they will get as the season goes on. They don't put teams away. They'd get up by 4 or 7, then they would come back. They need to find a way to put a team away. A little killer instinct.

5) I hope you guys like watching zone defense. Green Bay was keeping it close, then Fran went to zone primarily in the 2nd half, which is not a good sign against lesser competition. Iowa didn't pull away until they primarily zoned. Think about this. They had to zone a probably less competitive team with smaller players to pull ahead. This team did not have BIG 10 player guys.

6) Wieskamp - Plays above his years. He plays like a junior and does a really good job of just letting the game come to him and not forcing anything. Just overall good solid player. Great decision maker, passer, shot selection, etc..

Last edited:
I as at the game. I didn't see the first but was there yesterday.

1) Garza was a beast down low on offense. Wasn't the tallest players guarding him, but he got a decent look anytime he wanted. Defense - I do have concern as players were consistently driving on him and getting to the hoop in the 1st half. They would pump fake him and drive, almost isolating him.

2) JoBo - I think needs to play one more arm length closer on defense to deter a player from just shooting a 3 over him without any ball movement. Iowa seems to still give up too many non-contested 3pt shots that are not coming off ball screens or ball reversal. I can't explain it but a team should not be able to just take a jump shot over you. They need to go out just one more arm distance. If they get driven on, hope our interior guys can help.

3) Moss - ??????????????????????????????

4) They missed some outside shots that I think they will get as the season goes on. They don't put teams away. They'd get up by 4 or 7, then they would come back. They need to find a way to put a team away. A little killer instinct.

5) I hope you guys like watching zone defense. Green Bay was keeping it close, then Fran went to zone primarily in the 2nd half, which is not a good sign against lesser competition. Iowa didn't pull away until they primarily zoned. Think about this. They had to zone a probably less competitive team with smaller players to pull ahead. This team did not have BIG 10 players guys.

6) Wieskamp - Plays above his years. He plays like a junior and does a really good job of just letting the game come to him and not forcing anything. Just overall good solid player. Great decision maker, passer, shot selection, etc..

#5 is spot on!! And yet The article stats this was a bad matchup for Iowa! :rolleyes:

This.. and it will be our ultimately be Iowa’s downfall, along with poor coaching. I just have zero confidence in Fran..

Substitution patterns (or lack of) drives me nuts. IMO, ..8 man rotation is best in college basketball. Play the five best players the most minutes with 3 solid backups (a guard, a wing, and a big). Then have a couple more spot minute guys for foul trouble and maybe to give 2-3 minute rests around media time outs.

Oh Baer looked to have the energy and affected the game like in his freshman season. That was a good sign. He was light on his feet, had at least one block, drove and dunk when had the opportunity, deflections and rebounds. He brought an energy yesterday.

Iowa seems to still give up too many non-contested 3pt shots that are not coming off ball screens or ball reversal. I can't explain it but a team should not be able to just take a jump shot over you. They need to go out just one more arm distance. If they get driven on, hope our interior guys can help.

This has been my primary complaint about Iowa basketball for the last 3 years. The uncontested 3s just drive me nuts.

I can only attribute it to laziness or stupidity. You never saw this happen against the teams led on defense by Uthoff, White, Clemmons, Woodbury, etc. Now...it happens all the time. Its almost as if Cook and Bohannon got to college and senior leader Peter Jok told them that defense doesn't mean anything, and they still believe that.