Thoughts from Tampa -great Dee but run straight at them

uihawk82

The hawks played some really good defense. They were not ready for lsu's speed on that firs drive. they took some bad angles and maybe didnt fill the holes fast enough on which led to the first lsu TD.

The defense then played really well for the next 50 minutes. We will be or should be better on the Dline next year, which will give some time for the new Lbkrs to get ready (and Alston has experience in the middle), King is doing great so we need an upgrade/replacement for Lowery and Miller.

The hawks play really good assignment defense and will again next year.

The offense made some plays but was beat at the point of attack more this year than maybe the MSU game. LSU's defensive front seven or 8 were too disruptive and quick off the ball for 6-7 blockers.

I thought we had some really good pass plays and some pass plays that were there where maybe a little too much heat on the QBs.

But my biggest disappointment was in the running plays we used. I am an old man but have seen enough football to know we couldnt run wide very well against their speed. I think we needed to run the straight blast plays against teams like MSU and LSU. Canzeri had a few of the best runs as straight blast plays between the tackles.

Please send your letters to Greg Davis to not give up on the running game so early and to run straight at quicker defenses like LSU.

Am I right or what are your thougthts?

Ferentz said that in that 1st drive LSU ran a few plays that they had not seen. not sure if it was blocking scheme or which hole they attached or what.

Totally agree on runing weisman wide WTF??

LSU has been weak all season up the middle. The Iowa coaches should have gone up the gut and worn out the interior linemen. I was really surprised there wasn't more of this in the gameplan.

Our Oline was simply over matched.

Not fully agreeing with this. Pass protect ok, Rudock just ate some of those sacks and should not have done that. Run block not so great, but run play calling not so great either.

LSU has been weak all season up the middle. The Iowa coaches should have gone up the gut and worn out the interior linemen. I was really surprised there wasn't more of this in the gameplan.
Couldn't agree w/ you more TJ. Seems like Davis decided we couldn't run on the stretch plays so we couldn't run at all. This team has been very good when getting all of the RB's touches during the game. Didn't even see Daniels and most here would argue that Canzeri should have been given double the touches he got. Weisman is usually very effective when going North/South. Why they thought we could run him off tackle is mind boggling....

Not fully agreeing with this. Pass protect ok, Rudock just ate some of those sacks and should not have done that. Run block not so great, but run play calling not so great either.

Well lets see..... Kent State gashed LSU for 58yds on the ground. Furman pounded them for 92 yds. With our B1G top Oline we managed 76yds on the ground. So our power running game is better than Kent St but not quite Furman level?

We don't have a very good Oline and it always shows against better teams. Our OLine was over matched big time

Well lets see..... Kent State gashed LSU for 58yds on the ground. Furman pounded them for 92 yds. With our B1G top Oline we managed 76yds on the ground. So our power running game is better than Kent St but not quite Furman level?

We don't have a very good Oline and it always shows against better teams. Our OLine was over matched big time

Never said the O line did a stupendous job today. I said pass protect ok, run block not as great.

Latest posts