This is my favorite Iowa Football Team

ChosenChildren

I have watched Iowa football and attended games since 1962. Although this is not the best Iowa team I have ever seen, it is my favorite team. Let me explain my reasons, briefly, based on observation:

1. They are together and seem exceptionally close. They are a TEAM. The players root for each other. They congratulate each other. Players on the bench who have lost a starting job are the first ones congratulating a player after a good play. The sideline seems like a close-knit group of players. The body language is great.

2. They play HARD. The effort in the 4th quarter is equal to the first quarter.

3. They play CLEAN. Very few penalties. Very few personal fouls. That is a sign of a good team.

4. They NEVER GIVE UP. This team rallied from 14 down to defeat Penn State and 10 down to defeat Illinois. They trailed Minnesota at half time.

5. They are CLUTCH, with close wins over Penn State (3 points), Northwestern (5 points), Minnesota (5 points) and Illinois (4 point lead late in the 4th quarter).

6. Their ATTENTION TO DETAIL is fantastic, especially on special teams. I give the players all of the credit. The kids on those special teams take great pride in their units.

I don't care whether we win the Division or not. It doesn't really matter to me. It was a privilege watching this team exceed expectations. Very few people saw 9-2, 10-2 or 9-3 at the beginning of the season. I was so proud to be an Iowa fan this year.

I'm hoping for a sunny bowl game. These kids really deserve it. I admire them. I hope Iowa fans will attend the bowl, regardless of location. We didn't get to attend last year, so its been a long wait!

I have watched Iowa football and attended games since 1962. Although this is not the best Iowa team I have ever seen, it is my favorite team. Let me explain my reasons, briefly, based on observation:

1. They are together and seem exceptionally close. They are a TEAM. The players root for each other. They congratulate each other. Players on the bench who have lost a starting job are the first ones congratulating a player after a good play. The sideline seems like a close-knit group of players. The body language is great.

3. They play CLEAN. Very few penalties. Very few personal fouls. That is a sign of a good team.

4. They NEVER GIVE UP. This team rallied from 14 down to defeat Penn State and 10 down to defeat Illinois. They trailed Minnesota at half time.

5. They are CLUTCH, with close wins over Penn State (3 points), Northwestern (5 points), Minnesota (5 points) and Illinois (4 point lead late in the 4th quarter).

6. Their ATTENTION TO DETAIL is fantastic, especially on special teams. I give the players all of the credit. The kids on those special teams take great pride in their units.

I don't care whether we win the Division or not. It doesn't really matter to me. It was a privilege watching this team exceed expectations. Very few people saw 9-2, 10-2 or 9-3 at the beginning of the season. I was so proud to be an Iowa fan this year.

I'm hoping for a sunny bowl game. These kids really deserve it. I admire them. I hope Iowa fans will attend the bowl, regardless of location. We didn't get to attend last year, so its been a long wait!
Don't forget we were ranked #2 at one point, however undeserved - our highest ranking since 1985 and probably won what was at the time the biggest home game in 40 years. Definitely some highlights this year.

Don't forget we were ranked #2 at one point, however undeserved - our highest ranking since 1985 and probably won what was at the time the biggest home game in 40 years. Definitely some highlights this year.
Honestly, I think the Iowa/PSU game broke both teams. Neither has been the same team since.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer's injury issues started late in the PSU game. His arm strength was not the same after that game, and that was his best physical attribute.

Honestly, I think the Iowa/PSU game broke both teams. Neither has been the same team since.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer's injury issues started late in the PSU game. His arm strength was not the same after that game, and that was his only physical attribute.
Agreed, but FIFY ;)

Wow. Great post! “like” was not enough.

This Iowa team has a chance to do what only 9 other Iowa teams ever have, win double digit games in a season. I of course wanted to win the WEST, but playing TOSU at the current moment wouldn't be great.

I bet the Hawk players and coaches would love to have a chance at tOSU. Ohio St did not play well on offense against Nebby. They looked a little off, stroud was not great in his decisions, Coach Day didnt call a great game. OSU defense won that game.

The old saying is you have to play and beat the best to be the best. Kirk's teams had a couple of times playing OSU to an even game at OSU well into the 4th qtr but could not seal the deal. You never know.

I dunno if they are my favorite team. But they define why Iowa is my favorite team.
That PSU game was buzzy. A #2 ranking (sure, it wasn't realistic, but nonetheless, there's 100+ other teams that didn't get that this year, and probably close to 100 that have not seen that in my lifetime).

The metrics have changed over time.
BCS bids. BCS victories. Rose Bowls. Conference championships. Shots at the conference championship. A legit Heisman contender and others (kickers, punters, offensive lines, Tim Dwights and of course, tight ends who are some of the best to ever play). Games like that PSU game...Marvin McNutt against Sparty. "The Catch" that came in a series of years where Iowa played either the reigning National Champs or the team who would win the title the following year in various bowl games.

All of these things I've seen since I became a fan. I'm not from Iowa. I didn't become a fan until age 18. So, I've had only about 30 years of fandom. And I missed #1/#2 vs. Michigan by just a few years.

If you're a fan, you're gonna see one of these seasons every few years. It's why I pity my fellow Missourians who are Mizzou fans. I'd pity Cyclone fans too, but you know, they do not deserve my pity.

If I had to pick, favorite team is 1990. Coming off the underwhelming 1989 season (my first year at Iowa)...Rodgers and his visor, the bruisers Bell, Stewart, and Saunders, Hughes, Derby, Devlin, Hanks.....and walkon extraordinaire Ron Geater. Plus someone who later became a neighbor and let my kids try on his old helmet. And another who is friends with a high school classmate and invited me to sit with him at a bowl game watch and bought me wings. And maybe my favorite player of all, the unsung Jon Filloon (I've always had a soft spot for athletes who weren't the "stars" and who's credits are undersung). 2nd season as a Hawk fan and they go to the Rose Bowl. Then the following one-loss season with many of the same names, and some new ones.

And yes...lean years come along. Disappointing years even. And even the bare cupboards for the transition years. But, any kid fan born after 1991, barely had time to learn how to ride a bike before they were back on their way and in the Orange Bowl. We are lucky. And I try to remind myself of this when it doesn't go the way I want.

Hawkeye Bowl Opponent​
National Champion​
2002​
USC​
OSU​
2003​
Florida​
LSU/USC​
2004​
LSU​
USC​
2005​
Florida​
Texas​
2006​
Texas​
Florida​

Yes, I know....horseshoes and hand grenades. And a year makes a difference. Again, few teams have this kind of relevancy outside of those in the second column and a handful of others. Pretty good for a bunch of kids in Iowa....year after year.

Man I love all of Iowa. I'm not a native. I wish I was still there. And I love the Hawks. My middle son just got his acceptance packet. I dunno if he will choose Iowa. It's on his short list. I'm actually pulling for Drake, but would be thrilled to see him go there. Not for the football. That's just added bonus. But, he's also leaning towards Mizzou (ugh!). Although, Mizzou would be a hell of a lot easier on my pocketbook.

Agree with OP--one of my favorite, considering we were, BY FAR, the YOUNGEST team on the field for each of our games (other teams LOADED with Super Seniors). And, considering we are a DEVELOPMENTAL school, and experience means a lot to our success. Hoping we can squeeze another victory or two out for this season.

Agree.....you can't dismiss a 9 or 10 win regular season. Technically, that is a good season at Iowa historically.

However, I do feel it will feel like a 8 or 9 win season on steroids without a West title or better.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer's injury issues started late in the PSU game. His arm strength was not the same after that game, and that was his best physical attribute.
That was an observation I made as well. Good point.

Not one of my favs, but I am not going to cry about a potential 10-2 team... that is just dumb. Being real...I got more enjoyment out of the '04 team and 8 or 9 others more so than I do this one.

That being said, there is no reason to be super negative on a Iowa team that will likely win 10+ games. None.

It's easy to understand what the OP was saying. They're definitely a team/program that seems very cohesive.

I've been watching since the mid 70's, which was not always fun, until HF arrived. This team isn't any where close to my favorite team. But, they may be one of the most overachieving teams in my years of watching.

To be 9-2 with the one of the worst offenses in D1, is truly remarkable to me.

You witnessed the Bob Cummings era first hand. We have come a long way since then