THIS is what drives me crazy and is inexcusable IMO

BSpringsteen

When people talk about our defense, they say, you have to have a deadly accurate QB and be happy taking 5 yards at a time through the air to move the ball.

We've also struggled incredibly with spread schemes because quite simply, they move their best receivers into the slot and match them up against LB's.

Persa said as much after the game that "we always beat them because we know that if we beat them at their gameplan, they won't adjust."

Persa ends the season setting the BIG TEN RECORD for completion % at 73.5%. They run a spread offense.

So what that says to me, is that our coaching staff looked at N'Western and didn't say, "boy, this is the type of team that can slay our defense, maybe we ought to adjust some things are throw in some different looks and keep them honest."

Maybe this works with Angerer and Edds in the linebacking core, but even when it was healthy, this is the weakest linebacking unit I can remember in the KF era.

We have to play to our strengths and we never do.

When people talk about our defense, they say, you have to have a deadly accurate QB and be happy taking 5 yards at a time through the air to move the ball.

We've also struggled incredibly with spread schemes because quite simply, they move their best receivers into the slot and match them up against LB's.

Persa said as much after the game that "we always beat them because we know that if we beat them at their gameplan, they won't adjust."

Persa ends the season setting the BIG TEN RECORD for completion % at 73.5%. They run a spread offense.

So what that says to me, is that our coaching staff looked at N'Western and didn't say, "boy, this is the type of team that can slay our defense, maybe we ought to adjust some things are throw in some different looks and keep them honest."

Maybe this works with Angerer and Edds in the linebacking core, but even when it was healthy, this is the weakest linebacking unit I can remember in the KF era.

This is why we are always ahead of NW and lose. Fitz is good at adjustments. Iowa staff=NOT

So what that says to me, is that our coaching staff looked at N'Western and didn't say, "boy, this is the type of team that can slay our defense, maybe we ought to adjust some things are throw in some different looks and keep them honest."Maybe this works with Angerer and Edds in the linebacking core, but even when it was healthy, this is the weakest linebacking unit I can remember in the KF era.

Even more inexcusable is that avg Joe's like me can see it coming a mile away and make predictions like this ...

"Merkles makes a lot of $ off Hawkeye fans drowning their sorrows and talking "what could have been".

NW 24 - IA 21. (Ebert doesn't drop it with 14 seconds left.)"

"Although it looks like it on paper, I wouldn't consider it much of an upset given recent history. NW is exactly the type of offense that the Iowa defense counts on most teams not being -- accurate, disciplined and patient. They are also "crazy" in that they play to win and are willing to dramatically change / adjust things to get there.
I call this game a toss-up and the only way Iowa wins is to avoid turnovers and turn last week's FG's into TD's. If Iowa has zero red-zone TD's again this week they will most certainly lose."

Yet, year after year, the staff just doesn't show evidence of accounting for these facts in the game plan.

IU put a lot of writing on the wall and, despite knowing NW would do the exact same thing (only better, with Persa) they simply did not adjust for it until the futile blitzes in desparation time.

The adjustment was needed on offense. If Iowa sustains drives and keeps the defense rested, they win. Scoring 17 points is the problem. See Indiana....

Two weeks and 35 points against Northwestern and Indiana. Pathetic. Almost as pathetic as all the posts blaming the defense for our losses.

This is why we are always ahead of NW and lose. Fitz is good at adjustments. Iowa staff=NOT

During the Ferentz years, if Iowa is down at halftime, I think they do a better job of making adjustments than anybody in the country. I know people who have made lots of money during his tenure betting on Iowa in the second half.( Thats when a new point spread is established at halftime). However, if we have a lead or are tied at half it doesn't seem as though we make as many adjustments and try to do more of the same. This year in particular it has turned out to burn us, as we have been a awful team in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
The adjustment was needed on offense. If Iowa sustains drives and keeps the defense rested, they win. Scoring 17 points is the problem. See Indiana....

Two weeks and 35 points against Northwestern and Indiana. Pathetic. Almost as pathetic as all the posts blaming the defense for our losses.

This is the correct answer. The D broke down because the offense couldn't get their act together and sustain a drive. I honestly think that if the offense had done their job then NW probably would have only scored 14 points which isn't exactly a defensive failure is it.

I'm not disagreeing that the offense can play better but they did play the team to a 17 to 7 advantage with 8 minutes to play. The defense then gave up 170 yards plus and 14 points in those 8 minutes. Also what is the excuse for the defense against Indiana? Iowa racked up all kinds of yardage against the Hoosiers. Yes they settled for field goals but they had long sustained drives yet the defense couldn't stop the Hoosiers from marching right down the field with what should have been a winning td grab by Indiana. Iowa is lucky he dropped it. Was the defense tired for that drive as well? How about Wisconsin? The offense put together plenty of drives in that game and grabbed the lead with about 8 minutes left. The defense then allowed a long 7 plus minute drive that resulted in a go ahead td leaving Iowa with 50 seconds to win the game. If people can't admit that the defense has had problems closing out games then they are just not being honest.

I'm not disagreeing that the offense can play better but they did play the team to a 17 to 7 advantage with 8 minutes to play. The defense then gave up 170 yards plus and 14 points in those 8 minutes. Also what is the excuse for the defense against Indiana? Iowa racked up all kinds of yardage against the Hoosiers. Yes they settled for field goals but they had long sustained drives yet the defense couldn't stop the Hoosiers from marching right down the field with what should have been a winning td grab by Indiana. Iowa is lucky he dropped it. Was the defense tired for that drive as well? How about Wisconsin? The offense put together plenty of drives in that game and grabbed the lead with about 8 minutes left. The defense then allowed a long 7 plus minute drive that resulted in a go ahead td leaving Iowa with 50 seconds to win the game. If people can't admit that the defense has had problems closing out games then they are just not being honest.

Great defenses rise to the ocassion and shut down teams when the game is on the line. Iowas defense did not do this against Arizona and Wisconsin (two ranked teams). The defense also did not do this against two unranked teams in Indiana and Northwestern. Call it as it is. This years Iowa's defense is not great.

all of this is moot had stanzi not thrown a pick, and we get points on that drive. get a grip. we had held them to 7 points (that happened on the opening drive mind you) through three quarters and it was offensive ineptitude that allowed this to happen. EVEN IF WE JUST GET A FG on that drive that stanzi throws a pick then we are kicking a game winning FG on that last drive with the score 21-20 (then at that point it goes back to the FG missed in the first half). Many fingers to point here, but the majority are not getting directed toward the defense, it is the offense and special teams (last k.o. return) that deserve most of the blame.

all of this is moot had stanzi not thrown a pick, and we get points on that drive. get a grip. we had held them to 7 points (that happened on the opening drive mind you) through three quarters and it was offensive ineptitude that allowed this to happen. EVEN IF WE JUST GET A FG on that drive that stanzi throws a pick then we are kicking a game winning FG on that last drive with the score 21-20 (then at that point it goes back to the FG missed in the first half). Many fingers to point here, but the majority are not getting directed toward the defense, it is the offense and special teams (last k.o. return) that deserve most of the blame.

All three units deserve some blame. But the coaching staff deserves most of the blame for not recognizing opponent looks and adjusting to counter them.

Great defenses rise to the ocassion and shut down teams when the game is on the line. Iowas defense did not do this against Arizona and Wisconsin (two ranked teams). The defense also did not do this against two unranked teams in Indiana and Northwestern. Call it as it is. This years Iowa's defense is not great.

THIS a great championship defense will draw the line and shut down a team with the game on the line...Iowa's wilts under pressure giving up HUGE drives all the way down the field for game winning scores...The O sucks...but the D deserves alot of the blame too.

Latest posts