This iowa team is nearly unwatchable

Pretty much expected after another long break for a developmental team whose only reliable players are a freshman, sophomore and senior (occasionally). After that, the production, consistency and mental toughness drops off pretty significantly. So, yea, only having 3 guys makes it pretty tough to compete, night in / night out.

What sophomore are you talking about?

McCabe 2 points fouled out.Oglesby couldn't throw it in the ocean or make FT's.May complete non factor (back injury)Basabe choked at the line (again). We will only be better next year if these guys have their minutes drastically reduced by incoming recruits. Oglesby gets a pass for being a freshman, but I have seen enough of McCabe, May and Basabe to accept they have hit their ceilings. McCabe just mystifies me with his poor decision 9making. Sad these guys collectively sucked while Gatens played his butt off, putting the team on his shoulders. Guys couldn't even make freaking free throws.
To be fair, oglesby was nowhere near the ocean.

If the op finds this hard to watch, he apparently was not around for the lackluster years...

In comparison, now THAT was hard to watch...

Very proud of Matt's game tonight. Cartwright would have helped but we were just flat. When a gut that shoots 33% at the line (7 of 21) and hitts 2 PERFECT free throws...you know it's not meant to be.

definition of a true fan. wow. but yet take the time to post on a message board...lol...sad

Got three young kids and very limited free time. Pulled up the board to see what the score was. The last four years turned me away. Even if we were near the top of the conference I still wouldn't be able to watch every game. I look at sports as entertainment, not my life. I enjoy talking hawks here, sorry if that's not good enough for you...

Don't watch.

Agree.

Anyone with have an ounce of basketball knowledge knew it wasn't going to be easy to build the Iowa BB program up from absolute rock bottom. Fran is doing it the right way: building it back up piece by piece. There is no question the team has improved over last year. We'll see continued improvement next year and likely start contending for NCAA berths the year after that.

Look how long it is taking Crean...but the pieces are falling into place in Indiana....just like they will at Iowa over the next couple of years.

Fran WILL get it done....if you don't have the patience to wait out the inconsistencies...then go root for Iowa State. We'll see you back on the bandwagon down the road.

Last edited:
Graham,the frosh 33% ft shooter was 4 of 4 for the game.
Melsahn and Oglesby missed 7 fts.
Right there could have been the difference between winning and losing this game.
Cannot miss 9 free throws on the road with marginal talent and expect to win.

Oglesby had a very bad game. 1 of 7 from the field, 0 of 5 from the arc, 1 of 4 from the line,and on defense he made a very dumb foul of their transfer Colleto(italian stallion guy) who was clanking everything,until he got the gift from Josh, made those two,then made two from the arc and a another pair from the line....his 10 points were out of nowhere,and if Josh just lets him miss that jumper,he probably never gets in a rythmn. I agree that I hate the way that Josh fades away on all of his shots,including from 23 ft. I just never have confidence that he will be a consistent shooter fading away from the basket like that. Hope he proves me wrong,but so far he has been so inconsistent,outside of one blowout game vs IU....I know,only a frosh,but his shooting motion bugs me,and that aint changing,I suspect.

not having Cartwrught exposed this team even more, May has been suffering back problem for awhile, they also are a very inconsistent group at home they are good on the road they are not.
Wisconcin and Minnesota are the only 2 road wins all season
this team needs 2 point guards
next season we will have Gesell and Clemmons to be those pg's. then you have Marble to be the 2nd ball handler on the court
as was pointed out lst night the middle is solid. Marble, Oglesby, White, May, McCabe and Basabe, that gives the team 6 bodies to switch in and out at the 2,3 and 4 spot,then you add in Woodbury at 7'1, Meyer at 6'10 and Olaseni 6'10 with a year of developing both in skill and weight, Iowa will not to rely on 6'7 Basabe or McCabe to be the center,
to those that think this team is painful to watch, go away til next season when it should be less painful to watch

Latest posts