This team goes as far as Baer and Uhl take them

hwks1

Baer and Uhl have disappeared over the last 3 games.

Really need them to toughen up. Start contributing.

No bench points and this team doesn't go very far.....

Hawks were dominant when Baer and Uhl were on a roll. In a game like IU, OSU, Mich...you need bench contributions.

We aren't getting bench contributions and that needs to turn around quick, with the remaining games

decent point. Every team that goes deep has a stud, or two (like Uthoff and Jok) But they also have the unsung role players.

We have a great Sr/Jr core...but if we can bring a couple guys off the bench that add something extra... that's a difference maker. How often do you see a guy come off the bench in the tourney and turn in 3-5 dynamic minutes...that change the game, or bump the Mo when a starter takes his blow. A key rebound or two...a put back...a big 3, they're killers.

Uhl and Baer are going to be important.

Last edited:
Wagner looking better with more minutes. Reminds me a little of a poor man's Reggie Evans. He pounds the glass and can't shoot.
I bet if he plays 25 minutes a game next year he averages 8 and 8.

Oglesby 2.0

Didn't think Fran would make the same mistake again...but he did.

Ellingson plays less than 10 minutes a game. Oglesby never played less than 16.5 mpg in any of his four seasons. Ellingson is being used more in the way that Oglesby should have been. He's fine to put out there for a few minutes to give Clemmons/Gesell/Jok a breather and not be a total defensive liability. He's not someone you should count on for extensive minutes. Which is fine, since that's not what Fran is doing with him, unlike what he did with JO.

I think the real problem is we basically go 8 deep (BE barely plays), so in essence we have 3 forwards off the bench, which makes our rotations kind of weird.

I almost get the sense that Fran may be second guessing Redshirting Moss at this point, as I gotta believe he understand the schemes by now, and it doesn't appear Fran has much confidence in Brady or Fleming. Maybe we should give Williams a shot, as Brady isn't hitting 3s right now anyway.

Baer and Wagner were good last night. Uhl has been struggling for a few games now but it doesn't really mean anything. All players hit a funk for a few games during a season. Baer going 0-0 isn't a big deal at all if he's gunna crash the boards as hard as he did.

A little history about bench play. Iowa went 14-0 in 69-70 with 6 players. Ben McGilmer off the bench and starters John Johnson, Downtown Freddy Brown, Chad Calabria, Stick Vidnovic and Dick Jensen, And if you think they did it because the game was slower they were up and down the court averaging more than 100 points per game without the 3 point shot! Nice to have a good bench but it can be done without. Clones are kind of the same type of team with experience and talent and little bench. Either team could make a run in the tournament

I definitely agree Iowa needs more contribution from uhl and Baer, however I think Wagner needs to pick up more minutes, but beyond that I don't think there is any harm in going 8 deep. If uthoff and jok continue to go for 20 and 20, they can carry this team deep regardless of how little contribution the bench provides.

Wagner looking better with more minutes. Reminds me a little of a poor man's Reggie Evans. He pounds the glass and can't shoot.
I bet if he plays 25 minutes a game next year he averages 8 and 8.

I thought exactly the same last night. He has the same build and will be about the same size by the time he is a junior. Kid is strong, athletic and determined.

Baer, Uhl and Wagner are all contributing valuable production off the bench. Having such depth is an asset to this team for sure. I am also sure that they will all continue to progress.

Uhl needs to start attacking the glass again. Thats what got him going earlier in the year and everything else fell into place for him as far as scoring. Wagner and Baer are fine, just arent scoring. Baer was active and Wagner was all over the glass. These guys arent as off as poeple think, they just arent scoring.