This is not an NCAA team. Why? Our guard play stinks.

Marble is our best PG (again), but he is also our only scorer and appears to be injured and or scuffling. When he goes out of the game, the staff works on his back, hip, something--dating back to Bahamas. Gesell and Clemmons continue to underwhelm in virtually every aspect. Flip the channels, regardless of conference, and tell me who has worse guards than we do. It is almost impossible that entering year 4, FM has not addressed the most critical position on the floor. It makes for nice local news to talk about Olaseni, Woodbury, Oglesby, etc., but those guys are role players who need someone to set them up. Nebraska's guards had Gesell and Clemmons afraid to put the ball on the floor and when they did, they made awful decisions or got ripped.

I think Gesell did get stripped a time or two last night, but he has his way getting to the rim with ease anytime he wanted to. At least in the game I was watching. He needs to hit FT's as does Marble, and White, and Utoff and Jok, and I could go on and on. MG has taken a step forward while Clemmons has taken a step back IMO.

You watched one game. And now your an expert iowa analyst. Gessel and Clemmons have what it takes. They just need to become more consistent.

Marble is our best PG (again), but he is also our only scorer and appears to be injured and or scuffling. When he goes out of the game, the staff works on his back, hip, something--dating back to Bahamas. Gesell and Clemmons continue to underwhelm in virtually every aspect. Flip the channels, regardless of conference, and tell me who has worse guards than we do. It is almost impossible that entering year 4, FM has not addressed the most critical position on the floor. It makes for nice local news to talk about Olaseni, Woodbury, Oglesby, etc., but those guys are role players who need someone to set them up. Nebraska's guards had Gesell and Clemmons afraid to put the ball on the floor and when they did, they made awful decisions or got ripped.

Thanks Ted...it's rare when I get to read a post that IMO has everything wrong. The team felt the pressure of the first big ten game last night and the importance to win at home. They had a 20 point lead, but didn't hit free throws and had some turnovers down the stretch...that doesn't mean everything is falling apart. They recovered, won, and we move on...it's the body of work, not one ten minute stretch.

Yep, Gesell sucks. Spot on.

Assist Turnover Ratio | DI Men's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

I love how Fran built this team. The whole country is in love guard centric teams that jack up a stream of 3 pointers so the competition to get those guys is insane. We decided to go big and are 11 deep. We will be a match up problem for everyone we play because nobody plays like us and that will make us dangerous.

The rest of us are good if you would like to switch your allegiance over to the CLOWNS! No need for you unfounded negativity here!

The **** do you expect Fran to do, be bring Michael Jordan off the bench?

OMG, IOWA HAS ROLE PLAYERS COMING OFF THE BENCH!!!! FRAN IS TERRIBLE!!!!!

This is pretty much a 99% lock tourney team. The only thing that could stop that is a Marble injury or another stretch where he just loses all of his basketball talent for 5 or 6 games like he seemed to last season.

I understand some overreaction right after a frustrating game, but to wait a day to post a thread like this? You need to take a few breaths and back away from the ledge. We still won. It was ugly, but it was a win. Good teams win ugly sometimes.
So if we beat Wisconsin, will you post that we are an Elite 8 team?

This is pretty much a 99% lock tourney team. The only thing that could stop that is a Marble injury or another stretch where he just loses all of his basketball talent for 5 or 6 games like he seemed to last season.

I don't think that would keep us out this year. I believe Iowa has enough talent/depth to absorb that a little better than we did last year.

I don't think that would keep us out this year. I believe Iowa has enough talent/depth to absorb that a little better than we did last year.

I don't think there is enough scoring talent or depth, especially when the conference season starts to grind and the number of baskets that will have to come from half court offensive sets grows. Marble is going to be crucial getting to the line and making one v one plays when the shot clock is running down in order to keep the team from going through long droughts like last year.

I don't think there is enough scoring talent or depth, especially when the conference season starts to grind and the number of baskets that will have to come from half court offensive sets grows. Marble is going to be crucial getting to the line and making one v one plays when the shot clock is running down in order to keep the team from going through long droughts like last year.

While I don't disagree that he will likely be a major part of our success this year, I do think that the team can overcome bad games by him from time to time. Last season Iowa had to lean on him to take over games. This year I don't think it will be as critical. For instance, I think guys like Uthoff and Jok will take some of that burden from him. If nothing else, they provide critical free throw shooting that Iowa desperately needs.

While I don't disagree that he will likely be a major part of our success this year, I do think that the team can overcome bad games by him from time to time. Last season Iowa had to lean on him to take over games. This year I don't think it will be as critical. For instance, I think guys like Uthoff and Jok will take some of that burden from him. If nothing else, they provide critical free throw shooting that Iowa desperately needs.

If you think Jok is going to be crucial for anything then this discussion is over. :D

Take away a couple free throws and I've been thrilled with Mike's play. I think he's played so much better than I anticipated and I think it has to do with him playing his natural position.

Same thing with Marble. Other than free throw shooting I think he's been great. He came up with some big buckets to stop runs in the ISU game. He carried the team against Xavier and even made big shots against Nova, just not enough.

Granted, the guard play was less than stellar vs Nebraska. But one game does not a season make. Iowa will be just fine. They will make the NCAA, our guards are good, everything is going according to plan, in Fran we trust.

Latest posts