This post will probably tick everyone off

I really wish people would stop bringing up how much KF makes as it is irrelevant to anything.

Right or wrong, as long as KF is making the money he is making, and the team keeps losing to ISU, Minnesota, etc. and going 7-5 or 6-6, it WILL be a topic. So be prepared to deal with it.

I would argue that it is irrelevant.. Paying a coach Top 5 or Top 10 salary (whatever it is exactly) and still having a losing record to ISU, and having more trouble than you ought to with bad programs like Indiana and Minnesota warrants some criticism IMO.

These are micro adjustments, the macro issue is with philosophy. Kirk keeps lesser teams in the game and then ends up getting beat. Nobody expects to win every game, but there are certain games the Hawks should absolutely expect to win. Seems many other teams in the big ten have no issue with lesser teams.
Proof: Iowa: 9 losses as double-digit favorite since ’06 | TheGazette

To your point, in the reference cited by Hlas in his article, since 2006 Iowa is 9-20 against the spread when favored by more than 10 points. Let teams hang around, and they'll start to think they can win the game, and sometimes they do. All too often it seems in Iowa's case.

I really wish people would stop bringing up how much KF makes as it is irrelevant to anything. The amount of money he makes is what the position pays and it has no bearing on what happens out on the football field. I don't care if he was making 10 million per year, you are still going to make mistakes. The salary that he makes is not coming out of any of our pockets so everyone needs to let it go.
Of course it is relevant. No, it doesn't come out of our pockets, but it is a business, and the University is not getting the bang for the amount of bucks they are shelling out at this point. In fact, I think it makes Iowa look like somewhat of a joke to be paying that much for mediocrity. I doubt Barta ever signs a guy for ten years again.

Of course it is relevant. No, it doesn't come out of our pockets, but it is a business, and the University is not getting the bang for the amount of bucks they are shelling out at this point. In fact, I think it makes Iowa look like somewhat of a joke to be paying that much for mediocrity. I doubt Barta ever signs a guy for ten years again.

I think there is a sliding scale for coach salaries the way there is in any other profession. Cops in NY or Chicago make a heck of a lot more money than they do in DSM. People that work overnight make more money than those that work in the day. Where you work makes a big difference in pay scale. It is harder to coach successfully at Iowa than it is at Florida or USC.

Oh, they are getting plenty of bang for their buck. The bang isn't wins, but more bucks. Pretty solid ROI for the university.

A few sub .500 seasons in the Big Ten, though, and that could change.

Latest posts