Things I know....

Boise - Not directed at any one person....no offense to your nephew. It is the PROGRAM that is stale rotted flesh.

If a a Big Ten winning percentage of just north of 50% is a legacy, then it's no wonder you think KF's legacy is secure. His legacy is mediocre at best. Iowa Sate fan having fun? Boy, you people are either real paranoid, or real stupid. What Cyclone fan would go to Miami 5 days early to take in the 2002 Orange Bowl? I guess this one, huh?

Walker - Logo is too round...looks as if a 5th grader won a talent contest designing it. Look how nice mid-court at Carver looks now with it stretched out.

Rollface- Ok...so what is the biggest problem?

Easton - I have no clue where the Ames reference comes from...been there once in my life, and I've lived out of Iowa for almost 30 years now.

The talent on this team is far from great but when you lose to teams with less talent consistently, talent is not the issue.

Talent simply masks the issue.

The issue is that winning is not paramount in this program, doing things a certain way is.

And it's easy to see why winning is not paramount when job performance has no bearing on future income .

the problems here are far worse than lack talent.

Last edited:
I do believe that Ferentz has a singular view of how football is to be played and will never dramatically change from that view. It's about fundamentals, execution, discipline, grind it out, risk adverse, wear you down football. The problem has become that his teams don't meet those criteria much right now. Iowa is not Alabama. However, that remains his holy grail. Every so often it comes close so that the pursuit remains justified.

He's a decent man who has had just enough success that Iowa would look like (and would probably be) a callous, ungrateful cad if they let him go (that and the 16 ton anvil that is over the administration's head that if they let him go and the next guy who comes in is less successful they'd be run out of IC). He's not going anywhere until he decides he's had enough.

People can certainly complain, just as long as they accept that nothing will change about the way Iowa plays football while being led by Coach Ferentz. If that cannot be accepted then the best solution for that person is to find another team to root for, at least for the time being.

The whole ENTIRE football program is stale rotted flesh....right down to the game day presentations and uniforms. The worst part about it is that people are now totally resigned to the fact that unless there is a buyout or KF gets caught trying to put more family members in government subsidized housing, we are SCREWED!!! Why even call for the head of Greg Davis....you think KF is going to bring in someone who doesn't have his "Lose em' close" attitude...think again! Terrible coaching and philosophies aside, the BIGGEST problem is the lack of talent which comes from lazy recruiting, and a second class citizen mentality by the head coach. Sorry, but you don't win Championships trying to "Coach up" 2 stars for 12 straight games. Hate to beat a dead horse, but I have NEVER once thought that KF has ever maintained the thought of competing for a National Championship....again, see recruiting....not to mention his staff. I am not a wrestling fan, but I know enough about Dan Gable to know that he wanted his teams ready by the first match of the year, and winning a Big 10 Championship was something that simply happened along the way to a bigger goal. Things are stale and outdated right down to the white knee high socks the players continue to wear, 5 inch high numerals on the back of the helmets, and helmet logo that needs stretched out (too round)....and no, it can be stretched without looking like crack hawk. The sports media in Iowa confuses me the same way the national golf media does with Tiger Woods....they both are totally intimidated to the point of it being embarrassing. And for what? Neither man gives you ANYTHING new when being interviewed....so what is the big loss if you get on the bad side of them and get your credential pulled? Someone from your station will be allowed in with a microphone to get the same old stale garbage...so why lose sleep....why not be the first person to step up and ask the questions that would get asked in cities like Columbus, OH or Austin, TX....time for a buyout now folks...things are NOT getting better. Being resigned to KF going out on his own terms should make Hawk fans vomit in their mouths.

My only question would be, why a new thread for this? To me this looks exactly like every other thread on here right now.

The whole ENTIRE football program is stale rotted flesh....right down to the game day presentations and uniforms. The worst part about it is that people are now totally resigned to the fact that unless there is a buyout or KF gets caught trying to put more family members in government subsidized housing, we are SCREWED!!! Why even call for the head of Greg Davis....you think KF is going to bring in someone who doesn't have his "Lose em' close" attitude...think again! Terrible coaching and philosophies aside, the BIGGEST problem is the lack of talent which comes from lazy recruiting, and a second class citizen mentality by the head coach. Sorry, but you don't win Championships trying to "Coach up" 2 stars for 12 straight games. Hate to beat a dead horse, but I have NEVER once thought that KF has ever maintained the thought of competing for a National Championship....again, see recruiting....not to mention his staff. I am not a wrestling fan, but I know enough about Dan Gable to know that he wanted his teams ready by the first match of the year, and winning a Big 10 Championship was something that simply happened along the way to a bigger goal. Things are stale and outdated right down to the white knee high socks the players continue to wear, 5 inch high numerals on the back of the helmets, and helmet logo that needs stretched out (too round)....and no, it can be stretched without looking like crack hawk. The sports media in Iowa confuses me the same way the national golf media does with Tiger Woods....they both are totally intimidated to the point of it being embarrassing. And for what? Neither man gives you ANYTHING new when being interviewed....so what is the big loss if you get on the bad side of them and get your credential pulled? Someone from your station will be allowed in with a microphone to get the same old stale garbage...so why lose sleep....why not be the first person to step up and ask the questions that would get asked in cities like Columbus, OH or Austin, TX....time for a buyout now folks...things are NOT getting better. Being resigned to KF going out on his own terms should make Hawk fans vomit in their mouths.

Too long.

I don't read long threads.

L

O

L

:)

I do believe that Ferentz has a singular view of how football is to be played and will never dramatically change from that view. It's about fundamentals, execution, discipline, grind it out, risk adverse, wear you down football. The problem has become that his teams don't meet those criteria much right now. Iowa is not Alabama. However, that remains his holy grail. Every so often it comes close so that the pursuit remains justified.

He's a decent man who has had just enough success that Iowa would look like (and would probably be) a callous, ungrateful cad if they let him go (that and the 16 ton anvil that is over the administration's head that if they let him go and the next guy who comes in is less successful they'd be run out of IC). He's not going anywhere until he decides he's had enough.

People can certainly complain, just as long as they accept that nothing will change about the way Iowa plays football while being led by Coach Ferentz. If that cannot be accepted then the best solution for that person is to find another team to root for, at least for the time being.

Very nicely stated, but likely falls on deaf ears/keyboards.

You're thinking way too big here. The focus here at Iowa is to keep it simple and pick up that 1st down on 3rd and 2. The rest takes care of its self.

~sarcasam

Pretty good post. Well done. I've read on this message board and heard in some of Jon's podcasts that the hope of many is that Greg Davis is a place holder type of coach while Brian Ferentz is being groomed for OC. If that is in fact the case, I could see some things change on offense. Not a lot but I could see a bit more aggressiveness.

"The things we think and do not say."

Is this a memo or a mission statement?

Things I Know....................

I know that the word hope is a word I've used more often in the last 4 (going on 5) seasons when talking about the Hawkeyes. I think pray may be near.

Well stated! Agree with every aspect.

Never met but by all accounts and perceptions, KirkFer = good husband, good father, good man, loyal, compassionate and generous. Great attributes and characteristics to hang your hat on.

However, I will probably never know KirkFer as a friend. I will probably never interact with him on such a personal level as to know those attributes. My only "relationship" with him is that he coaches my alma mater's football team -- the one and only, at any level, that I've ever cheered for and invested in as a fan.

Based on that, I only "know" KirkFer as a poor player- to-scheme manager and poor football strategist, especially on the fly / within a game. I only attribute to him the responsibility for putting a nearly unwatchable, certainly underperforming, product on the field.

The result ... over the last 6 or 7 years of his tenure, I've slowly bled out and am very close to that state of existence in your last paragraph.
-- Despite having season tickets, I could care less if I attend the last 3 games and will plan on selling them (as I did the Indiana game).
-- I am certainly not renewing those tickets next season (unless KirkFer, that G.d. G.D., or both are no longer on the sidelines).
-- I have little to no excitement, let alone motivation, to even watch the game on TV, at least live.
-- I hope Iowa wins but have resigned to expecting they won't.
-- I sometimes find myself having more and more contemptuous feelings toward Iowa football.
(This is a real internal conflict for me, too. I want to LOVE Hawkeye football like I did growing up and have for over 40 years. I want to feel that passion and pride, like I still do for basketball. It's such a painful ... loss; like a divorce or death. The fire, the joy ... it's in a deep coma, barely sputtering to survive on life support.)

I'm still not at the point where I actively cheer for another team. Partly out of feeling it would be hypocritical to hop on another bandwagon (despite the super-fan Polly's around here, that's not how I roll) and very much due to the guilt over betraying Iowa.

I guess I consider myself a Hawkeye football agnostic, bordering on atheism.

Burn it all!!!! Burn it to the ground I say!

Pretty good post. Well done. I've read on this message board and heard in some of Jon's podcasts that the hope of many is that Greg Davis is a place holder type of coach while Brian Ferentz is being groomed for OC. If that is in fact the case, I could see some things change on offense. Not a lot but I could see a bit more aggressiveness.

going off topic a bit here.

STOP THE BRIAN FERENTZ OC NARRATIVE !!!!

There isn't a shred of evidence that he would make a good OC. Especially given his tenure coachin and because he has not as of yet distinguished himself as an offensive line posission coach.

PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS This goes is the heap with Hire Bob Stoops and Paint the water tower

Well stated! Agree with every aspect.

Never met but by all accounts and perceptions, KirkFer = good husband, good father, good man, loyal, compassionate and generous. Great attributes and characteristics to hang your hat on.

However, I will probably never know KirkFer as a friend. I will probably never interact with him on such a personal level as to know those attributes. My only "relationship" with him is that he coaches my alma mater's football team -- the one and only, at any level, that I've ever cheered for and invested in as a fan.

Based on that, I only "know" KirkFer as a poor player- to-scheme manager and poor football strategist, especially on the fly / within a game. I only attribute to him the responsibility for putting a nearly unwatchable, certainly underperforming, product on the field.

The result ... over the last 6 or 7 years of his tenure, I've slowly bled out and am very close to that state of existence in your last paragraph.
-- Despite having season tickets, I could care less if I attend the last 3 games and will plan on selling them (as I did the Indiana game).
-- I am certainly not renewing those tickets next season (unless KirkFer, that G.d. G.D., or both are no longer on the sidelines).
-- I have little to no excitement, let alone motivation, to even watch the game on TV, at least live.
-- I hope Iowa wins but have resigned to expecting they won't.
-- I sometimes find myself having more and more contemptuous feelings toward Iowa football.
(This is a real internal conflict for me, too. I want to LOVE Hawkeye football like I did growing up and have for over 40 years. I want to feel that passion and pride, like I still do for basketball. It's such a painful ... loss; like a divorce or death. The fire, the joy ... it's in a deep coma, barely sputtering to survive on life support.)

I'm still not at the point where I actively cheer for another team. Partly out of feeling it would be hypocritical to hop on another bandwagon (despite the super-fan Polly's around here, that's not how I roll) and very much due to the guilt over betraying Iowa.

I guess I consider myself a Hawkeye football agnostic, bordering on atheism.

very well said.. same way I feel about the Hawkeyes. I was in school during the days of Chuck Long and the magical ,but short ride at #1. It's been done before and it can again. But that is not the goal of the current coach. 7-5 and make a bowl. Repeat. The worst part is its so frustrating watching this team play. KF is regularly outcoached on gameday. I still watch live on TV,but stopped attending games. I won't pay the dime to watch this in person anymore.

going off topic a bit here.

STOP THE BRIAN FERENTZ OC NARRATIVE !!!!

There isn't a shred of evidence that he would make a good OC. Especially given his tenure coachin and because he has not as of yet distinguished himself as an offensive line posission coach.

PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS This goes is the heap with Hire Bob Stoops and Paint the water tower
But don't dismiss the Les Jepsen talk.

Walker - Logo is too round...looks as if a 5th grader won a talent contest designing it. Look how nice mid-court at Carver looks now with it stretched out.

Rollface- Ok...so what is the biggest problem?

Easton - I have no clue where the Ames reference comes from...been there once in my life, and I've lived out of Iowa for almost 30 years now.

Take a look at any list of the best/recognizable logos and you'll find Iowaon it. Would you prefer we spend 40 years trying to find an identity the way Cyclone football has. Maybe we could put Herky in a blender, would that be better.

Latest posts