This describes Iowa...

Brian Bennett: They say timing is everything. Since the Hawkeyes signed Kirk Ferentz to another massive contract extension on Sept. 6, the team has gone 4-3, with three straight losses at home. Ferentz needs two more wins this year to trigger another fully vested year of his contract between 2021 and 2025, which is only 50 percent guaranteed right now. In other words, if Iowa wins seven games, Ferentz basically gets a $2.25 million bonus.

That should tell you how Iowa views Iowa.

Other than the law of common sense? No laws broken. Especially considering I don't think Gary had to do any arm twisting to get KF to agree with the terms.

Sadly, the reverse is also true.:(

Brian Bennett: They say timing is everything. Since the Hawkeyes signed Kirk Ferentz to another massive contract extension on Sept. 6, the team has gone 4-3, with three straight losses at home. Ferentz needs two more wins this year to trigger another fully vested year of his contract between 2021 and 2025, which is only 50 percent guaranteed right now. In other words, if Iowa wins seven games, Ferentz basically gets a $2.25 million bonus.

That should tell you how Iowa views Iowa.

I think several posters, including at least one of the admins are failing to see how the program is being portrayed on the national level.

Other than the law of common sense? No laws broken. Especially considering I don't think Gary had to do any arm twisting to get KF to agree with the terms.

And how do you know? When something so ludicrous as the contract takes place in a public institution, in the past the media would have been investigating. Now they are afraid of getting blocked out of events. Something surely doesn't smell right. Remember Hillary said she did things right on emails? Some of you are so naive. Sorry, but Iowa wasn't so desperate and Barta not so stupid. The contract clearly didn't make sense without a motive. Investigations have taken place on lesser suspicions.

And how do you know? When something so ludicrous as the contract takes place in a public institution, in the past the media would have been investigating. Now they are afraid of getting blocked out of events. Something surely doesn't smell right. Remember Hillary said she did things right on emails? Some of you are so naive. Sorry, but Iowa wasn't so desperate and Barta not so stupid. The contract clearly didn't make sense without a motive. Investigations have taken place on lesser suspicions.

There's no oversight by the regents on this contract. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. If I'm correct then we have ourselves a legit issue.

The contract clearly didn't make sense without a motive.

I'm not a lawyer ( technically, the only thing I know about law comes from tv & movies so may not be 100% accurate ), but isn't there a requirement that for a contract to be valid / legal it must be something that a reasonable person would agree to?

regarding the OP.

"The Mendoza line" I think most years is accurate. Iowa is the lowest of the decent teams. Below Iowa are the bad teams. Iowa rarely flat out sucks. They're a tough out, but they don't scare you. Kinda like what Minnesota has become.

I'm not a lawyer ( technically, the only thing I know about law comes from tv & movies so may not be 100% accurate ), but isn't there a requirement that for a contract to be valid / legal it must be something that a reasonable person would agree to?
Sounds familiar. Go on....

Considering the hundreds of thousands of laws on the books, it really wouldn't surprise me if a law was broken. The average person can't make a trip to the post office without breaking a few laws. But, whateva. That's life!

I gave you a like because there is a law/regulation/ordinance for everything. And then 10,000 judges capable of misinterpreting those laws. Most people probably don't even know that 99.999 % of municipalities regulate the height and type of grass you can grow on your own property. Sad how many people are desperate to surrender hard-fought-for freedoms.

Considering the hundreds of thousands of laws on the books, it really wouldn't surprise me if a law was broken. The average person can't make a trip to the post office without breaking a few laws. But, whateva. That's life!
Well when you find that one law of hundred of thousands that was broken let us all know. I'm pretty sure I can make it to my post office without breaking any laws.

Are you that guy that wants scumbag CEOs to face no consequences because what they did was technically not illegal? Its a crap contract that the national media is once again laughing at.
No I'm not that guy. I would love to see scumbag CEOs punished for their greed. Have Iowa try to change the contract now and see how much it costs the University.