This is why it's painful..

herkytime

http://btn.com/2015/05/04/kirk-ferentz-qa-we-arent-happy-either-about-recent-results/

"To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go." - KF

Striving to be mediocre. Don't really care about wins and losses as long as we put up a good fight and don't get blown out. If we are in it in the 4th quarter all is well. If we lose, "That's Football".

The classic ebb and flow phrase made an appearance in this article as well.

Pretty easy to sleep at night when you're egregiously overpaid and have zero accountability. I will never remember KF for the the few good seasons he's had here. He's done far more to cement his legacy as a stubborn, clueless, loyal buffoon than anything positive. He deserves nothing less.

Q: There seems to be some growing angst among the fan base. How are you dealing with that?

A: We aren’t happy either. I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be. To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go. The illustration I can give you is our last two home games. We lost to Wisconsin (26-24), not our desired outcome by any stretch. It was a great environment in Kinnick. It was two good teams really competing. A really good college football game. I don’t want to lose. But at least you can go home at night and sleep.

In other words, moral victory. Hayden Fry would punch Kirk in the mouth (and I wish he would)!!

... and he just keeps saying this $H!T over and over and wonders why people "make noise" about it, rather than just accept it?

Q: There seems to be some growing angst among the fan base. How are you dealing with that?

A: We aren’t happy either. I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be. To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go. The illustration I can give you is our last two home games. We lost to Wisconsin (26-24), not our desired outcome by any stretch. It was a great environment in Kinnick. It was two good teams really competing. A really good college football game. I don’t want to lose. But at least you can go home at night and sleep.

In other words, moral victory. Hayden Fry would punch Kirk in the mouth (and I wish he would)!!

I've gotta agree with Ferentz. Say we win that ISU game and eek out both the Wisconsin and Nebraska games. I think we may have had to play OSU (I forget, maybe Minnesota would have gotten the shot at them) and they would have beaten us at least 84-0. Then, we would have gotten a higher bowl game and had to play someone better than Tennessee and instead of being down 35-7 at the half, we would have been down 70-0 and wouldn't have been able to close it up to a respectable 17 point loss. Ferentz watched out for us. Imagine ending the season with 2 losses by a combined total of 150 points. I wouldn't watch Iowa football again for 5 years.

Ferentz has not only destroyed whatever legacy he could have had by getting out a few years ago he's now buried it 6 feet under.

Anyone claiming that Kirk can have another bad year or two, quit or be fired and still maintain his legacy or should be remembered fondly takes their Kool-Aid in bulk.

I've gotta agree with Ferentz. Say we win that ISU game and eek out both the Wisconsin and Nebraska games. I think we may have had to play OSU (I forget, maybe Minnesota would have gotten the shot at them) and they would have beaten us at least 84-0. Then, we would have gotten a higher bowl game and had to play someone better than Tennessee and instead of being down 35-7 at the half, we would have been down 70-0 and wouldn't have been able to close it up to a respectable 17 point loss. Ferentz watched out for us. Imagine ending the season with 2 losses by a combined total of 150 points. I wouldn't watch Iowa football again for 5 years.

Good thing you have NW games to go to

If it worked for Coach Taylor in Facing the Giants it can work here too. I have confidence that it will.

Talk about lowering the bar of expectations before the season even begins. What's his next standard of achievement - "Hey, we showed up on time!". Maybe instead of handing out varsity letters at the end of the year, Ferentz can hand out Certificates of Participation. The extra seat license fee they want me to pay for better seats can go towards the orange slices and juice boxes for the fellas, too.

If that's the attitude of the head coach, how is anything more going to be instilled in the other coaches, let alone the players? With comments like this, I really think he's reached the eff you stage of his career.

So, the ol' sardonic addition by subtraction rationale. Of course, this past season's effort will undoubtedly have you, and countless others, glued to the set for the next 5 seasons. I will be, but then, I'm mental.

KDSiVi7.jpg

http://btn.com/2015/05/04/kirk-ferentz-qa-we-arent-happy-either-about-recent-results/

"To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go." - KF

Striving to be mediocre. Don't really care about wins and losses as long as we put up a good fight and don't get blown out. If we are in it in the 4th quarter all is well. If we lose, "That's Football".

The classic ebb and flow phrase made an appearance in this article as well.

KF should be striving for excellence. All the stuff I touch at work has to work or I keep fixing it and working on it. KF seems happy with 7-8 wins huh.

Now in all honesty KF makes some dumb statements to the press and this is one of them. I bet he could recant and say something like 'we want to win all are games and try to win them all'

Just a small disconnect between our head coach and his team's fans. Sounds more like a statement a thousand T-Ball coaches will tell their youngsters as they take the field this season.

A: We aren’t happy either. I don’t know that things have changed a lot other than there are more avenues to make noise than there used to be. To me, it’s not as much about the numbers, seven wins or eight wins. It’s more about how the games go. The illustration I can give you is our last two home games. We lost to Wisconsin (26-24), not our desired outcome by any stretch. It was a great environment in Kinnick. It was two good teams really competing. A really good college football game.
I don’t want to lose. But at least you can go home at night and sleep.

Amazing and Pathetic!

Seriously how many coaches in the country would say that?

Last edited:
KF should be striving for excellence. All the stuff I touch at work has to work or I keep fixing it and working on it. KF seems happy with 7-8 wins huh.

Now in all honesty KF makes some dumb statements to the press and this is one of them. I bet he could recant and say something like 'we want to win all are games and try to win them all'

This is the key statement here. I think Ferentz has proven to be a good coach (although he is refusing to adapt to modern college football) and a good person. But the fact is, even going back to successful years, public relations has been a nightmare for him.

Every presser he says something that makes him and/or the entire program look the fool
He is very poor at promoting the program to young people
Instead of getting out in front of negative incidents that hit the media, he takes the "ignore it and it will go away" approach

Good grief. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Get rid of this clown and bring in someone who has some fire and DEMANDS to win.

Wow. Just don't know what else to say.

Guess if I was being paid what KF is, I'd sleep pretty well at night, too.

Good grief. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Get rid of this clown and bring in someone who has some fire and DEMANDS to win.

Wow. Just don't know what else to say.

Guess if I was being paid what KF is, I'd sleep pretty well at night, too.

It's not just the salary, it's the buyout, too. You see, the traders at bulge bracket investment banks get paid a lot, but they can get fired on a whim and consequently destroy themselves with stress. The CEO, on the other hand, has a golden parachute and sleeps very well, just like the Cap'n.

Close losses eat at me more than anything else (when I competed in anything). All I can think about is the missed opportunities that could have made me a winner. I sleep less after close losses. Getting beaten badly means that the other person or team is just that much better and there were no "little things" that I could have done to pull out a victory. I hated to lose either way but close losses haunt me longer.

Latest posts