This hurts to say, but...

tksirius

HN's Love Doctor
Steve Deace's BB knowledge > Jon Miller's BB knowledge.

Also, could Jon Miller have any more apathy towards the Iowa BB program? Wow!

Steve Deace's BB knowledge > Jon Miller's BB knowledge.

Also, could Jon Miller have any more apathy towards the Iowa BB program? Wow!

I haven't finished the cast yet, but Deace, if anything, has more conviction in his opinions. I thought from what I've heard (bout half way through) that Jon was at least being realistic, Iowa hasn't been good at hoops in a long time. Iowa hasn't been landing in state 5 stars ever. That doesn't mean you have to accept it, I think it can be done....but I was in high school the last time Iowa was a consistent winner in hoops. It's a joke, the programs a joke and any mo we had from 14-16 is lost without a return to the NCAA's this season IMO

Deace has always been knowledgeable... can say a lot of things about Deace but to say he's anything but that wouldn't be true.
It's felt like since Jon went down to OK he's kinda gotten off the reservation some. Maybe not totally but he doesn't seem to be as fully invested as he used to be. If that's just him getting older, family, having moved away or some combo of everything life has thrown at him it just feels that way from where I sit. But I could be wrong.

I haven't finished the cast yet, but Deace, if anything, has more conviction in his opinions. I thought from what I've heard (bout half way through) that Jon was at least being realistic, Iowa hasn't been good at hoops in a long time. Iowa hasn't been landing in state 5 stars ever. That doesn't mean you have to accept it, I think it can be done....but I was in high school the last time Iowa was a consistent winner in hoops. It's a joke, the programs a joke and any mo we had from 14-16 is lost without a return to the NCAA's this season IMO

Two straight NCAA tournament misses and a 19 loss season.. I think that momentum is already lost, truthfully.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'll have a listen.

Two straight NCAA tournament misses and a 19 loss season.. I think that momentum is already lost, truthfully.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'll have a listen.

honestly - I don't. Mostly because this years Jr. Class was signed when Iowa was actually going to tournaments, same with sophomores. If Iowa fails to get something out of that, then it's lost IMO. Make the tournament again this year, and things can level out. Miss, and it's a complete waste of what we had. I don't think it's completely gone yet, but again, that's JMO/

When someone has as much apathy that Jon apparently does at this point, I don't know what the point of being a fan is.

When someone has as much apathy that Jon apparently does at this point, I don't know what the point of being a fan is.

I think the U of I stole his mojo following his The Doors "This is the End" podcast following the 2014 Nebraska debacle. He ain't been the same since! :)

honestly - I don't. Mostly because this years Jr. Class was signed when Iowa was actually going to tournaments, same with sophomores. If Iowa fails to get something out of that, then it's lost IMO. Make the tournament again this year, and things can level out. Miss, and it's a complete waste of what we had. I don't think it's completely gone yet, but again, that's JMO/

Maybe I'm wrong (I can only speculate) but if it was 2 years ago and were coming of NCAA appearances rather than 19 losses, I'm betting we crack DJ Carton's Top 3 at least. But who knows.

You make a good point about players that are already on the team. Hopefully with the current roster, they can bounce back and have a good season and all will be fine. When talking about lost momentum though, I'm thinking of players we are trying to recruit as of right now, not those we got commitments from a couple years ago.

Maybe I'm wrong (I can only speculate) but if it was 2 years ago and were coming of NCAA appearances rather than 19 losses, I'm betting we crack DJ Carton's Top 3 at least. But who knows.

You make a good point about players that are already on the team. Hopefully with the current roster, they can bounce back and have a good season and all will be fine. When talking about lost momentum though, I'm thinking of players we are trying to recruit as I'm typing this, not those we got commitments from a couple years ago.

Yes, I agree. I think if last year was better, DJ still has us in the running. Ultimately, too many things against it. I blame that all on Fran. That's why I mean, I don't think it's all lost because of last season, but it's gonna be completely gone with out some results. This year is as important as any for the program. If Iowa can't get back to the dance, Iowa should be looking a different direction.

These type of guys want to play right away, be competitive, and hope for NBA. How many of you would take a top job where the guy you will be competing with is the boss's son? Seriously how many? You think that you'd also think there will be room for the other son somewhere? Cuts down minutes.

14 losses hurt. Fran puts no one in the NBA. Fran doesn't use a real pt guard. All important but 2ndary issues.

Kid from my town never started a hs football game as was back up QB. He went to a BIG camp and was given a free ride at the BIG U, never having played HS QB. Who do you think was the QB that started over him?

Losing Carton in the first cut is ridiculous for Fran. What Miller said and he is correct is the bigger deal for Iowa is the debacle of the 2014 and 2015 recruiting years. Jesus Fran wtf are you doing. Moss is the only 1 left out of 7 players

Last edited:
I think the U of I stole his mojo following his The Doors "This is the End" podcast following the 2014 Nebraska debacle. He ain't been the same since! :)
lol. jon was right, then. but the next season he was 180 different. everyone has their own motivations. i don't know his. i can only believe what he said..."he was tired of being negative," but he was being as honest as anyone in the media had ever been, about the iowa program.

I think his attitude is incredibly defeatist. There are lots of programs who don't cheat. My expectations aren't a final four. You don't need to pay players to get top 150 talent, you just don't.

Deace once said Devin Gardner (heading into his senior season) was the only B10 quarterback who should be in the Heisman race.

Gardner threw 10 touchdowns to a whopping 15 interceptions his senior year. He finished 15-13 overall at Michigan as a starting QB. I'm not sure what he was seeing...but I'm skeptical ever since. The only thing I can think of is that the Blue Googles were a bit dirty that preseason.

You make a good point about players that are already on the team. Hopefully with the current roster, they can bounce back and have a good season and all will be fine. When talking about lost momentum though, I'm thinking of players we are trying to recruit as of right now, not those we got commitments from a couple years ago.

I wonder if Carton has a different opinion of Michigan if they miss that miracle shot in the 2nd round last year. I know it changed the perception of them on this board. I put almost zero stock in lucky tournament runs.

I am not saying Fran is or isn't cheating. You guys are horribly naive if you think a struggling coach says he isn't cheating in fact isn't cheating or trying to cheat or wouldn't cheat.

Pretty straight forward. People do lie. People do say what is expedient. Except for no investigations, we have no other evidence pro or con.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Latest posts