There are no excuses.

justdavidlee

All I hear from Jon and some others is excuses as to why we should not expect this team to finish with a big ten title. The injury excuse is unacceptable. Indiana and Nwestern are not that good. It is time to expect to beat these teams, without exception. A loss to either one and the natl. media is right about Iowa. This is Big Ten FB, everybody is hurting. Time to Nutt up and get it done. Anything less than 11-1 is a failure at this point.

Jon is just laying in the weeds on this, tempering expectations...anything can happen now injuries change everything...I agree with Jon

All I hear from Jon and some others is excuses as to why we should not expect this team to finish with a big ten title. The injury excuse is unacceptable. Indiana and Nwestern are not that good. It is time to expect to beat these teams, without exception. A loss to either one and the natl. media is right about Iowa. This is Big Ten FB, everybody is hurting. Time to Nutt up and get it done. Anything less than 11-1 is a failure at this point.

GTFO. It's posts like these that made me hate the other boards. Enough of your negative BS. Take it elsewhere. How suddenly this football team owes YOU something!? Beginning of the year any of us would have taken 10-2 and been happy with it now suddenly this team owes you the world? GTFO. You bring absolutely nothing of value to Hawkeye fandom.

I have not said anything with regards to not expecting a Big Ten title. I have said I am not thinking about a national title.

That being said, I think that some of your statements that I have highlighted about are outrageous, and the kind of mindset that gives message boards a bad name. The world is not black and white; its gray.

Injuries not an excuse? The no excuses mantra might be good for a Nike slogan, but in real life, when you analyze things, if Iowa doesnt make it, of course there are reasons.

This is a moronic opinion to have.

If you go home for work, and help your wife out and say you have to take your kid to the doctor because she had a bad cut, and it caused you to not get your work completed....if you get fired for that, no excuses right?

Of course not...be real here, please. If you can't, please go somewhere else. And folks that are irritated by my reply here, you may just want to follow him out the door.

GTFO. It's posts like these that made me hate the other boards. Enough of your negative BS. Take it elsewhere. How suddenly this football team owes YOU something!? Beginning of the year any of us would have taken 10-2 and been happy with it now suddenly this team owes you the world? GTFO. You bring absolutely nothing of value to Hawkeye fandom.
I'm going to agree, justdavidlee has not had 1 good post, ever. We aren't like the Florida's and USC's (yet) Dace (best on OL) and starting tailback out is going to make it tough. Jon wasn't offering excuses, just opening our eyes.

Good comments on the radio this morning as well, Jon.

Another thing to point out is that the coaches and players will NOT ever use this as an excuse. I would be surprised if we don't see other players step up their game in the coming weeks to make up for fallen teammates. I think we have a special group of players this year that want to win for each other and their coach.

That being said, we as fans need to calm down a bit. I am definitely dreaming of a possible undefeated season and shot at a national championship. I have been a nervous wreck for weeks now and will be until the clock ticks to 0:00 on 11/21 against Minny!

However, we also have to put the entire season in perspective. I will be disappointed if we don't go 11-1 or 12-0 given where we are right now. I think that is only natural human emotion when we are so close to doing something we have never done before. However, I will also be able to celebrate a 10-2 season with a lot of pride with a shot at winning an 11th game in a good bowl game. Most people expected us to have at least 2 losses at this point in the season anyway!

Enjoy the ride Hawk Fans. It is OK to be disappointed if we lose a game or two the rest of the way. However, show your disappointment with class and definitely don't take it out with message board attacks on the players and coaches.

Go Hawks!

Only thing I disagree with is the use of the word "failure". Anything less then 11-1 would be a bummer, a disappointment. If Iowa cannot to beat IN, NW and MN @ Kinnick even with injuries, we should all have agreed with nat'l pundits who question Iowa.

Hawks have proven in KF years they can win w/o a #1 RB. We beat MSU on the road w/o Dace.

Of course anything can happen - but Hawks should still take care of businiess @ Kinnick.

I've always thought getting to a bowl game was job 1 and have never thought much about the NC. Would I like it? Of course. Do I expect it? Not really. Would it bother me to "settle" for the Rose Bowl at 11-1 or Cap One 10-2? I'd sign up for the Rose right now. I've been a Hawk for a long time and I know what it is like to not go to a bowl game. Hayden always said two things that I agree with: "no bowl is a bad bowl" and "at Iowa a win is a win". This has been a phenomenal year and we have 4 more opportunities to make it even better (including 3 more fantastic Saturdays in Kinnick). I am going to enjoy each and every week left in this special season and, win, lose or draw, I am looking forward to a sunny, happy New Years day. Go Hawks!!

I've always thought getting to a bowl game was job 1 and have never thought much about the NC. Would I like it? Of course. Do I expect it? Not really. Would it bother me to "settle" for the Rose Bowl at 11-1 or Cap One 10-2? I'd sign up for the Rose right now. I've been a Hawk for a long time and I know what it is like to not go to a bowl game. Hayden always said two things that I agree with: "no bowl is a bad bowl" and "at Iowa a win is a win". This has been a phenomenal year and we have 4 more opportunities to make it even better (including 3 more fantastic Saturdays in Kinnick). I am going to enjoy each and every week left in this special season and, win, lose or draw, I am looking forward to a sunny, happy New Years day. Go Hawks!!

AMEN!!

Jon,

Any plans of adding the ignore feature to the new site? Would really come in handy in the next couple weeks.

I think this already exists. Just click on the user and a dropdown should appear with the option. I've been having troubles with the dropdowns at work so I'm not sure if there is an issue with it. Jon, maybe look at this?

I have not said anything with regards to not expecting a Big Ten title. I have said I am not thinking about a national title.

That being said, I think that some of your statements that I have highlighted about are outrageous, and the kind of mindset that gives message boards a bad name. The world is not black and white; its gray.

Injuries not an excuse? The no excuses mantra might be good for a Nike slogan, but in real life, when you analyze things, if Iowa doesnt make it, of course there are reasons.

This is a moronic opinion to have.

If you go home for work, and help your wife out and say you have to take your kid to the doctor because she had a bad cut, and it caused you to not get your work completed....if you get fired for that, no excuses right?

Of course not...be real here, please. If you can't, please go somewhere else. And folks that are irritated by my reply here, you may just want to follow him out the door.

+1 Thanks Jon.

"No excuse."

Really?

Injuries ARE an excuse. If I break my leg and can't walk on it, will you consider my limping unacceptable?

If we lose Stanzi, we are probably screwed. Same goes for Clayborn. That's just the way it is. Injuries have more impact on football teams than just about anything else, aside from your coach being named Ron Zook.

I think this already exists. Just click on the user and a dropdown should appear with the option. I've been having troubles with the dropdowns at work so I'm not sure if there is an issue with it. Jon, maybe look at this?

I think that along with reputation, smiles actually appearing and the friends list are little things that hopefully will be good to go soon.

I will take 11-1 and the Rose Bowl and not think of the season as a failure, 10-2 and Cap One is not a very good year but a great year. Will I be disappointed if Iowa goes 2-2 in the last 4 and doesn't make the Rose Bowl, without a question, but it still won't mean the season was a failure. It's not like we win 10 games every year.

The person who started this fan reminds me of "annoying hawk fan" at Kinnick. Its the person who sits one row behond me and ******* about everything that happens. I am not a fan of annoying hawk fan

Latest posts