This team goes as far as Baer and Uhl take them

I have no problem with going 8 deep and I think we are getting quality minutes from Uhl, Baer, and Wagner.

Again, IMO the problem is that of our 8 man rotation, we have 5 bigs and 3 guards. All three of those guards start, which makes our rotation funky, and really Jok is more of a wing then a guard. I believe we could sorely use another guard to contribute. Just my thoughts.

In regards to the OPs statement I completely disagree. I still believe this team will go as far as MG can take them.

If we're gonna be great we need productive minutes from the bench. At the very least we need rebounds and defense. We're good without great minutes but we might not even share a title if we don't get them going.

A little history about bench play. Iowa went 14-0 in 69-70 with 6 players. Ben McGilmer off the bench and starters John Johnson, Downtown Freddy Brown, Chad Calabria, Stick Vidnovic and Dick Jensen, And if you think they did it because the game was slower they were up and down the court averaging more than 100 points per game without the 3 point shot! Nice to have a good bench but it can be done without.

I have often thought about how that year compares with current college bball. Is it conditioning? Did lax defense make it easier to run up scores?

Yes, you are right about the long distance running prior to the season. In fact, I think they ran with the cross country team. It was part of Ralph Millers strategy to be in tip top shape and tough down the stretch of basketball games. It worked.

Apparently Iowa is now not winning by enough. Some people just need to step away from the cliff. Not every win is going to be a double-digit win.

Good points. But I think it's important to note, we need the bench to contribute more *scoring*. Even in games they have not scored much, they have still contributed in other areas: blocks, steals, rebounds. So let's not forget that. But yes, more scoring would be nice.

Also, it would be nice to only see extended minutes from Baer and Uhl with some Wagner coming in as well. But lets not forget we need to rest our guards some, and that is why BE keeps playing. I don't like it but I understand why he is in. Also, lets not forget we are graduating 2 guards and that any time Brady gets in, it'll only help him in the future.

They can only do what they can do while on the floor. They all hustle, they all try to do their best for the minutes they have. The kid that's impressed is Wagner. I like him bangin' inside, valuable minutes for him. Baer does what he does, and that's hustle, get after loose balls...he does what he can to help the team. Ellingson is still pretty raw, but is getting valuable minutes as well. Dom (IMO) tries too hard at times. What's his game? Outside? Inside? Both? He's done a great job. I think he needs some of Wagner's muscle, but, again, valuable minutes, and this will help these kids next year...

A little history about bench play. Iowa went 14-0 in 69-70 with 6 players. Ben McGilmer off the bench and starters John Johnson, Downtown Freddy Brown, Chad Calabria, Stick Vidnovic and Dick Jensen, And if you think they did it because the game was slower they were up and down the court averaging more than 100 points per game without the 3 point shot! Nice to have a good bench but it can be done without. Clones are kind of the same type of team with experience and talent and little bench. Either team could make a run in the tournament

The 70 team sounds amazing, but they played in a 10 member conference at the time. Likely played a round robin schedule. How bad was the conference at that time?

Uhl needs to start attacking the glass again. Thats what got him going earlier in the year and everything else fell into place for him as far as scoring. Wagner and Baer are fine, just arent scoring. Baer was active and Wagner was all over the glass. These guys arent as off as poeple think, they just arent scoring.

Uhl did attack the glass..about 3 times I remember..He made some nice moves and got his shot off cleanly ,but they just rimmed out. His outside shot has been off. The games against MSU it seemed like everything they threw up went in.

Apparently Iowa is now not winning by enough. Some people just need to step away from the cliff. Not every win is going to be a double-digit win.

I think some fans are concerned that this team has been man-handled its last two games, once by Indiana which was walloped by a team the Hokks beat handily twice earlier in the season, and then by cellar-dwelling Minnesota. Iowa's leads late in the game were tenuous at best and we were one made trey away from an overtime game or even a loss.

This team is giving off vibes it peaked too early.

I think some fans are concerned that this team has been man-handled its last two games, once by Indiana which was walloped by a team the Hokks beat handily twice earlier in the season, and then by cellar-dwelling Minnesota. Iowa's leads late in the game were tenuous at best and we were one made trey away from an overtime game or even a loss.

I wasn't happy with that home performance yesterday either, but I don't think Minny is as bad as their 0-13 BIG record. They have a lot of close losses. Minny hit shots yesterday that they have not been hitting consistently all year, mainly 3's to keep them in the game. They have been a pretty bad shooting team, and still have close losses. Indiana had a huge home advantage so not surprised they took a loss there, although expected the Hawks to win. But, a home game is a home game in the BIG.

Pretty much every team loses to good teams on the road. Some good teams lose to some not good teams on the road. Lots of teams barely beat not good teams some times too. Sure there could be signs that they are struggling compared to earlier in the season. But it could easily be a sign that Iowa is a college basketball team. Considering that sports are fun and this season never happens making spazz posts about how iowa could choke or whatever is ******* grating.