This team better get back to what got them here.

I challenge you to look at it from a different perspective. Is it possible that our intensity has not dropped off as much as our opponents having a lot more tape and games to evaluate? Great coaches in the big....some of the best players in the country...they are going to close the gap at some point. I don't see woody being any less intense...uthoff is playing hard...i don't think jok takes plays off. Better point guard play from mason...trimble...ferrell...those are good creators who break down defenses. Don't just assume our intensity isn't there. Zone vs Indiana was just moronic and we stayed in it. They just crashed the week side guard and wing/post on offense any time a shot went up....bad coaching decision to stay in zone. Otherwise, I feel our guys are playing with every bit of intensity as they were at the beginning of the big season.
Holy crap I could not agree more. We are at the point in the season where there aren't any secrets. Teams have run the offensive sets they are going to be running over and over and over. So of course teams adjust. Even the bad teams/coaches are out there doing their homework. MN is not as bad as their record indicates either. I think along the lines you are for sure. I haven't seen an effort deficiency from any of our guys. Shots weren't falling early but that'll happen. If Iowa can make their dang free throws and rebound better I think the rest will take care of itself. Iowa has Uthoff and Jok. (nobody else has a combo even close to that) and a team full of role players that are pretty good. I like when Clemmons goes to the hole. He needs to do that more. (so long as he makes more of his FTs) As far as our D goes I was yelling at the TV during the Indiana game to get out of that zone too. I know it's effective at time. But a team like Indiana just eats it up. When you have a penetrating quick ball handler like Yogi and shooters for him to find he's going to get them open looks and then we can't rebound when we are in it worth a darn. It's a double whammy that's bad for us. I thought they needed to put Clemmons on him more one on one then they did. Seemed like they had MG on him more in those situations too. Oh well hopefully lesson learned for when they come to town...

Defensive rebounding is part of playing defense. That's why they call it "defensive rebounding". Did you think I was specifically talking about our on ball defense? Man to man defense? Zone defense? 3/4 court trapping defense? If you play great defense for 29 seconds, force a missed shot but allow an offensive rebound/easy put back......that's not going to get it done.
I'm done discussing this. If anyone else wants me to get into specifics, I charge $50 per hour.

What a joke of a response. Next time we're getting killed on the boards I'm gunna yell "play some defense!" and see how many people look at me like I'm an idiot. Then I'll just look at them and say"defensive rebounding is part of defense".

What a joke of a response. Next time we're getting killed on the boards I'm gunna yell "play some defense!" and see how many people look at me like I'm an idiot. Then I'll just look at them and say"defensive rebounding is part of defense".

Defensive rebounding is a part of defense but I'm not sure why he got so pissy. There is a certain level of separation between rebounding and offense/defense though I'm not sure why.

Lost in the loss was the fact that we shut down their three point game in the second half.

A lot of their 3's in the first half came off of offensive rebound kick outs too. They out "defensed" us on the glass quite a bit in that half.

Defensive rebounding is a part of defense but I'm not sure why he got so pissy. There is a certain level of separation between rebounding and offense/defense though I'm not sure why.

Rebounding has its own name for a reason. When a team gets killed on the defensive glass, do people say "they really struggled rebounding the ball" or "they really struggled playing defense? If a team scores 80 without getting a single offensive rebound, did they struggle on offense? Yes what he said was technically true, but it made no sense at all in the context of the conversation , so I stand by what I said. It was a joke of a response. I really want to hear how he digs his way out of this but hearing stupid isn't worth 50 bucks.

I challenge you to look at it from a different perspective. Is it possible that our intensity has not dropped off as much as our opponents having a lot more tape and games to evaluate? Great coaches in the big....some of the best players in the country...they are going to close the gap at some point. I don't see woody being any less intense...uthoff is playing hard...i don't think jok takes plays off. Better point guard play from mason...trimble...ferrell...those are good creators who break down defenses. Don't just assume our intensity isn't there. Zone vs Indiana was just moronic and we stayed in it. They just crashed the week side guard and wing/post on offense any time a shot went up....bad coaching decision to stay in zone. Otherwise, I feel our guys are playing with every bit of intensity as they were at the beginning of the big season.

What he said x10

I'm just glad we have basketball geniuses like lightning1 to to explain the nuances of the college game to us morons.

He should get in a discussion with Dan Dakitch as neither one is ever wrong.

Sorry...But I have to ask. Did I dream that we won yesterday or did we actually win and are alone in first place?

We're Iowa, basketball powerhouse. We demand better than winning by 4 over a bad team once and only being in first place by a game. I demand perfection from random kids who go to my college, it's why I'm so successful.

I didn't invite the complainers. I only pointed out the obvious. Our defense has been horrible lately. If it stays that way, we won't go very far.

Can't help but picture Randy Quaid in Major league.

Just ribbing ya Lightning :cool:

Last edited:
I didn't invite the complainers. I only pointed out the obvious. Our defense has been horrible lately. If it stays that way, we won't go very far.

Let's examine the statement "Our defense has been horrible lately".

Minnesota, 38% FG and 27% 3pt. Minnesota season avg is 41% FG and 31% 3pt. (Steals were equal, but we had more blocks and less turnovers)
Indiana, 42% FG and 36% 3pt. Indiana season avg is 50% FG and 41% 3pt. (They had one more steal, one more block but 3 more turnovers)
Illinois, 39% FG and 32% 3pt. Illinois season avg is 43% FG and 36% 3pt. (We had more steals, more blocks and less turnovers)
Penn St, 30% FG and 5% 3pt. Penn St season avg is 40% FG and 30% 3pt. (We had less steals and blocks and more turnovers)

That is probably "lately" as it is the past two weeks. So tell me, if we are holding teams below their season average of shooting percentages, how is that bad defense? Our rebounding hasn't been consistent, and we aren't passing and cutting with the same sense of purpose as we did earlier in the season... but those aren't really defensive issues.

Lost in the loss was the fact that we shut down their three point game in the second half.

Correct. The stats, if you look at them, were incredibly equal. Both teams attempted 63 shots and made 29 of them. Both teams had 19 offensive rebounds. Both teams had 18 personal fouls. The real telling stat was that we shot 13-23 from the FT line (while they were 18-21). THAT is not getting it done.

I agree with you. While they are related, rebounding and defense are NOT related. You can be a great rebounder and an awful defender; likewise you can be a great defender and an awful rebounder. Mistaking the two is like mistaking a good shotblocker for a good defender... case in point: Jameel McKay - great shot blocker but terrible defender.