This one is on the staff

Well... Cartwright played well last year when he wasn't injured. He just didn't have "it" in his final season. It is what it is... he is what we got. I applaud him for coming here and doing what he could.

cartwright will leave as my least favorite hawkeye player ever. hes had some bright spots but far, far more completely boneheaded plays. he just has no concept of intelligent basketball.

Least favorite ever seems like a stretch. Archie and Brommer are worse, it's just that Cartwright has to play because we have no one else at the PG spot. (actually, i wouldn't mind seeing Stubbs). I mean a walk-on freshman, Stokes, is getting more minutes than Archie at this point, who is probably the worst recruit of all time. Basically we're getting an enormous amount of production from 1 upperclassman, Gatens, and zilch from the rest (including May).

We're basically one guard short of a good basketball team. May and Cartwrights implosion combined with Hubbard leaving just leaves us too thin.

Agree completely. The press and playing 2-3 zone vs. out of bounds plays cost us about 14 points.

I agree about the press, but you gotta play zone against out of bounds plays. If not, you have flat footed defenders getting pealed off screens against a dead ball designed play. You ALWAYS go zone against out of bounds plays. Its on the players to be active and cover their ground.

We ran into a buzz saw, plain and simple.

I agree with the OP that we should have not pressed as much as we did but hindsight is 20/20.

I think the most important thing to take away from this game is that having a legit 7' on your team makes a huge difference. We got no penetration tonight and were scared to go in the middle. our F's played a decent game and gave everything they had but they are no matchup for Leonard.

As mentioned earlier, this is a bad matchup for Iowa.

no, cartwright was not good last year. he just happened to be one of our better players. his play during the second half of the conference season made too many people forget how god-awful he was for the rest of the year.

I just have to shake my head at the OP. Fran did a fine job. Illini played hard and leonard is a handful. Look what the Badgers just did to OSU at their place. I am very happy with the progress that Fran has made. Help is on the way. We will have some experience to go with the talented youth infusion. Don't understand any negativity. It is what it is.

we looked like donkey poo...and we still had a legitimate chance at winning the game. That's a step forward from years past.

Let's see, blame the coaches...what a joke, anyone who has coached should take offense to that...and anyone that knows basketball should take offense to that stance.

The deck is stacked against Iowa almost every game they play in and if anyone disagrees, you are not being truthful. There are teams Iowa simply cannot match-up too. This was one of those games, Iowa is handcuffed from the start and then Leonard shows up to play, just a bad scenario.

For Iowa to have the chances that they did in this game no matter how poor Illinois has been playing is a testament to the job the coaching staff has done. When Iowa got down early, in years past they would have folded, especially with the two prior coaches, but did not give up on the coaches or their team.

I blame this one on the staff as well...when McCaffery kept turning the ball over and Speraw and Dillard kept missing wide open shots, I got so pi$$ed off that I swore I'd never watch another game...til the Hawks play at Nebraska...

IL ran through our press the whole game and got dunks or easy baskets. If you think it makes sense to press a team with the athletes IL has with the athletes we don't have, then you are clearly don't understand basketball.

Make them run their offense and let a team that has not been shooting the ball well try to win on the perimeter. Instead we allow Leonard to get easy hoops in transition and somehow ended up with Cartwright covering him a few times. We try to run and nobody can finish at the basket or we throw it away because IL is more athletic / we are trying to play too fast. McCaffrey isn't responsible for missed shots and bad decision making, but the pressure D made no sense IMO.

IL ran through our press the whole game and got dunks or easy baskets. If you think it makes sense to press a team with the athletes IL has with the athletes we don't have, then you are clearly don't understand basketball.

Make them run their offense and let a team that has not been shooting the ball well try to win on the perimeter. Instead we allow Leonard to get easy hoops in transition and somehow ended up with Cartwright covering him a few times. We try to run and nobody can finish at the basket or we throw it away because IL is more athletic / we are trying to play too fast. McCaffrey isn't responsible for missed shots and bad decision making, but the pressure D made no sense IMO.

If you can agree with everything a coach does during a basketball game then you typically are watching a top 10 program.

Yeah, I didn't understand the press a whole lot, but at the same time Iowa was trying different things...maybe the thought was if Illinois started to turn the ball over they would mentally fall apart; didn't happen, oh well.

Leonard ran free because he took off on each rebound and Iowa didn't run with him, therefore, mismatch at its finest.

We need a true center. We need to hit open shots.

I love it when people try to make things complicated.

If you can agree with everything a coach does during a basketball game then you typically are watching a top 10 program.

Yeah, I didn't understand the press a whole lot, but at the same time Iowa was trying different things...maybe the thought was if Illinois started to turn the ball over they would mentally fall apart; didn't happen, oh well.

Leonard ran free because he took off on each rebound and Iowa didn't run with him, therefore, mismatch at its finest.

Well you clearly must not understand basketball then, sportstalent...;)

So you proved my point. We had no business getting into a track meet with this team and by doing so we allowed them to score easy baskets on a night when half court offense looked as bad as ours. The teams who have beaten IL have done it by making them play half court offense.

So you proved my point. We had no business getting into a track meet with this team and by doing so we allowed them to score easy baskets on a night when half court offense looked as bad as ours. The teams who have beaten IL have done it by making them play half court offense.

Like Ohio State and Michigan State did at Illinois...please

OSU and MSU are in a different league than us champ. Comparing apples to apples. Let's talk KU and NC next. Give me a break and use your head before responding.

OSU and MSU are in a different league than us champ. Comparing apples to apples. Let's talk KU and NC next. Give me a break and use your head before responding.

I didn't make your point, Iowa didn't play well overall today and you act like they lost by 25 and were run out of the gym.

This is not on the staff, nobody, but Gatens showed up to play in the first half...the press didn't really have a huge impact on this game...rebounding probably had the worst effect on this game. How many 50/50 balls did Illinois get just by working harder during loose balls.

Of course OSU/MSU are in a different league than Iowa, but I recall Illinois beating them on that same floor...no matter how poorly Illinois has been playing, it is an awful matchup for Iowa and where it went wrong was Illinois has a lot more length than Iowa and got loose balls because of it.
OSU/MSU's game plan was to keep them in the half court as well, look how it worked out for them...that is the point.

Latest posts