Thoughts, Observations, Notes from Hawkeye Hoops’ Exhibition

I’m one of the biggest Nunge advocates around here and I actually thought he played pretty poorly last night. He looked pretty timid, dribbled it off his foot once and threw some questionable passes. He did knock down a couple outside shots.

My takeaway from last night was that Kriener, Nunge, and Pemsl understand that one if not two of them are going to see their opportunities drop this year. Kriener also had a rough game.

Competition is usually a good thing and I’m hoping it’s Nunge who emerges. Kriener and Pemsl can be serviceable backups if fouls become an issue for guys in front of them.
Yeah I kinda had same thoughts on Nunge. But it's first game out there this year. He was playing against 6'5 guys for the most part too just a weird overall game I'm going to try and not read too much into for him. One of those 3 you mentioned won't play a ton. It's just going to work out that way so the hot hand will who Fran goes with I hope...

He did play a little timid my comment of him playing well was more on him hitting some shots, had a nice block, rebounded well when he was in. He still looked like he was awkward within the offense. Tough to take much away from last night, but what I did take away is that he's towards the bottom of the rotation as it stood last night.
I wouldn’t read a whole lot into him being out there with the walk-ons last night. There are 4 walk-ons and none of them have much size. Somebody had to be out there and it just happened to be him.

I think he’s proven to be a better option than both Pemsl and Kriener. The stats from last year bear that out. He moves his feet better, has a few inches on both of those guys, and is a better shooter. He is behind those guys in terms of strength. Maybe those guys have passed him, which means they have improved. I don’t think they have. Should know more in the next few weeks.

I saw some encouraging signs from the game yesterday. Esp impressed w Wieskamp, nice to have a skilled player that is fundamentally sound. Knows where to position himself on defense both on the perimeter and defending the post. His pass to Garza from the wing was about the nicest entry pass I've seen Iowa make in a bit.
Small sample size but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Very dissappointed by Kriener. Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR personal fouls?!?! This is exactly what has kept him off the court. He's a great option offensively and defensively due to his length and rebounding otherwise.

Looks like Pemsl is making a case for the first man in in the front court. He looked comfortable out there again working his old man moves with newfound agility. It would be nice to have Nunge and Kriener clean up their mistakes though because they provide very intriguing options and when they're on, they can be match-up nightmares on offense.

I saw somewhere that most of the turnovers were from bench players at least.
9 between the starters. Only one came from a deep bench guy. Dailey, Pemsl, Kreiner, and Nunge may not have gotten the starts but they're not scrubs throwing the ball away in garbage time. They had another 8.

I'm not waiving the red flag but I brought up the turnovers and felt the need to elaborate.

I wasn’t as worried about the turnovers. Weiskamp had two charges, Cook traveled in transition and I think we threw a couple out of bounds in transition. Those are manageable turnovers for an uptempo team.

We can’t have the live ball turnovers because those often end in a basket the other way. The four turnovers out of Mccaffery were alarming, especially the post entry attempts that are JV level passes. The sample size was extremely small, but Mccaffery did have the highest turnover % of any player last year on Iowa, yesterday’s game did not ease those concerns.

Again I’m personally not convinced he’s the best option to spell JBo.

9 between the starters. Only one came from a deep bench guy. Dailey, Pemsl, Kreiner, and Nunge may not have gotten the starts but they're not scrubs throwing the ball away in garbage time. They had another 8.

I'm not waiving the red flag but I brought up the turnovers and felt the need to elaborate.

Sorry I meant our actual starters. So not Connor. Did he have 4? Wieskamp had 4 but 2 were charged. Better than being sloppy with the ball. For the most part, Connor was the only one who was sloppy with the ball. He has some ugly turnovers.

This game was weird...it looked like Iowa was playing a bunch of high school kids. Just outsized them at every single position.

- I thought Wieskamp looked like a stud. Wasn't afraid to shoot, wasn't afraid to do his thing or default to the older players.

- Cook worked on his ball handling. He looked impressive at times coming up the court or with the ball in his hands on the wing.

- Loved seeing Cook get after rebounds...also Moss and Daily were hitting the rebounds hard as well. Reminded me of Jok a couple years back swallowing up all the boards as a guard.

- Wieskamp and Connor looked like the exact same person to me on the court. Same haircut, same exact skin color, same body type, same size, both have a zero in their number. Either the stream was bad quality or this is gonna drive me nuts all season.

The one not playing as good and throwing bad passes was Connor.

I wasn’t as worried about the turnovers. Weiskamp had two charges, Cook traveled in transition and I think we threw a couple out of bounds in transition. Those are manageable turnovers for an uptempo team.

We can’t have the live ball turnovers because those often end in a basket the other way. The four turnovers out of Mccaffery were alarming, especially the post entry attempts that are JV level passes. The sample size was extremely small, but Mccaffery did have the highest turnover % of any player last year on Iowa, yesterday’s game did not ease those concerns.

Again I’m personally not convinced he’s the best option to spell JBo.

If Moss, Dailey, and Wieskamp all play really good, it wont make much sense to play Connor. That said, he will play anyway because that's how Fran rolls.

If Moss, Dailey, and Wieskamp all play really good, it wont make much sense to play Connor. That said, he will play anyway because that's how Fran rolls.
That’s the tough part. I have a feeling Dailey is going to lose out on minutes he probably deserves. He’s a very interesting player, who I think will continue to get better with experience and confidence.

With him and Weiskamp out there, I actually think our backcourt defense would be halfway decent. Both guys are athletic and have long arms to cover ground.

Iowa proved they are far from the worst team in the country. Hopefully, they will be pretty good this year. I doubt McCaffery will be very good this year if he continues on his two sport agenda. It takes a lot of practice to be really good at something.

Very dissappointed by Kriener. Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR personal fouls?!?! This is exactly what has kept him off the court. He's a great option offensively and defensively due to his length and rebounding otherwise.

Looks like Pemsl is making a case for the first man in in the front court. He looked comfortable out there again working his old man moves with newfound agility. It would be nice to have Nunge and Kriener clean up their mistakes though because they provide very intriguing options and when they're on, they can be match-up nightmares on offense.
I'm perfectly fine with 4 fouls. At least he's trying to play defense. Nothing worse than getting beat by 14 pts and seeing nobody in foul trouble. That happened way too often last season.

TIL - Guilford mens hoops has 27 players on roster. Seems like overkill
Lol. Run a new line up out in 3 minute increments. Complete chaos of frenzied effort. In your face ball pressure the moment the ball is in bounds. That's a lot of fouls to give.

Latest posts