This year, the stats are lying

the stats just show that if we could have had even an above average O, then we'd have probably won at least two of the games we lost. the huge problem is, if you can't do it with a 3 year starting QB and the most decorated WR in team history, who can you do it with?

I dont think they packed it in then. I think the NW loss was the crusher, but I also think it was easy for them to get up for OSU game at home on Senior Day...after that loss, nothing left in tank.

The offense hit a low point vs NW, 2-14 third down conversions. Perhaps that created a rift between offense and defense as the defense was on the field for 50 plays in the second half.

I think it was more like nothing left to play for. They lost the big prize and just went through the motions the rest of the games.

The belief that Iowa still tries to pound the ball all the time is a fallacy. 100 yard rusher in the 1st half against Indiana yet throws on 9 of 12 plays inside the 12 yard line....settling for 3 out of 4 on fg's at the half.

Being conservative is not the same as going away from what's working.

In the Indiana game, we went away from what was working when we got to the red zone. A "bend but don't break" offense I called it at the time.

The play calling wasn't conservative in that game, it was just plain stupid.

I think there are four primary reasons why we finished 7-5:

1. Wegher and Hampton never played. Huge losses.
2. We had a young offensive line. They played all right, but not great. Certainly not a great line (maybe next year).
3. A young linebacker corps that suffered a ton of injuries. They just didn't make the plays the way Edds and Angerer did.
4. And last, but really the primary reason: NO DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

Under the circumstances, perhaps 7-5 is about where we should have finished. We were 2-5 in games that were within 7 points in the 4th quarter. That is where Parker would have made a difference, IMO.

Ferentz needs to solve the defensive coordinator problem soon. I don't think Parker will ever be 100% again. It is time to retire. We all reach that point eventually.

Hayden knew when to quit. Norm needs to know as well.

I dont think they packed it in then. I think the NW loss was the crusher, but I also think it was easy for them to get up for OSU game at home on Senior Day...after that loss, nothing left in tank.

The offense hit a low point vs NW, 2-14 third down conversions. Perhaps that created a rift between offense and defense as the defense was on the field for 50 plays in the second half.

Jon - I asked in another post for some evidence of why you believe some of these players didn't quit. What I saw yesterday suggests some very key players were not going all out. I want to believe you, but need some evidence that what you say is correct.

Scoring Defense: 7th
Rushing Defense 8th
Total Defense: 15th
Turnover Margin: 7th
Pass Effic Defense: 18th

Had you given me these numbers before the season I would have felt 10 wins minimum.

Total offense: 61st. Yet another 'below average' finish for the Iowa offense. Average is 60 this year, as there are 120 teams in FBS

DJK is 11th in kickoff returns,

When you compare the top set of numbers to the rank for total offense, the numbers actually don't lie and pretty well sum up the season.

Although it is fashionable to blame the defense for giving up late scoring drives by opponents in each of Iowa's losses, my recollection is that the D was often gassed because of being on the field for so long by that point. Poor special teams play frequently put the Iowa D in bad field position and the Iowa offense didn't do enough to keep the D off the field or to score to cushion the lead.

Might be interesting to compare the percentage of time the defense was on the field this season to the time the offense was. My guess is it would be pretty lop-sided for the defense, particularly in the losses.

When you compare the top set of numbers to the rank for total offense, the numbers actually don't lie and pretty well sum up the season.

Although it is fashionable to blame the defense for giving up late scoring drives by opponents in each of Iowa's losses, my recollection is that the D was often gassed because of being on the field for so long by that point. Poor special teams play frequently put the Iowa D in bad field position and the Iowa offense didn't do enough to keep the D off the field or to score to cushion the lead.

Might be interesting to compare the percentage of time the defense was on the field this season to the time the offense was. My guess is it would be pretty lop-sided for the defense, particularly in the losses.

if the defense could make a tackle for loss or not play 15 yards deep on a 3rd and 12 occasionally, theyd be on the field less.

Something happened for sure behind closed doors because this team quit coach's and players it was a team effort for sure.

Latest posts