This staff blew it

loesshillshawk

Chance to hit the portal to get bigger and more athletic...crickets. Louisville signs 3 studs, LSU is going to get Van Lith and Morrow, or worse South Carolina gets Morrow. Inexcusable and if we all think we can compete with UCONN, LSU, and SC you are crazy. Truly a big time miss, and only 1 scholarship is not an excuse. The NIL can pay for their education and they can walk on. Our window is NOW.

I'm disappointed but I'm looking at the way Iowa was painted by Coach Staley and the national media. They really painted Iowa as racist without calling them racist. Everything was implied, makes me sick how the coaches and players manipulated the whole event and used Iowa as a backdrop for a national narrative about race. Iowa has always recruited minority athletes but it's just not easy in a state without large population centers. Now it's time for the coaches to look for the transfer that is being overlooked by the major powers and fits into what Iowa does. Better to have a player who wants to be here anyway. It really is unbelievable with all the positives that Iowa brings to the table that the best don't want to come here. The player I can't believe is Morrow. LSU or SC are so loaded in the frontcourt her minutes will be limited for either school.

I'm disappointed but I'm looking at the way Iowa was painted by Coach Staley and the national media. They really painted Iowa as racist without calling them racist. Everything was implied, makes me sick how the coaches and players manipulated the whole event and used Iowa as a backdrop for a national narrative about race. Iowa has always recruited minority athletes but it's just not easy in a state without large population centers. Now it's time for the coaches to look for the transfer that is being overlooked by the major powers and fits into what Iowa does. Better to have a player who wants to be here anyway. It really is unbelievable with all the positives that Iowa brings to the table that the best don't want to come here. The player I can't believe is Morrow. LSU or SC are so loaded in the frontcourt her minutes will be limited for either school.
We’re not a flashy place to play with a bunch of NIL money. Never will be compared to warm weather schools.

Once Clark is gone we will be back to a couple thousand fans per game and some decent dance runs as long as Bluder is here, and it is what it is. Just gotta enjoy it while it lasts.

We’re not a flashy place to play with a bunch of NIL money. Never will be compared to warm weather schools.

Once Clark is gone we will be back to a couple thousand fans per game and some decent dance runs as long as Bluder is here, and it is what it is. Just gotta enjoy it while it lasts.
You would think though that a National Title Appearance and Clark would add some major value to some major player though. If not.....and even after these things we are not flashy enough....that would just suck....I would really hope that is not the case. You would think we could pay up for one big fish.

Do you think there is any chance that Bluder is content with what she has and is not going after these players?

You would think though that a National Title Appearance and Clark would add some major value to some major player though. If not.....and even after these things we are not flashy enough....that would just suck....I would really hope that is not the case. You would think we could pay up for one big fish.

Do you think there is any chance that Bluder is content with what she has and is not going after these players?
The first thing is that for the next two years any player who comes here is going to live way back under the shadow of Clark. Sorry, but the most elite players don’t want to do that. Clark is worth a few million bucks now and the college game has been and will continue to be seriously lucrative for her, much more so than the WNBA would be. No truly elite player wants to go to a place where they’re going to be the red headed step child for two years.

The second big thing is the setting. Yeah WBB got pretty popular in Iowa City this year, but would you rather play for a flashy west coast team with a bunch (not just one) of semi superstar players on the west coast or southern US, or would you rather go spend your winter being known as “not-Caitlin Clark” in a tiny town in Flyover, USA where you can’t go outside without a coat, hat, and gloves for 5 months out of the year?

Let’s take the Old Gold goggles off for a second and objectively look at the situation. Yeah, teams and staffs at LSU, South Carolina, UCLA might be asshole personalities, but they have a whole lot of flash, panache, and national media attention, not to mention beautiful year round weather for the most part…Oceans nearby, close to the glitz of Hollywood, LA, New Orleans, Texas gulf shores, etc which is huge to kids.

Be honest. If you were a 20 something elite women’s player won’t zero connections to the state of Iowa would you want all that stuff I just mentioned and a bunch of NIL to boot, or would it be more enticing to you to get a HyVee commercial and hang out at the Ped Mall with a bunch of local yokels at the Airliner when it’s 20 below outside, listening to everyone talk about Caitlin Clark?

Let’s get real here.

It really is unbelievable with all the positives that Iowa brings to the table that the best don't want to come here.
Lol, tell that to a 20 year old in Iowa City in January when her friends are posting to Instagram from the beach in California or downtown Nawlins, or the Texas gulf area.

But hey, we got blizzards, 90 days of overcast skies, and the Wig and Pen to make up for it.

The first thing is that for the next two years any player who comes here is going to live way back under the shadow of Clark. Sorry, but the most elite players don’t want to do that. Clark is worth a few million bucks now and the college game has been and will continue to be seriously lucrative for her, much more so than the WNBA would be. No truly elite player wants to go to a place where they’re going to be the red headed step child for two years.

The second big thing is the setting. Yeah WBB got pretty popular in Iowa City this year, but would you rather play for a flashy west coast team with a bunch (not just one) of semi superstar players on the west coast or southern US, or would you rather go spend your winter being known as “not-Caitlin Clark” in a tiny town in Flyover, USA where you can’t go outside without a coat, hat, and gloves for 5 months out of the year?

Let’s take the Old Gold goggles off for a second and objectively look at the situation. Yeah, teams and staffs at LSU, South Carolina, UCLA might be asshole personalities, but they have a whole lot of flash, panache, and national media attention, not to mention beautiful year round weather for the most part…Oceans nearby, close to the glitz of Hollywood, LA, New Orleans, Texas gulf shores, etc which is huge to kids.

Be honest. If you were a 20 something elite women’s player won’t zero connections to the state of Iowa would you want all that stuff I just mentioned and a bunch of NIL to boot, or would it be more enticing to you to get a HyVee commercial and hang out at the Ped Mall with a bunch of local yokels at the Airliner when it’s 20 below outside, listening to everyone talk about Caitlin Clark?

Let’s get real here.
Man we should just crawl under a rock...how can we compete with all of that? I think those are potentially valid reasons....and that said I just saw Iowa play for the National Title....that has to be worth something.

If I’m a center or power forward I would jump at the opportunity to play with Caitlin. Caitlin is often looking for an opportunity to get an assist. Sure you are playing second fiddle to her but the fact that she’s going to get you the ball in scoring position puts you in a position to be a superstar. Monica wasn’t a great athlete. A decent to good big makes Iowa a national title contender.

I heard from someone who knows more than I do, that their backup plan was Denae Fritz from ISU. I don't know much about her, but sounds a lot like Warnock. Apparently, there's been some buzz on an ISU forum that she is visiting or has visited.

2 days ago Sabreena Merchant of The Athletic wrote this in response to a myriad questions by Hawk fans:
(sorry for the varying size of the text. It's a copy & paste, & the 2nd paragraph just came out smaller)

When looking at Iowa’s 2023-24 roster, the backcourt positions are set. Clark returns, along with Gabbie Marshall and Kate Martin, and a trio of underclassmen guards (Sydney Affolter, Jana Gyamfi and Taylor McCabe) should be able to handle the backup perimeter minutes. However, rising sophomore Hannah Stuelke and rising junior Addison O’Grady are the frontcourt options to replace Czinano and McKenna Warnock, but neither has shown the capability to be as efficient as their predecessors. One would think that any big in the transfer portal would be dying to play with Clark, but Lauren Betts (Stanford) went to UCLA, Maria Gakdeng (Boston College) to UNC, Alanna Micheaux (Minnesota) to Virginia Tech and Camille Hobby (NC State) to Illinois, among others.
If I were Iowa, I’d be less set on finding a center and more focused on finding a power forward to replicate Warnock’s skill set. There’s a better chance of O’Grady or Stuelke growing into an efficient paint scorer than providing Warnock’s spacing or defense. Lexi Donarski, an Iowa State transfer, is the player who would make the most sense to slide into Iowa’s starting lineup next year and make an immediate impact.
My thought is it is too soon to conclude that Coach Bluder and her staff "blew it". Let's see what happens and assess after the vacancy has been filled.

"A couple" differs from person to person, but it seems like you are selling the women's BB attendance short. These last few years have been a whole new level, but the attendance was very solid even pre-CC:

19-20: 6,797 avg, 9th in the nation
18-19: 7,102 avg, 10th in the nation
17-18: 5,452 avg, 13th in the nation
16-17: 4,395 avg, 19th in the nation
15-16: 4,688 avg, 20th in the nation
14-15: 5,301 avg, 20th in the nation

average over those years (which included the only 2 years Iowa missed the tournament in the last 16) = 5,622 (avg finish of 14th)

I also think much of the following that has been built over these CC years (really starting with the Gustafson years) will persist post-Clark. We will not be drawing the nearly 12,000 per that we did last year, but I could see it at 8,000+. In the one year between Gustafson and Clark, we still drew almost 7,000+ per, and the fanbase is only continuing to grow.

I heard from someone who knows more than I do, that their backup plan was Denae Fritz from ISU. I don't know much about her, but sounds a lot like Warnock. Apparently, there's been some buzz on an ISU forum that she is visiting or has visited.

It stated in an article that she admitted she is leaving because the style of play and suspects that is the reason others are leaving. I have not watched much of IA State's women's basketball for several years.

Can anybody state or describe their style of play? What is making it so brutal to play? Is it like the Lickliter of women's play? Do tell.

"A couple" differs from person to person, but it seems like you are selling the women's BB attendance short. These last few years have been a whole new level, but the attendance was very solid even pre-CC:

average over those years (which included the only 2 years Iowa missed the tournament in the last 16) = 5,622 (avg finish of 14th)

I also think much of the following that has been built over these CC years (really starting with the Gustafson years) will persist post-Clark. We will not be drawing the nearly 12,000 per that we did last year, but I could see it at 8,000+. In the one year between Gustafson and Clark, we still drew almost 7,000+ per, and the fanbase is only continuing to grow.
What I meant was it’s not going to stay at the level it is now.

And to add to your points, with the economy and people having less $$$ in their entertainment budget, many may find the women's game more affordable at this current time. Let's face it, going to a football game and/or men's b-ball game is outrageously more expensive than women's b-ball. If a family wants to hit a few game to see some live sporting events or even to buy season tickets, at this point they may feel they are getting more for their $$$ going to a women's game. I think some of that is happening.

And to add to your points, with the economy and people having less $$$ in their entertainment budget, many may find the women's game more affordable at this current time. Let's face it, going to a football game and/or men's b-ball game is outrageously more expensive than women's b-ball. If a family wants to hit a few game to see some live sporting events or even to buy season tickets, at this point they may feel they are getting more for their $$$ going to a women's game. I think some of that is happening.

That is as much as reason we have been season ticket holders for the past decade as any. Sure, Bluder always puts out a good product. But it is cheap, easy family-friendly fun.

The primary group responsible for Iowa seeming like a racist program is loudmouth people on the internet acting like racists. I am not aiming this at you, but at the screaming minority of fans on twitter who...
1) called every one of our opponents thugs from the first round onward, 2) lost their ever-loving shit over Angel Reese when what she did was in the same neighborhood as what Clark had done in the past.

The media hyped up the Reese thing because it gets lots of clicks, and that didn't help. Iowa said the right things over and over again, and the media kept trying to fan the flames.

I don't blame Staley. Her players need to deal with a bunch of shit, and she was standing up for them. By all accounts, Aliyah Boston is a wonderful human being and teammate. Yet, I saw her called a thug many times, and I saw many people suggest that if she wasn't 6'5" she would be working at McDonalds (or some similar sentiment). Staley was asked to comment specifically on stuff like that, and she stood up for her players. She alluded to the Bluder "bar fight" comment, which I am sure Bluder did not mean as a shot at SC's players but rather as a metaphor for the challenge ahead. But you can see how comments like that, regardless of intent, can have a cumulative impact.

Regardless, I don't think any of this has much impact on how the offseason has gone thus far. I think this is all coming down to money, and I don't think Iowa can compete in that arena yet. If you want to blame anyone here, blame Barta's heretofore antagonistic relationship with the UI Swarm Collective and the brave new NIL world.

The primary group responsible for Iowa seeming like a racist program is loudmouth people on the internet acting like racists. I am not aiming this at you, but at the screaming minority of fans on twitter who...
1) called every one of our opponents thugs from the first round onward, 2) lost their ever-loving shit over Angel Reese when what she did was in the same neighborhood as what Clark had done in the past.

The media hyped up the Reese thing because it gets lots of clicks, and that didn't help. Iowa said the right things over and over again, and the media kept trying to fan the flames.

I don't blame Staley. Her players need to deal with a bunch of shit, and she was standing up for them. By all accounts, Aliyah Boston is a wonderful human being and teammate. Yet, I saw her called a thug many times, and I saw many people suggest that if she wasn't 6'5" she would be working at McDonalds (or some similar sentiment). Staley was asked to comment specifically on stuff like that, and she stood up for her players. She alluded to the Bluder "bar fight" comment, which I am sure Bluder did not mean as a shot at SC's players but rather as a metaphor for the challenge ahead. But you can see how comments like that, regardless of intent, can have a cumulative impact.

Regardless, I don't think any of this has much impact on how the offseason has gone thus far. I think this is all coming down to money, and I don't think Iowa can compete in that arena yet. If you want to blame anyone here, blame Barta's heretofore antagonistic relationship with the UI Swarm Collective and the brave new NIL world.

Most Solid Points

:cool:

I also think certain groups are looking for anything, anything, to make it a race issue....dog whistles when anything is perceived to be oppressing a group of certain people....even when that is clearly not the case.

Honestly, if anyone was being racist or putting someone down, it was against the Iowa Women (through no fault of their own, but because of the mostly white make up of the team)....not the other way around....but that is how certain groups want it to be perceived.

Latest posts