Those who cut the cable..

NCHawker

Just curious how your Hawkeye watching has fared. Tomorrow I terminate my ATT Uverse. I was paying over $100 / mo for U200 service. I'm going instead with the Roku and Paying 45/mo for Sling. I'll get ESPN but not BTN.

We cut the cord some time ago, Spectrum here in TX, and went with PlayStation Vue. Demo’d all services and landed on PS Vue due to pic quality, channel availability (B1G) and dvr. Coupled that with Netflix, Hulu and other free svcs like Crackle. Saves us about $40 per month and haven’t looked back.

Last edited:
I will be cutting the cord soon, mid-june. Right now I have a recent $15 lower price after I called them but it still costs me about $92 a month total. All I am watching is some Golf Channel and NHL playoffs and a few TCM movies so that is pricey for 3 channels. I am getting ready to retire and dropping Directv needs to be done but I will look into the new Sling plan which I think has BTN and ESPN.

Otherwise I tend to watch the hawks at friends houses or go to a sports bar which are good alternatives.

In Texas and get BTN on YouTubeTV. Only thing is you cant get YTTV on Amazon because of a spat with Google right now. I run it on Chromecast but it woks well on Roku.

Used PS Vue for a while, then this past season with Hulu "Live". Quite "Live" last week, but looking at the Spectrum streaming package. Allegedly, pick of 10 channels (except HBO and other "premium" for $14.99/month. If it gets BTN and ESPNs, that's my gig this fall.

Cutting cable has its drawbacks IF you tend to watch a lot of "live", but most of what we watch at our house is watched on "delay", anyway. Hulu is fine for that. Add NBC (free), and you get NBC programs that aren't on Hulu. CBS doesn't put much on non-cable, so you need CBS All Access for $7. When Person of Interest was still on, I had it, cut it after the finale.

There are--literally--a crap ton of choices using Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., that the only reason to NOT cut cable is if, for reasons known only to God, you don't have high-speed internet in your area.

When I used YouTube via Roku upstairs there is a lot of latency / delays. Not sure that is a good option.

Check out YouTube TV. It has both ESPN and B1G. $40 a month I think.

Interesting. Ready to dump Concast because they dumped BTN outside of the B1G footprint. Total morons to not realize what percentage of their customers in the Southeast and particularly the Southwest went to B1G schools and still follow them.

Been with PS Vue for a year. Only issue I had during football season was local channels (ABC, FOX), need to get a bigger/outdoor antenna but was still able to stream the channels through my PC hooked up to my projector. I even bought a DVR box and flash drive that would allow me to DVR OTA channels once I get it set up

Check out YouTube TV. It has both ESPN and B1G. $40 a month I think.
Interesting. Ready to dump Concast because they dumped BTN outside of the B1G footprint. Total morons to not realize what percentage of their customers in the Southeast and particularly the Southwest went to B1G schools and still follow them.
Only works in a few big markets. Not everyone lives in large metros.

Last edited:
I just signed up for the month-long free trial of YouTube TV and so far we love it. I did notice last night when trying to watch live TV on FX, it was jumpy. There was a message at the top that said "you're using a 1st generation ChromeCast and performance may suffer". No big deal...I was planning to upgrade them anyway. Watched 3 other moves this weekend and had no problems at all. I'll be suspending my DirecTV service next week to force the wife and kids onto YouTube TV just to make sure they really do like it. If no complaints...bye-bye DirecTV.

I just signed up for the month-long free trial of YouTube TV and so far we love it. I did notice last night when trying to watch live TV on FX, it was jumpy. There was a message at the top that said "you're using a 1st generation ChromeCast and performance may suffer". No big deal...I was planning to upgrade them anyway. Watched 3 other moves this weekend and had no problems at all. I'll be suspending my DirecTV service next week to force the wife and kids onto YouTube TV just to make sure they really do like it. If no complaints...bye-bye DirecTV.
Let us know how it goes disconnecting DTV if you do it. It's easier leaving the Church of Scientology.

I'd highly recommend changing bank accounts and/or cancelling the cards you use for your payments before you call to cancel. They WILL try to hose you even if you're out of contract. Google the horror stories, I've experienced it also myself. And keep any eye on your credit score if you don't already.

On Vue for 2 yrs. Pay $45/mo. OTA antenna. Never missed a Hawk game.
If you don't mind me asking, what OTA antenna did you get and how did you set it up?

My living room is the northern most room in the house facing the street with a large bay window, but there are quite a few tall maple trees across the street.

Just curious how your Hawkeye watching has fared. Tomorrow I terminate my ATT Uverse. I was paying over $100 / mo for U200 service. I'm going instead with the Roku and Paying 45/mo for Sling. I'll get ESPN but not BTN.

When I used YouTube via Roku upstairs there is a lot of latency / delays. Not sure that is a good option.

Could be your wireless. Get a top of the line dual band (2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz) router and use the 5Ghz band for your tvs/rokus to connect to.

If you don't mind me asking, what OTA antenna did you get and how did you set it up?

My living room is the northern most room in the house facing the street with a large bay window, but there are quite a few tall maple trees across the street.

Just an in-room RCA HD antenna. I’m also in northern most room in my house, but haven’t had any issues...probably because towers are north of me within a 5 mile radius. Do have trees, but they don’t seem to be an issue...

Let us know how it goes disconnecting DTV if you do it. It's easier leaving the Church of Scientology.

I'd highly recommend changing bank accounts and/or cancelling the cards you use for your payments before you call to cancel. They WILL try to hose you even if you're out of contract. Google the horror stories, I've experienced it also myself. And keep any eye on your credit score if you don't already.

I called the Iowa Attorney General's office on Directv. If you have them you better scour over your monthly statement. They like to give you deals like free receiver for a year then sneak in the charge, I got one free year of NFL Sunday Ticket then cancelled the next year because of the usual negative checkoff yet in July there it was a charge for nearly $200 with 3 more charges to come.

When I talked to the Attorney General office attorney I asked if they got a lot of consumer complaints on DirectV and he said yes, a very emphatic "Yes"

I called the Iowa Attorney General's office on Directv. If you have them you better scour over your monthly statement. They like to give you deals like free receiver for a year then sneak in the charge, I got one free year of NFL Sunday Ticket then cancelled the next year because of the usual negative checkoff yet in July there it was a charge for nearly $200 with 3 more charges to come.

When I talked to the Attorney General office attorney I asked if they got a lot of consumer complaints on DirectV and he said yes, a very emphatic "Yes"
@Chickenlounge, I’d take the above advice, along with mine from earlier. They are dangerous

Latest posts