This is straight from the Big 10 regarding the Rose Bowl when not.....

SpiderRico

....a National Semifinal Game.

1. When not hosting a semifinal, the Big Ten Champion will play in the Rose Bowl Game, unless among the top four teams.

2. If the Big Ten Champion qualifies for the playoff, the Rose Bowl Game will choose a replacement Big Ten team.

3. The Rose Bowl Game has sole discretion on a replacement team, and will generally select the highest‐rated available team, but will take
into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head‐to‐head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl
Game appearances."

Unlike what ESPN is trying to say, there is no GUARANTEE that the highest rated available B1G team will be taken.

The people who run the Rose Bowl will always take a Big Ten team when they're given the option. It's one of the few places where tradition still prevails.

Iowa has a shot but probably can't lose more than one game in the regular season. In other words, 11-1, win the division, lose to Ohio St or Michigan St. (but not in a blowout), and then smell roses!!!

They would jump at the chance to have Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Iowa is by far the best program in both the PAC and B1G that hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1991. Iowa will put more fansin the stadium than ANY other team in either league. Many of my college buddies and I have been clamorming to go for years...many years. It's a longer absence for the Hawks in that game than it was when they went in 1981...

The people who run the Rose Bowl will always take a Big Ten team when they're given the option. It's one of the few places where tradition still prevails.

My post wasn't related to the Rose Bowl taking a non-Big 10 team.

It was related to ESPN and other talking heads stating that the Rose Bowl MUST take the highest rated B1G team regardless of any other factors....mainly using this as an argument for Michigan to be in the Rose Bowl even if they don't make the B1G title game and OSU makes it to the Playoffs. There is no such rule. The Rose Bowl has sole discretion in taking which ever B1G team it wants, while factoring in several attributes such as a division title, length of time since last appearance, etc.

I think this info makes the Rose more in play if we make the B1G title game and lose to OSU, for example. We will have won the division and it will have been 25 years since we last played in the Rose Bowl.

They would jump at the chance to have Iowa in the Rose Bowl. Iowa is by far the best program in both the PAC and B1G that hasn't been to the Rose Bowl since 1991. Iowa will put more fansin the stadium than ANY other team in either league. Many of my college buddies and I have been clamorming to go for years...many years. It's a longer absence for the Hawks in that game than it was when they went in 1981...

I didn't believe this until I did the math myself. It is incredible, but true. 23 years since our last Rose Bowl. :mad:

My post wasn't related to the Rose Bowl taking a non-Big 10 team.

It was related to ESPN and other talking heads stating that the Rose Bowl MUST take the highest rated B1G team regardless of any other factors....mainly using this as an argument for Michigan to be in the Rose Bowl even if they don't make the B1G title game and OSU makes it to the Playoffs. There is no such rule. The Rose Bowl has sole discretion in taking which ever B1G team it wants, while factoring in several attributes such as a division title, length of time since last appearance, etc.

I think this info makes the Rose more in play if we make the B1G title game and lose to OSU, for example. We will have won the division and it will have been 25 years since we last played in the Rose Bowl.

You just made me very happy and very sad at the same time.

SHHHHHHHH. Enough talk on Bowl games let's just win our next game and worry about rest of the season before bowl talk.We need to get healthy for a stretch run.Go Hawks

Just once in my life time I want to see Iowa win the Rose Bowl, the last three losses still irk the heck out of me. Especially the 86 Rose Bowl loss.

Iowa's Rose Bowl chances are slim. They would have to win the Big 10 championship. Unless Michigan goes to the playoff (or lose several more games), they will get picked over Iowa almost every time.

Just once in my life time I want to see Iowa win the Rose Bowl, the last three losses still irk the heck out of me. Especially the 86 Rose Bowl loss.

I just want to be able to see Iowa in a Rose Bowl game period. The last time they were in the Rose Bowl I was 7 years old. I'm 32 now.

A watered-down Rose Bowl invite just doesn't float my boat. If it isn't the Big Ten champs vs the Pac Ten champs it's just another bowl game in a long lineup of bowl games.

Iowa has a shot but probably can't lose more than one game in the regular season. In other words, 11-1, win the division, lose to Ohio St or Michigan St. (but not in a blowout), and then smell roses!!!

And conference championship victory. Very unlikely way Rose Bowl takes a 2 loss BIg Ten runner up who just lost conf champ game.

I want more than anything for Iowa to get another Rose Bowl bid. My friends and I have said since college (2000-2004) that we were all going...no questions asked...to the next Rose Bowl Iowa made it to.

That being said...I don't see any chance the committee would pick Iowa over Michigan. The thought of bringing Harbaugh back to California is too much. Can you imagine a Michigan/Stanford Rose Bowl? Harbaugh vs his former team? I bet the Rose Bowl committee has to change their shorts every time they think of that potential matchup.

I guess my point is...hope for Michigan to lose to MSU and Ohio State and Iowa make it to the B1G title game. Otherwise hope for michigan to make the playoffs

Latest posts