This year, the stats are lying

The San Diego Chargers currently rank 1st in the AFC in offense and defense. They are 5-5. Stats don't show everything that is going on.

Iowa needs to bring in an offensive coordinator that will call his own offense and not just do what Kirk wants, because obviously that isn't working.

I wonder what the special teams stats are for this year. besides DJK special teams has been horrid. The opposing team usually gets good field position out of it as well. Would be interesting to compare this year to last in that regard. If someone has the time to do so, dooo it.

Lack of Offensive Imagination:1st
Failure to consistently get ball in hands of playmakers: 1st
Refusal to adjust gameplan when we cannot move the ball: 1st
Being too conservative when playing with a lead:1st

Jon, Those are the stats I see!

FIRE KOK!!!

A below average offense with this much talent is pathetic! If we cant have a good consistent offense with this much talent, when will we ever have a good offense? Coaches wasted a very talented team!

We could have thrown the 5 yard slant 10 more times yesterday. Minny was giving that to us all day. This is what other teams do to us. Find our weakness and exploit it. We went to it 3-4 times, when we could have 13-14. This is what infuriates me about our offensive play calling.

With a few exceptions, the one constant with all of our disappointing teams is the offense struggles to move the ball. Too many promising drives hit a brick wall and too many 3-and-outs in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. I'm officially jumping onto the KOK-has-to-go bandwagon.

The intangibles killed Iowa this year, whereas last year it put Iowa into a BCS game. In today's college fball there is a fairly fine line between winning and losing. While one could argue that Iowa was literally 3 or 4 plays from winning 10 games, one could also argue that Iowa was literally 2 plays from being 5-7 too.

Not to make an analogy to my clones but ISU was 2 plays from being 7-5. 2 plays. Most years Iowa's staff puts the players in the right position to make those plays, this year it didn't. A fine line.

I'm not totally sure I agree.. The winning formula seems to be to build a lead of 2 TD's or so with a more agressive offense (passing the ball), and then let the defense preserve the win from the 3rd quarter until the end of the game. With a lead, we usually go to the "run-run-run-punt" offense. I seldom have seen us be able to just hand off time after time and keep moving the ball.

Did you not watch the Northwestern game? Stanzi went for the deep ball up 10 in the 4th quarter and got picked. Then the game spiraled out of control. All about execution!!

This team packed it in after the MSU win. I guess that was their season. Good riddance to these seniors except a few. They should not go to the bowl game if they are not going to show up on the field. Let the backups play and leave the starters and seniors in Iowa City

The 2006 seniors also packed it in during the season. The constant between 2006 and 2010 is the coaching staff. To blame everything on the players doesn't tell the whole story.

"This year, the stats are lying"

And you know what? You can throw Stanzi's 'Heisman-esque' numbers into the lot as well, which I've been saying for weeks.

The stats don't mean squat when you lose like this.

one of the stats Jon didnt mention was tackles for loss, or percentages the Iowa defense stopped a team on 3rd down. when you never make tackles for loss, and dont make many INTs, your defense will never leave the field. this year theres been more 80 plus yard drives than I can remember an Iowa defense giving up. NW never throws the ball downfield, yet every play Greenwood is 30 yards deep. Hes a non factor and other than the Wisconsin game, he never makes a play on the ball. Im not saying we need to blitz more, but I dont think we blitzed once yesterday--thats incredible. At least fake it once in a while to make the other team think.

and the quick passes to WRs, have been there all year. Wheres the jailbreak screen? we have two WRs who can make a big play but instead we go double tight ends and try to pound it into a 9 man in the box defense.

some of the moves we make on offense are mind boggling--like against OSU on the last drive on 3rd and ten, we have Ricky taking the snap under center. and he gets sacked. did Kirk think maybe we'd go play action there and fake OSU out?

I spent over an hour twice a week with two future NFL players from the 2005 team. After the NW loss that year, those guys had a totally different personality. It really felt like they had just moved on. Think the same thing happened for some of our players this year.

KF needs to wake up. To have the 60 best offensive team with a 5th year senior QB and the best WR tandem in maybe the entire tenure of KF, and you can't score points.

The offensive line was better than expected, but they couldn't overcome the predictability of this offense. It's sad.

The defense was good enough this year. In the big games, our offense didn't put any pressure on the other team to score points. They were always in the game. The only game where we did get a substantial lead was MSU...how did that turn out for us?

KF has to make changes...if he doesn't, he's just condoning what has gone on here. I get wanting the continuity with your staff, but I honestly would have trouble watching this team offensively next year if KOK is running the show. Can't we elevate someone with some creativity and ability to keep a team off balance defensively? My god, the last four games alone should prompt KF to fire KOK. That was dreadful.

It is not about continuity, it is about comfort. KF has the perfect job. He doesn't have to answer to anybody. Has a staff full of people who won't challenge him. Gets to surround himself with friends. Exists in a place with one of the most anemic presses in major conference cities.

It's the O-line and I believe the size is the focus point. We had very few occasions where we lined up and ran the ball down someone's throat-couldn't do it. Most successful running plays were wide sweeps or the back cutting back as Coker did a few times since the blocking was not there. The line was a good pass blocking line where they could keep the defensive line in front of them-that is why Stanzi had a great statisitcal year. However, when the game was on the line, the opposing team brought the heat and the line crumbled- sack, sack, sack.
We should have gone 5 wide and thrown the junk 5 yard passes all day. Save the play-action for when your line is able to run block effectively.

It is not about continuity, it is about comfort. KF has the perfect job. He doesn't have to answer to anybody. Has a staff full of people who won't challenge him. Gets to surround himself with friends. Exists in a place with one of the most anemic presses in major conference cities.

yes

This defense produces no pass rush - there is no doubt in my mind that this defensive line is one of the most overated groups I can ever recall- not that htey are horrible but way overated

This. No one around here has the balls to ask Ferentz some hard questions and not just let him side step them. He gets softball questions lobbed at him at every press conference but every reporter around is here is too afraid of ******* him off to ask a question that he might not like.

Where do you guys get being too "conservative with playcalling" when we have a lead? I'll give you the PSU game...but the rest of the season? Throwing the ball when we have the lead in the 4th Q has cost us game after game.

NW, 11 minutes to go, their 38 yd line, Iowa up 10....throws deep into the wind. Picked off....you know the rest.

OSU, 7 minutes to go, own 20 yd line, Iowa up 4.... Iowa calls 3 straight passes. Punt....you know the rest.

Minny, 9 minutes to go, own 40 yd line, Iowa up 4....fade route on 2nd down, 2 yard pass pattern on 3rd down. Punt....you know the rest.

The belief that Iowa still tries to pound the ball all the time is a fallacy. 100 yard rusher in the 1st half against Indiana yet throws on 9 of 12 plays inside the 12 yard line....settling for 3 out of 4 on fg's at the half.

Iowa should have pounded the ball more in all of those situations and likely would have won...and blown out Indy.

This. No one around here has the balls to ask Ferentz some hard questions and not just let him side step them. He gets softball questions lobbed at him at every press conference but every reporter around is here is too afraid of ******* him off to ask a question that he might not like.

I dont think this is the case. Ferentz gets asked decent questions, but he simply dodges them like a politician.

He doesn't want to throw anybody under the bus, and wants to handle issues in-house -- the way it should be.

Telling the media what he REALLY thinks is wrong isn't going to fix anything any quicker. It just helps US know, which does nothing for the actual team.

Latest posts