This is why it's painful..

Putting the outcome in perspective does not indicate an indifference to the outcome.

Focusing on the processes under your control that influence that outcome, as opposed to focusing solely on the outcome itself (which is also influenced by many factors outside of your control), does not indicate an indifference to the outcome.

You seem to be failing to grasp this nuance.

So ... as long as he wants to win, it's all good and we should just cut him some slack over the terrible job he's done when he actually does focus on the parts of the process over which he has control?

In other words, "A" for effort ... which basically means, try hard and with good intent excuses results ... which basically means, moral victories are still victories ... which is basically what derKirkFer said to begin with.

Wax philosophical to your heart's content. In fact, I'd encourage everyone to cling to their precious rationalizations. Whatever it takes to survive the next few seasons.

How about this quote regarding stakes for a game 7 playoff match-up (slightly paraphrased for brevity): "In this situation, one of us [advances], and one of us goes on vacation. We'd each rather [advance], but vacation is not terrible."

That comes from 5-time NBA champion coach Greg Popovich...

You do realize the Spurs had just lost a game 7 to the Clippers on an acrobatic shot from Paul? I'm sure some media types were attempting to elicit some emotion from Popovich about losing that way. Probably more than anything else, he wouldn't give it to them. And I'm sure he'd rather the team be movin' on to the next round.

Last edited:
You do realize the Spurs had just lost a game 7 to the Clippers on an acrobatic shot from Paul? I'm sure some media types were attempting to elicit some emotion from Popovich about losing that way. Probably more than anything else, he wouldn't give it to them. And I'm sure he'd rather the team be movin' on to the next round.

The quote was from before the game, not after.

How about this quote regarding stakes for a game 7 playoff match-up (slightly paraphrased for brevity): "In this situation, one of us [advances], and one of us goes on vacation. We'd each rather [advance], but vacation is not terrible."

That comes from 5-time NBA champion coach Greg Popovich.

Right. A 5 time NBA champion coach, coming off a championship last year, who has just a tad more leeway to make a statement like that. Not a .500 coach who's paid like a champion.

Latest posts