Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeye Hoops’ Exhibition

RobHowe

Administrator
Tyler Cook led & was energized, Joe Wieskamp played beyond his years, and the Hawkeyes D'd up. Yes, it was against D III Guilford. But there were positive signs Sunday. Here are my thoughts, observations and notes:

LINK

The assists really stand out. That is a good sign. Always a good thing when the team is looking to pass the ball to someone in better position or in his spot to score.....

JoeW looked very comfortable and natural. He could be the difference maker. Tyler certainly looked like a team leader and seemed confident handling the ball, 7 assists to 1 turnover are outstanding for anyone, especially for Tyler who had a few too many turnovers last season.....

We cut the turnovers down drastically and we will win a few more games simply because of that. It really hurts to throw the ball away to give someone a breakaway uncontested dunk.....

Realize that it was extremely weak competition, but it was a very good start for the season nonetheless.....

:cool:

I didn't think Connor looked that great. All of his turnovers were terrible passes. Against a better team he may have had more. I even went back and watched the replay of the game on BTN+ to see if I missed something but I was still disappointed. I hope it was just some early season jitters because I think we need him to spell JBo.

I was really impressed with Wieskamp's all around game. He was stronger rebounding than I expected.

Moss played confidently. Cook is going to be tough to guard in the open court after a defensive rebound.

Missed the game but saw highlights on Twitter, while this might've been a preseason exhibition it was nice to see the atmosphere at Carver was in midseason form

weak competition - tough to get much out of it. They looked good, but you'd expect that against a team like they played today. I expect the same sort of results the first 2 games as well. We'll know more when they head to NY. I did get a pretty good kick out of the on court announcer who was really on her game.

It is really tough to tell from this game. Yes some of the problem areas from last year looked better but this DIII team was just blatantly out-manned. For all of the things that looked better against a weak opponent, the number of turnovers was not good.

weak competition - tough to get much out of it. They looked good, but you'd expect that against a team like they played today. I expect the same sort of results the first 2 games as well. We'll know more when they head to NY. I did get a pretty good kick out of the on court announcer who was really on her game.
OMG, that was bad. First, it looked like she just got pulled out of a closet makeout session. She was totally disheveled. Then her commentary was a less interesting or humorous version of the "boom goes the dynamite" guy.

It is really tough to tell from this game. Yes some of the problem areas from last year looked better but this DIII team was just blatantly out-manned. For all of the things that looked better against a weak opponent, the number of turnovers was not good.

I saw somewhere that most of the turnovers were from bench players at least.

Oh, another observation, and of course this is just an observation and nothing to glean out it because it was a scrimmage. But to me, it looked like Nunge is odd man out at least to start the year. He was left in with the grey teamers and I believe last one off the bench? That sucks... He played well last night IMO, and hopefully that's just how it rolled out

Oh, another observation, and of course this is just an observation and nothing to glean out it because it was a scrimmage. But to me, it looked like Nunge is odd man out at least to start the year. He was left in with the grey teamers and I believe last one off the bench? That sucks... He played well last night IMO, and hopefully that's just how it rolled out
I’m one of the biggest Nunge advocates around here and I actually thought he played pretty poorly last night. He looked pretty timid, dribbled it off his foot once and threw some questionable passes. He did knock down a couple outside shots.

My takeaway from last night was that Kriener, Nunge, and Pemsl understand that one if not two of them are going to see their opportunities drop this year. Kriener also had a rough game.

Competition is usually a good thing and I’m hoping it’s Nunge who emerges. Kriener and Pemsl can be serviceable backups if fouls become an issue for guys in front of them.

I’m one of the biggest Nunge advocates around here and I actually thought he played pretty poorly last night. He looked pretty timid, dribbled it off his foot once and threw some questionable passes. He did knock down a couple outside shots.

I also thought Nunge struggled and appeared to be the odd man out at this point. Still early so things can change but he definitely looked timid. I know he hit a growth spurt late in his high school career and it appears he added some weight to his frame over the offseason. He may be still catching up to his body. No doubt in my mind he has the tools to be a solid stretch 4.

At this point I’m not convinced Connor has earned the backup PG spot above Dailey. Dailey isn’t a prototypical PG by any means but remember we are just talking about 10 minutes or so to give JBo a breather.

Dailey is a good athlete and a good shooter and based on what I’ve seen is a better defender than Cmac.

To me it comes primarily to getting the best players on the floor as well, and Dailey is a better basketball player than Cmac IMO. If Connor were the better option I would say go for it, but again I’m just not sure that’s the case.

JBo 30 / Dailey 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Weiskamp 25 / Baer 15

Was Nunge playing on the wing or the post?

I saw him playing both. He launched 4 three pointers...hit 2 of them. He had a nice "uthoff like" block as well.

I'm still not sure where he fits into the team this year. He got some garbage time minutes at the end with the practice squad. I'm not really sure what that says about his prospects this year.

My takeaway from last night was that Kriener, Nunge, and Pemsl understand that one if not two of them are going to see their opportunities drop this year. Kriener also had a rough game.

Competition is usually a good thing and I’m hoping it’s Nunge who emerges. Kriener and Pemsl can be serviceable backups if fouls become an issue for guys in front of them.

He did play a little timid my comment of him playing well was more on him hitting some shots, had a nice block, rebounded well when he was in. He still looked like he was awkward within the offense. Tough to take much away from last night, but what I did take away is that he's towards the bottom of the rotation as it stood last night.

This game was weird...it looked like Iowa was playing a bunch of high school kids. Just outsized them at every single position.

- I thought Wieskamp looked like a stud. Wasn't afraid to shoot, wasn't afraid to do his thing or default to the older players.

- Cook worked on his ball handling. He looked impressive at times coming up the court or with the ball in his hands on the wing.

- Loved seeing Cook get after rebounds...also Moss and Daily were hitting the rebounds hard as well. Reminded me of Jok a couple years back swallowing up all the boards as a guard.

- Wieskamp and Connor looked like the exact same person to me on the court. Same haircut, same exact skin color, same body type, same size, both have a zero in their number. Either the stream was bad quality or this is gonna drive me nuts all season.

He did play a little timid my comment of him playing well was more on him hitting some shots, had a nice block, rebounded well when he was in. He still looked like he was awkward within the offense. Tough to take much away from last night, but what I did take away is that he's towards the bottom of the rotation as it stood last night.

completely agree with all of that

You know who DID look good? Cordell

I agree with the comment above tho- too many turnovers, tho 6 of em came from Nunge, Cordell and Kriener. Something to watch, our bigs seemed to turn it over a ton last season. Cook and Garza were both strong with the ball last night at least.

You know who DID look good? Cordell

I agree with the comment above tho- too many turnovers, tho 6 of em came from Nunge, Cordell and Kriener. Something to watch, our bigs seemed to turn it over a ton last season. Cook and Garza were both strong with the ball last night at least.

Garza looked to me like he's barely missed a beat. Not too shabby for a dude who had a 9 pound tumor-baby removed from his body 2 months ago.

Latest posts