This is for hardcore Iowa FB fans only: KMM TDs

Was this the same play against Pitt where our TE was wide open down the middle? JVB completed the pass to his left for about an 8 or 9-yard gain, as I recall, but this one had big gain -- possibly even TD -- written all over it.

Was this the same play against Pitt where our TE was wide open down the middle? JVB completed the pass to his left for about an 8 or 9-yard gain, as I recall, but this one had big gain -- possibly even TD -- written all over it.

The TE ran a seem in both but Mcnutt ran an out not an up.

A lot of teams will use Derby's route to cross to the other hash to draw the safeties attention ("crossing his face")...4 verts is a cover 3 killer as well as a great man beater.

Nice! Spot on...as long as you have QB to do it. And oh baby do we have the QB to do it!!

Honestly that play can work against man but it looks like it is more designed for zone - being that you'd expect Pitt to be in a cover 2 or cover 4 zone in that situation.

The Trips and all vertical routes looks like its trying to flood the zone. If it were truly a play designed for man coverage the trips recievers wouldnt all be so close together running the same basica route

As noted it was a nice play and well executed. JV got ball over the DB but still in position where KMM could go up and get it. A little lower, it is incomplete or intercepted. Higher and KMM cant catch the ball.

As Kirk always says, it comes down to execution of plays called.

No, it wasn't the same call, as McNutt ran a comeback. There has been some mild criticism of Vandy on this, which I think is misplaced. Pitt rushed 6 on this play. Vandy had to focus on a hot read, and went with his most experienced and best receiver and completed the pass.

Honestly that play can work against man but it looks like it is more designed for zone - being that you'd expect Pitt to be in a cover 2 or cover 4 zone in that situation.

The Trips and all vertical routes looks like its trying to flood the zone. If it were truly a play designed for man coverage the trips recievers wouldnt all be so close together running the same basica route

The 4 Verticals concept is effective against all kinds of coverages and the coverage read at the snap usually dictates how the 'bender' route is run. The trips version does look to target zone looks more as you're getting 3 verticals into the same deep half.

A lot of how an OC decides to run this play would be determined by an opposing teams "carrying" practices/rules in zone schemes. Carrying a route refers to how the underneath zone defender handles a vertical route through his zone. It's pretty tough for defenders to recognize these situations and carry the vertical route in their zone correctly.

Another thing they look at is how well a deep zone defender does at "splitting" himself between verticals in his zone on tape. Particularly in 2 deep zones this becomes very important.

The doubles variation is the pretty common version as it gives you a good numbers advantages vs 2/3 deep zones and still pretty effective vs man. As a DB I always hated the multiple vertical looks. Very hard to play as a CB or a S.

For such a simple play there's an awful lot going on.

This play definatley puts pressure on the defense. It's a lower percentage throw but it really applies alot of pressure on the DB's - another thing was that Pitt didnt have a nickel db covering the slot - I could be wrong but it looked like a LB or SS type covering the slot.

Last edited:
I like this. A lot. Nice to see some analysis like this. Especially when someone like myself had to miss the majority of the game itself, as well as the radio coverage..... It's awesome seeing these charts too. This type of analysis would do certain "take-things-for-granted-types" a lot of good. I'm no football expert, but I know a great deal of "fans" who could use a shot of this in the arm, regularly... I'm gonna recommend it to them!!!

Latest posts