This is on Fran

no matter what zone you play against the high post is key to beating it. how you get the ball into the high post is different because of the weaknesses of each. a 2-3 is beat with high post flashing from a low post. a 1-3-1 is beat with dribble penetration to the high post. one of our failures is we allowed them to force our offense away from the three point line which feeds into them as it allows more time to get their traps as it is a longer distance to attack the high post. it is hard to attack the 1-3-1 with a flashing high post because of the middle man who doesnt have to shift as much as in a 2-3 where there is no free throw line policeman.

the 1-4 is a set offense not a motion and dribble attck offense which is what is needed to attack zones. our execution and turnovers and bad blocking out lost the game not our gameplan. at times we got some very easy buckets with our gameplan because we executed. 18 turnovers and 14 offensive rebounds equals 32 extra possessions. i know nw gave up offensive rebounds and turnovers but i bet they didnt equal anywhere close to 32 combined as we had a lot less shots.

no matter what zone you play against the high post is key to beating it. how you get the ball into the high post is different because of the weaknesses of each. a 2-3 is beat with high post flashing from a low post. a 1-3-1 is beat with dribble penetration to the high post. one of our failures is we allowed them to force our offense away from the three point line which feeds into them as it allows more time to get their traps as it is a longer distance to attack the high post. it is hard to attack the 1-3-1 with a flashing high post because of the middle man who doesnt have to shift as much as in a 2-3 where there is no free throw line policeman.

the 1-4 is a set offense not a motion and dribble attck offense which is what is needed to attack zones. our execution and turnovers and bad blocking out lost the game not our gameplan. at times we got some very easy buckets with our gameplan because we executed. 18 turnovers and 14 offensive rebounds equals 32 extra possessions. i know nw gave up offensive rebounds and turnovers but i bet they didnt equal anywhere close to 32 combined as we had a lot less shots.

Thanks for the analysis. What about White at the high post? Someone who can shoot and drive and hit a jumper. I saw them try to get it to Brommer, but don't know what that would actually accomplish. Does a zone really need to collapse on Brommer or Basabe if they can't do as much if they catch it there.

The thread has evolved and enjoy the discussion... the 1-4 I am talking about is not a set offense but a way to support your guard play on the initial entry..The wing players can have flexibilty to use space and lanes to get open. No zone offense should be set as you take what they give you. Overload, play space, ECT... I couldn't believe the turnovers against a WEAK trapping 1-3-1. All zone offenseives should have high post play, short corner and believe it not some screening.

This is on Fran right now. He's needs to turn the 1-3-1 into man to man by going to a high 1-4 offense. He has not made one adjustment. He needs to help his guards out. Making substitutions is not the answer.

you know what is also on Fran. a complete positive turnaround to a lifeless program, a excited fandase, a packed CHA, and a top 20 recruiting class.

Fran has forgot more about coaching than u will ever know. dammit I am sick of all the crying on here and the football board.

To be clear. No crying here. Fran is the man for the job. He is fun to watch and I do believe the Hawks are back due to his leadership. Unbelieveable season. They play hard. I love it.

Fran has forgotten more than I will know. Understood.

Just watching a game and wondering at half time what it takes to get someone to the high post.

You win with horses and I know they are on the way. Someitmes you need to tell them what to do. This is the only tme this season I got frustrated due to in game tactic/plans. Come on it was NU.. There 1-3-1 should not cause problems.

nw's 1-3-1 is weak at trapping because it isnt a 1-3-1 trap. there are multiple types of each zone. they dont have a shot blocker to play down low to run a 1-3-1 trap. using a 1-4 even to just help the guards actually makes it easier because the middle guy will be able to guard 2 guys because the spacing isnt that great in a 1-4 high. plus it takes guys out of the place where a 1-3-1 is most susceptible the corners and baselines. our gameplan would have worked if we had passed the ball to the guys in white (too many turnovers).

That Stubbs sub was terrible. Northwestern got an easy bucket before half attacking him. That's the only thing Fran is bad at, substitution patterns.

The Hawks & Coach FMcC are simply the "Not Ready For Prime-Time Players". He was as excited for his 1st sell out as the team was for this particular senior day for Gatens. It was quite obvious he was shooting from the hip and had a momentary lapse of focus by throwing crap out too see what would stick. Stubbs should have never seen the floor.

These sorts of desparate moves will go away next year when he can substitute without such a horrific drop off in talent. As for today, it was an example of Fran experiencing his first taste of pressure ... where every move matters & the game had significant meaning to both teams.

He will learn and mature' just like the Hawks will.

We play NW twice a year'every year.Once earlier this year. Why isn't this on Fran? Did anyone see any change in gameplan from last time played them? I realize the players have to exacute, but making jump passes around the horn,seem like a change to me....
ATTN FRAN:We will be playing NW twice next season, how about a new gameplan by then to open up the inside.Marble had 2 GREAT ally-oops,but don't put it on the players,blame the plan...

The Hawks & Coach FMcC are simply the "Not Ready For Prime-Time Players". He was as excited for his 1st sell out as the team was for this particular senior day for Gatens. It was quite obvious he was shooting from the hip and had a momentary lapse of focus by throwing crap out too see what would stick. Stubbs should have never seen the floor.

These sorts of desparate moves will go away next year when he can substitute without such a horrific drop off in talent. As for today, it was an example of Fran experiencing his first taste of pressure ... where every move matters & the game had significant meaning to both teams.

He will learn and mature' just like the Hawks will.

Right...in all of Fran's years of coaching, today...was "that" day...

Sorry Buster, I'm being sarcastic, but not throwing a dagger at you...just disagreeing on that thought.

Lets back pedal... If I told you before the season that we would be 8-10 in the conference would you be happy,******, or satisfied?

nw's 1-3-1 is weak at trapping because it isnt a 1-3-1 trap. there are multiple types of each zone. they dont have a shot blocker to play down low to run a 1-3-1 trap. using a 1-4 even to just help the guards actually makes it easier because the middle guy will be able to guard 2 guys because the spacing isnt that great in a 1-4 high. plus it takes guys out of the place where a 1-3-1 is most susceptible the corners and baselines. our gameplan would have worked if we had passed the ball to the guys in white (too many turnovers).

No blame on Fran. the hawks came out of one timeout with a great lob dunk to white. The corners down low were open but the guards never looked there much.

If we had two really good ball handling guards on the court to break down those traps the hawks would have killed them.

need much better penetrating guards in the future.

Lets back pedal... If I told you before the season that we would be 8-10 in the conference would you be happy,******, or satisfied?

I don't want to back pedal. Like we this team is headed. And, it's okay to be ****** about a loss today, even if we weren't expecting to be 8-10 in conference this year. Expectations are Back!!

Satisfied...but you know how it is...if you're asked if you'd be happy if your team came out of a tough 4 game stretch at 3-1, you probably would be, BUT...if you were 3-0 heading into that 4th game and lost, you wouldn't care much about those first 3 games...not right away anyway.

Right...in all of Fran's years of coaching, today...was "that" day...

Sorry Buster, I'm being sarcastic, but not throwing a dagger at you...just disagreeing on that thought.

I get you & no apology needed.

I don't mean to belittle the guy with my notion. Maybe I'm the naive one and this is just FMC's m.o. but it's so hard for me to fathom that, in the middle of a NwU run, he actually thinks that throwing Branden Stubbs on the floor, during such a meaningful moment in the most meaningful game (win and Iowa's NCAA hopes jump forward, lose and it's CBI) of his time at Iowa somehow makes sense. To me that just screamed a momentary lapse of WTF desparation, at a time when you need your coach to keep his head and play thru.

Last edited:

I don't mean to belittle the guy with my notion. Maybe I'm the naive one and this is just FMC's m.o. but it's so hard for me to fathom that, in the middle of a NwU run, he actually thinks that throwing

I see where you were going...it is the biggest stage Fran has been on as a head coach...but he's been to the tourney and played in pressure packed situations in his other stops that had titles on the line.

Edit: As far as Stubbs goes...I think Fran sees who's doing well in practice and plays his gut on if that player is going to be able to bring that to the game...sometimes your gut has a feeling...and sometimes it turns out to just be heartburn...

I see where you were going...it is the biggest stage Fran has been on as a head coach...but he's been to the tourney and played in pressure packed situations in his other stops that had titles on the line.

Edit: As far as Stubbs goes...I think Fran sees who's doing well in practice and plays his gut on if that player is going to be able to bring that to the game...sometimes your gut has a feeling...and sometimes it turns out to just be heartburn...

What did Fran have on the line here that was bigger then getting Siena into the dance and his games in the NCAA tourny??? I guess in the tourny they were an underdog so I see that reasoning.

Trust me there have been times where I wonder WTF we are doing on offense and want to scream at Fran but then I step back and look at the expectations I had for the season and the talent we don't have.

Stubbs came in when NW was making a run but they were making a run because we kept sh!tting the ball down our leg. I think he was trying to send a message and judging by our 2nd half run maybe it worked?? On a side note I cannot believe he didn't get t'd up in the second half. I will give you Fran gaining maturity on that one:)

I don't mean to belittle the guy with my notion. Maybe I'm the naive one and this is just FMC's m.o. but it's so hard for me to fathom that, in the middle of a NwU run, he actually thinks that throwing Branden Stubbs on the floor, during such a meaningful moment in the most meaningful game (win and Iowa's NCAA hopes jump forward, lose and it's CBI) of his time at Iowa somehow makes sense. To me that just screamed a momentary lapse of WTF desparation, at a time when you need your coach to keep his head and play thru.

Win and the NCAA hopes jump forward??? C'mon man, I think you ment NIT and Fran has played for more then that in the past.

What did Fran have on the line here that was bigger then getting Siena into the dance and his games in the NCAA tourny??? I guess in the tourny they were an underdog so I see that reasoning.

Trust me there have been times where I wonder WTF we are doing on offense and want to scream at Fran but then I step back and look at the expectations I had for the season and the talent we don't have.

Stubbs came in when NW was making a run but they were making a run because we kept sh!tting the ball down our leg. I think he was trying to send a message and judging by our 2nd half run maybe it worked?? On a side note I cannot believe he didn't get t'd up in the second half. I will give you Fran gaining maturity on that one:)

I'm saying bigger stage as far as it was a Big 10 game and one that could have gotten Iowa to .500 in the conference and probably cemented them a post season (NIT) bid. Nothing's bigger than the NCAA tourney or a conference title, but the Big 10 is the biggest stage he's coached on conference-wise.

I'm saying bigger stage as far as it was a Big 10 game and one that could have gotten Iowa to .500 in the conference and probably cemented them a post season (NIT) bid. Nothing's bigger than the NCAA tourney or a conference title, but the Big 10 is the biggest stage he's coached on conference-wise.

Agreed, and don't get me wrong I hate reflecting and was p!ssed as hell the last few games. Having expectations are good. We are almost ba.....c....... Who cares we are all mad again!!!!!!!

Latest posts