this just in...

Gatens just got another shot sent into the cheap seats.

I think it's unfair to dog on Matt at this point. He doesn't have great hops when healthy and gets blocked quite a bit. If his ankle is not 100% he pretty much has zero lift.

Aaron Fuller tends to get blocked quite often as well. It probably doesn't help that he is trying to play the 4/5 at 6'5 1/2 inches. It's actually impressive he does what he does considering his size/lack there of.

How is Gatens' ankle anyway? Still bothering him?

Really hard to say to what extent it is bothering him, but I definitely think he is still feeling the effects of it.

I don't know if he is 70%, or 90% healthy nor does anyone but Matt...............

Really hard to say to what extent it is bothering him, but I definitely think he is still feeling the effects of it.

I don't know if he is 70%, or 90% healthy nor does anyone but Matt...............

I've had a not-too-severe ankle sprain before and it hurts like an SOB, and I also had the luxury of not having to play basketball on it while it's healing. Hopefully it doesn't keep haunting him the rest of the year. I remember what effect that had on Cy Tate last year. Pretty much ruined his senior season.

Gatens just got another shot sent into the cheap seats.

Do we want ANY of these players on the team or are they all undeserving? Do we want ANY of these players to be happy that they play for Iowa? Give me a break...

real classy hawkIreign. people need to get their facts straight before they attck yet another player.

Nobody is going to confuse HawkIreign with someone who is classy. He will attack anyone and anything associated with Hawkeye basketball.

I cant wait until this season is over. I long for the days when we actually had some basketball to discuss

every single thread turns into an argument over why a certain player sucks or doesnt suck

I've noticed it common place on this board to equate class with having a cookie cutter opinion.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you but even our beloved hometown hero isn't above critisicm especially when he he's playing the lackluster brand of basketball he's been playing.

I've noticed it common place on this board to equate class with having a cookie cutter opinion.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you but even our beloved hometown hero isn't above critisicm especially when he he's playing the lackluster brand of basketball he's been playing.

The kid is hardly 100%. He has been playing on a bum ankle.

Not too mention I rarely see you mention anything positive... So technically (based on your performance on the site) I could dog you the way you dog Iowa since you show me so little to be positive about. But the point is...... I don't.

Hardly true, having a cookie cutter opinion just makes you a lemming. You bring no value whether you're a militant optimist or whiny blamer -- both are nothing more than self-centered perspective, especially when they're lacking factual substance.

Finally, no argument at all that Gatens is above criticism. His shooting % has dropped significantly from last year, he's been struggling with his ball handling and timing of passes, (leading to unforced turnovers in crucial possessions) and looks to be quite frustrated with his whole game. That's criticism -- based on observation and facts. Your statement wasn't criticism, it oozed of nothing but ridicule and contempt.

As for "class", umm, there's no risk of equating your statement with that, even though it did meet your criteria of being from a cookie cutter opinion. Come to think of it, congrats in that regard. Most of your opinions on Iowa bball have maintained a very cookie cutter consistency.

Dude, give it a rest. You didn't give an opinion, you posted an unclever, snarky statement. And furthermore, you know exactly why you did it; to get people to respond to you.

You sir, are a troll.

Yikes -- OP -- The kid is hurt and he is playing when you probably couldn't get up to take a leak with the same type of injury.

Just a quick comment on the ankle injury. I think too many people think that the injury has to be hurting him to affect his play. At this point it may not cause physical pain while he is playing but it still take a while to build the strenght of you ankle up after you have sprained it.

I'm not trying to speak for Matt but this is coming from my personal experience with sprained ankles.

Just a quick comment on the ankle injury. I think too many people think that the injury has to be hurting him to affect his play. At this point it may not cause physical pain while he is playing but it still take a while to build the strenght of you ankle up after you have sprained it.

I'm not trying to speak for Matt but this is coming from my personal experience with sprained ankles.

Didn't he play on it the same day it was injured? How much strength could have he lost if he played on it later that night?

Not too mention I rarely see you mention anything positive... So technically (based on your performance on the site) I could dog you the way you dog Iowa since you show me so little to be positive about. But the point is...... I don't.

The funny thing about that is I would take less offense to you dogging me directly than some of you do when I say something about a player or a coach. And as far as mentioning something positive goes I will be the first one to eat my words if and when Lickliter or Gatens deserve it.

The funny thing about that is I would take less offense to you dogging me directly than some of you do when I say something about a player or a coach. And as far as mentioning something positive goes I will be the first one to eat my words if and when Lickliter or Gatens deserve it.

I'd be more willing to bet that you won't say anything at all, and if someone does call you out the response will be something along the lines of "it's about time, he's a D1 basketball player/coach, and is getting paid ______/been in the system for 2 years."

One of those two things is likely. You eating crow if/when you turn out to be wrong is not.

Last edited: