This offense

I'm sure there are plenty of QB's that come in with serviceable abilities.. The problem is they are turned into head cases. DONT MAKE A MISTAKE. DONT THROW A PICK. PROTECT THE BALL AT ALL COSTS. WE WILL TRY NEXT TIME. KEEP THE BALL TO PUNT. Then you have other teams that have 3 qb's that throw the ball down field.

Is it a lack of progression by the qb's or is it the coaches telling them to look at the primary receiver and eat the ball if it's not there?

I think everyone knew the oline was going to be a work in progress this season. Especially with all of the youth. By mid season the young, inexperienced line has shown much improvement. To me it seems as if they haven’t improved at all and are even taking a step back.
It’s not rocket science. The have seven to eight guys in the box against our five guys blocking.

Five can’t block seven or eight guys. The way to solve that is to go to the spread. Petras steps up to the line with the spread. If they keep seven or eight guys in the box then he is going to see wide open receivers to throw to. As soon as he gets the snap he gets it out of his hands within three seconds to the wide open receiver or receivers.

A couple of passes like that and that seven or eight in the box is going to stop. He has to get rid of it quick though because they are going to crashing in on your QB. Three seconds, snap, standup and throw.

I saw a completely under talented offensive football team win a National Title doing this very thing. BYU

Some of you younger guys are going Huh???? Yes one year BYU won a National Title and that’s what they did to move the ball against far superior defenses. The nickeled and dimes the defenses using the spread. Short five and six yard passes all the way down the field. The BYU quarterback would taken the snap under center, stand up and throw immediately. This forced the defense to get out of that stacking the box shit.

You go to the spread with only Goodson in the backfield. This opens up the running lanes for him also.

Corey, Hawkeye from the storm, just stated that Ken O'keef is the highest paid QB coach in the country.
Let that sink in.
Brian Ferentz isn't qualified to be a position coach at any major college. And yet he may end up being Iowa's head coach when his father retires.
Let that nugget sink in.

Corey, Hawkeye from the storm, just stated that Ken O'keef is the highest paid QB coach in the country.
Let that sink in.
Brian Ferentz isn't qualified to be a position coach at any major college. And yet he may end up being Iowa's head coach when his father retires.
Let that nugget sink in.
I’d respond to this with a puke gif but I’d probably get banned. It does make me want to hurl.

Didn't we just hang a fifty burger on someone a few weeks ago?

Still overreacting to one loss. I have to point out every year that Ferentz teams, as an aggregate, have had a higher scoring average than the Fry era but some people don't like to be bombarded with facts.

Didn't we just hang a fifty burger on someone a few weeks ago?

Still overreacting to one loss. I have to point out every year that Ferentz teams, as an aggregate, have had a higher scoring average than the Fry era but some people don't like to be bombarded with facts.
Correct answer. Ferentz has a higher winning percentage and scoring average than Fry, in a much tougher college football landscape.

It’s like I said earlier on HN, the first loss was going to be meltdown city and I was right. 6-1, leading the west, and these nebraska-esque, mouth-breathing Rubes wanna fire everyone. Bunch a tools who can’t look at facts instead of being pissed off.

Who they should be pissed off at is themselves for believing the hype the media was feeding them about being #2 in the country. You guys mad about this loss got trolled by yourselves. Funny how you only put your homer glasses on and post here when things look bad.

The answer to your last question is "not often," but they were second in scoring and sixth in rushing last year:

In 2020, we had Coy Cronk (UDFA for the Packers), Alaric Jackson (on the Rams roster), Cole Banwart (on the Giants practice squad) and Mark Kallenberger (who left football completely). That group had a lot of experience. Anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together should have expected an OLine collapse after losing all that.

In 2020, we had Coy Cronk (UDFA for the Packers), Alaric Jackson (on the Rams roster), Cole Banwart (on the Giants practice squad) and Mark Kallenberger (who left football completely). That group had a lot of experience. Anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together should have expected an OLine collapse after losing all that.
I just expected that to show up against ISU, Indiana, or 13th in sacks at the time Maryland, and got hoodwinked.

Correct answer. Ferentz has a higher winning percentage and scoring average than Fry, in a much tougher college football landscape.

It’s like I said earlier on HN, the first loss was going to be meltdown city and I was right. 6-1, leading the west, and these nebraska-esque, mouth-breathing Rubes wanna fire everyone. Bunch a tools who can’t look at facts instead of being pissed off.

Who they should be pissed off at is themselves for believing the hype the media was feeding them about being #2 in the country. You guys mad about this loss got trolled by yourselves. Funny how you only put your homer glasses on and post here when things look bad.
For somebody that hates what football message boards and fans are, are you sure you still want to be moderator? Wouldn't it be easier to find another hobby?

Yes and no. Yes if we lost to Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Effing Purdue………..NO! Losing three out of four to them HELL NO!!! If that is going to happen then we should have their coordinator. Last in offense in the conference or did you not get the memo?

Your certainly correct about the landscape being different in the Fry era, especially his first decade. Very few Hawkeyes left for the NFL draft with college eligibility remaining in Hayden's heyday. Jonathon Hayes was one notable example, but very few others.

To name just one Kirk era example think of what we could have accomplished in 2009 with Shonn Greene coming back for his senior year. He would have had a much larger impact than Chuck Long did coming back for his senior year in 1985. We would have ran the bleeping table

Yes and no. Yes if we lost to Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Effing Purdue………..NO! Losing three out of four to them HELL NO!!! If that is going to happen then we should have their coordinator. Last in offense in the conference or did you not get the memo?
It's not as easy to rack up garbage yardage when your ball hawking defense and punt returner are consistently providing short fields. That stat is about as useful as Mona Lisa's eyebrows. It's like a baseball pitcher who can't change speeds and location and gets lit up by everyone he doesn't strike out.

It's not as easy to rack up garbage yardage when your ball hawking defense and punt returner are consistently providing short fields. That stat is about as useful as Mona Lisa's eyebrows. It's like a baseball pitcher who can't change speeds and location and gets lit up by everyone he doesn't strike out.

And there is the rub about statistics. You can make stats say whatever you want.

agree. and when has KF ever tried a new QB, got a QB transfer and even moved on from QB after the season. Just doesn’t happen

KF moved on from Rudock after the 2014 season.

I disagree with a poster earlier that Beathard is or was just average to good. That is total bullshit. If you put Beathard in place of the Clemson (Lawrence) and Bama QBs the last few years CJ would have lights out numbers and a Natty Championship.

Beathard is the only Iowa QB since Long and Vlasic to even get some starts and wins in the NFL.

Drew Tate and Brad Banks along with Beathard are the only two Ferentz qbs who could really improvise with their feet, moving around the pocket, really taking off and running for big yardage. Stanzi could take off and get some yards but not an explosive and elusive.

Not sure I buy that narrative. We have gotten a ton of short fields; in fact, there was a thread detailing us as the #1 team in America in starting field position (due to our superb special teams and defensive play). But despite that starting field position (our own 38 yard line, btw, prior to the Purdue game), we're somewhere around 50's (?) in scoring and in the 110's in yards per play. So it's not like we're eating up those yards and there are just no more yards to get because we run out of field. When combining all the factors together, it's not a pretty offensive picture.

Your certainly correct about the landscape being different in the Fry era, especially his first decade. Very few Hawkeyes left for the NFL draft with college eligibility remaining in Hayden's heyday. Jonathon Hayes was one notable example, but very few others.

To name just one Kirk era example think of what we could have accomplished in 2009 with Shonn Greene coming back for his senior year. He would have had a much larger impact than Chuck Long did coming back for his senior year in 1985. We would have ran the bleeping table
That 2009 season, with Shonn Greene in the picture, could have been a truly historic season. Very good team as it was, but who knows how high they could have flown with Greene in the backfield.

Not sure I buy that narrative. We have gotten a ton of short fields; in fact, there was a thread detailing us as the #1 team in America in starting field position (due to our superb special teams and defensive play). But despite that starting field position (our own 38 yard line, btw, prior to the Purdue game), we're somewhere around 50's (?) in scoring and in the 110's in yards per play. So it's not like we're eating up those yards and there are just no more yards to get because we run out of field. When combining all the factors together, it's not a pretty offensive picture.
Not just that but looks at all those yardage opportunities against Purdue. Case dismissed.