This one is on the staff

hawkIhoops

1) Why did we press IL? They are faster and more athletic at every position and we were doing a decent job in our half court D. At least 3 shot clock violations and IL struggled to get into their offense.

2) How do we not get Gatens looks for extended periods of time? IL played tough D, but what did he have 2 shots in the 2nd half? With him drawing doubles, we still couldn't figure out a way to get shots until mid second half when they ran some stuff of Oglesby.

3) White, Oglesby and Marble need to take more shots. Basabe, McCabe and Cartwright are non factors offensively. Cartwright is a liability, period.

IL played a pretty crappy game and we had plenty of opportunities to cut into the lead and possibly tie. Props to McCabe for contesting a lot of entry passes to Leonard and for (what I thought) was a decent defensive effort, but this was a winnable game that we gave away.

Iowa played a pretty good defensive game. Too many turnovers and gave up too many offensive rebounds. Iowa didn't play well. I don't blame this one on the coaches.

1. We also forced a handful of turnovers and got them playing out of control.
2. There were no double teams. Guards don't get double teamed.
3. We can't have 3 people take all of our shots.

this is a bad match up for us. outside of gatens and jo we dont have any pure shooters and they wer suffocating gatens (yet he still made shots). we settled for way too many 3s (especially early). also we got some good looks at the basket and missed open shots. staff has nothing to do with that. could they have done more probably but really the ball just didnt stay in the hoop when we shot. teams have off nights and you can only ride 1 player so far and gatens just couldnt lift them up by himself for the 3rd straight game.

no true inside presense to challenge Leonard, no true pg, Marble is not a true pg, Cartwright is clearly a liability, Basabe on the defensive end was solid 4 block for the game and 8 total the last 2 games.
the coaches can't be blamed for that, this team is short at 2 positions figureably and literally, this is getting old but there is help on the way

Agree completely. The press and playing 2-3 zone vs. out of bounds plays cost us about 14 points.

How many turnovers did Iowa have that cost them points? Is the staff responsible for those as well?

I swear the basketball crowd is just as dumb as the football crowd after a loss.

this one is on a 3 day turnaround. They looked tired. Gatens put up an airball on an open 3-pnter near the end and that doesn't happen unless there are tired legs. Marble was also disappointing. White didn't show up. Meanwhile, Illinois has really not played hard for the last few games so they had very fresh legs.

Fire O'Keefe and blitz more

TOO freaking hilarious! I say this at work when people ask for advice before thinking about what I really need to say. They are not Hawkeye fans and do not know what I am talking about... but I find it amusing. IT does however get me to focus on what is the REAL problem and what REALLY needs to happen.

BLUF: Iowa didn't make their shots in the first half. Fell behind and couldn't get the lead back. Credit the Illini.... Iowa tried, and just didn't get it done. I thought Coach Fran did an OUTSTANDING job today. Especially the final time out to let his players know... ITS OK. Keep your head up, be respectful... things happen... there will be better days. While the Illini fans were booing thinking he was drawing up a way to foul them.

We needed more from Marble or last years version of Cartwright. White didn't make enough plays and didn't react to the presence Meyers Leonard. (Could have protected ball better before letting the ball free on layups. McCabe had too many blunders on defense. Olgesby had great second half offense but nevertheless was over pursuing on defense way too often, making the forwards need to help out leaving the post wide open. May... sure you might have been injured but you'd think he'd be eager to step up and prove himself, while okay on defense was absent as normal on offense.

With Gatens have 22 points still I dont know how you can say the coaches didn't draw up enough for him, he'd had more looks if ANYBODY could have stepped up to draw attention from him. Oglesby was basically help was just a bit too late. If the inexperience crew from Iowa's noteworthy recruiting class provides similar performances next year, maybe we can start blaming the coaches. But I thought Fran did what he could, Bruce just didnt want to lose his job and found away to get more out of better talent.

this one is on a 3 day turnaround. They looked tired. Gatens put up an airball on an open 3-pnter near the end and that doesn't happen unless there are tired legs. Marble was also disappointing. White didn't show up. Meanwhile, Illinois has really not played hard for the last few games so they had very fresh legs.

IIRC, that airball was long and hit the backboard on the other side of the rim. I'm not sure it was fatigue, maybe just an off shot.

cartwright will leave as my least favorite hawkeye player ever. hes had some bright spots but far, far more completely boneheaded plays. he just has no concept of intelligent basketball.

i said it then and ill say it now...when it comes to on-court production, give me kaylon williams any day of the week.

Latest posts