This team is missing an inside guy

TwinCitiesHawk

Weaksauce
Even in the blowout losses, they've had decent turnover numbers, made a decent free throw percentage, and have had success in the fast break. But, they don't have a guy who can fight for rebounds, score consistently inside and make the defense honest, and kick it back out to the shooters.

As I mentioned in the game chat, the game plan hasn't been the problem this year. I hate hearing this as much as the next guy, but the problem is missing shots that they should make. Even if they hit an average number of shots, they're in the game against Creighton, Cambell, and Clemson.

Hopefully, that improves throughout the year. i trust Fran to right the ship.

Agree with Wild Turkey. We can't shoot, guard or rebound because we are have Horizon League talent on this team. No excuse for McCaffrey keeping Archie and offering Olaseni at the expense of getting a couple juco guys in here. At this point I would rather see Stoakes on the court than May. We somehow have assembled a team of marginally athletic white guys that can't shoot. Northwestern looks like Duke compared to us.

Even if we had a good inside guy he still cant guard the outside shots. this team is slow!

No, but this team, right now, has two options. Either sag inside and allow teams to shoot the three (which they did tonight), or guard the three and allow teams to go inside (like they did against Creighton). They apparently are incapable of doing both.

We just don't have enough players. May, Gatens, McCabe and Brommer do not have the quickness or ball skills to play at this level. They are not getting better, and in fact are not suited for Fran's up-tempo, pressing style. Cartwright is a senior so he doesn't factor into the future, although he is a good player, IMO.

Fran is starting to bring in better players. Oglesby looks like a terrific player to me - he needs more minutes. White is raw, but pretty quick and athletic. I also like Marble's quickness and athleticism. Basabe is a good talent, but he appears to be in the doghouse right now.

I would give Oglesby, White, Marble and Basabe maximum minutes, with Cartwright at the point, obviously. Build for the future. The others are simply bench players getting minimal minutes. Fran needs to start building for the future and limiting minutes for players who cannot get better. Add in the recruits next year, and you might see some improvement.

Better players coming next year.

10 wins for this team, tops.

If only we had that guy who could get us 12, 7, and 5 a night and shut down the other team's big guy and penetration, we'd be so much better.
-Every team in the history of basketball

Even in the blowout losses, they've had decent turnover numbers, made a decent free throw percentage, and have had success in the fast break. But, they don't have a guy who can fight for rebounds, score consistently inside and make the defense honest, and kick it back out to the shooters.

As I mentioned in the game chat, the game plan hasn't been the problem this year. I hate hearing this as much as the next guy, but the problem is missing shots that they should make. Even if they hit an average number of shots, they're in the game against Creighton, Cambell, and Clemson.

Hopefully, that improves throughout the year. i trust Fran to right the ship.

If only we had that guy who could get us 12, 7, and 5 a night and shut down the other team's big guy and penetration, we'd be so much better.
-Every team in the history of basketball

Most teams have an inside guy.

Who do you trust for Iowa to take the ball to the hoop?

Next year Meyer and Woody can be those guys.

That's next year though, and Basabe, Archie, and Brommer need to be those guys, and they haven't been.

Latest posts