Theory on poor recruiting......

Sparky - You make some good points, but you are NEVER going to win big having to "coach everyone up"....and your margin for error is razor thin when your team has off days. The perfect analogy to my first point is and has always been the 2002 Orange Bowl. Despite all the talent we had on that team, SC still had better athletes and beat us to the corners on both sides of the ball all nite long. You cannot coach athleticism and speed into 2 stars at the skill positions.

BTW, Deace just said on Jon's podcast the same thing I said on my original post about having to revolt like Michigan fans did.

Last edited:
You've heard my theory, haven't you? Good golly, I'm mentioned it enough times on this board..

KF can't recruit because KF doesn't use athleticism in his system. It's a 2-3 star system. I'm not saying KF's system doesn't have athletes with high athletic skills. I'm saying KF's system minimizes the use of high athletic skills. KF's type of system is easier to recruit but also wouldn't satisfy most fan bases because of the lower ceiling of success in winning games.

The Iowa football player with athleticism realizes his athleticism doesn't cut it with KF's staff if the player doesn't first abide by KF's system. They might sit on the bench and eventually transfer to schools that normally value athleticism higher than Iowa does. Or worse happens to the Iowa player if they act out. We might see this with Willies. IMO, Willies realizes he made a mistake leaving in mid-season because he's probably heard negative comments from other schools.

KF's staff experiences a few castoffs of athletes that don't fit into KF's system and Iowa gets a reputation as a school athletes should stay away from. So, the athlete stays away from Iowa.

The circle perpetuates itself. Maybe KF likes the 2-3 star system because he realizes 2-3 star players are the players that willingly play his system?

Last edited:
You've heard my theory, haven't you? Good golly, I'm mentioned it enough times on this board..

KF can't recruit because KF doesn't use athleticism in his system. It's a 2-3 star system. His system is geared more to playing his system than utilizing players' athleticism. KF's type of system is easier to recruit but also wouldn't satisfy most fan bases because of the lower ceiling of success in winning games.

The Iowa football player with athleticism realizes his athleticism doesn't cut it with KF's staff if the player doesn't first abide by KF's system. They might sit on the bench and eventually transfer to schools that normally value athleticism of players higher than Iowa. Or worse happens to the Iowa player if they act out.

KF's staff experiences a few castoffs of athletes that don't fit into KF's system and Iowa gets a reputation as a school athletes should stay away from. So, the athlete stays away from Iowa.

Well probably true when your striving for "Bowl Championships!" Gotta get to the bowl before you can win the bowl, right Kirk?

Homer - Not one thing you said is incorrect....too bad that none of it makes for a winning formula at the highest level.

I think our upcoming bowl game will be an interesting comparison with Developmental meeting Young Studs and some of those highly rated young southern recruits. Tennessee is loaded with youth and highly rated young talent.......12 FR or SOPH on the starting units. I count basically 18 JUN or SEN in Iowa's starters.

On paper you would think an experienced club with more seasoned players should be a favorite in most cases against this degree of youth. A good measuring stick game for how important the talent element is?

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/tennessee/91993

Thanks for your opinion. What did you base it on ? Have you ever had a conversation with the man ? Have you ever talked to anyone who worked for him ? Im sure you have at least talked to a few guys who played for him ?? Or are you just blowing off steam. Because this team did underachive ?[/QUOTE

Perhaps the OP read this article by Jon: http://hawkeyenation.com/football/decade-average-development

It's possible, right?

Think of the length had he not wisely used 9 ellipses.

I'm not sure what's worse, you taking the time to count them... Or me taking the time to count them to see if you're right! :)

And although I use them frequently... I never knew they were called ellipses.

Two

Thanks for your opinion. What did you base it on ? Have you ever had a conversation with the man ? Have you ever talked to anyone who worked for him ? Im sure you have at least talked to a few guys who played for him ?? Or are you just blowing off steam. Because this team did underachive ?[/QUOTE

Perhaps the OP read this article by Jon: http://hawkeyenation.com/football/decade-average-development

It's possible, right?

That article deals entirely with Iowa FB performance. I do not think (correct me if I am wrong) LASBUR was trying to indicate that Iowa FB performance was substantially better than the OP suggests. I think he was questioning the judgments the OP was making regarding motivations and character of Coach Ferentz, as highlighted below:

his only real joy in life seems to be doing what pleases KF.....all done with his middle finger extended high....KF gets more jazzed over coaching up a bunch of 2 stars from West Branch and reaching a BCS Bowl then he EVER would winning a National Championship with a bunch of can't miss 4 stars from all the hot bed areas. He has an ego larger than most of us can ever imagine him having....he would get ZERO satisfaction winning with Ohio State or Alabama type recruits...takes the luster off of him and leaves his ego unfulfilled.

Thanks CP. I have no problem discussing Iowa FB problems. I get very frustrated at times myself. I just cant stand these rants people go making personel attacks. Its part of the cowardly culture you get when people can hide behind screen name. KF is a fine man and a pretty darn good coach

Bottom line is this....now that KF has his millions and seemingly NOTHING to prove to anyone including his AD, his only real joy in life seems to be doing what pleases KF.....all done with his middle finger extended high. I will go to my grave stating the following which I believe 100%....KF gets more jazzed over coaching up a bunch of 2 stars from West Branch and reaching a BCS Bowl then he EVER would winning a National Championship with a bunch of can't miss 4 stars from all the hot bed areas. He has an ego larger than most of us can ever imagine him having....he would get ZERO satisfaction winning with Ohio State or Alabama type recruits...takes the luster off of him and leaves his ego unfulfilled. Non-conference games bore Kirk to death....why do you think Iowa comes out so unprepared and loses so many of them? A: He treats them like NFL pre-season. He doesn't look at non-conference losses as a major stumbling block to a National Championship, because he is geared toward nothing more than trying to dummy down his way into a West Division Championship....NOTHING More. His recruiting habits and subsequent rankings for what he is being paid are absolutely inexcusable beyond belief. Iowa fans as usual just take all this S lying down....cannot believe that this year wasn't enough to warrant protesting like that at Michigan....do something people!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyENheI2vEQ

That is what reading that post was like. Or eerily similar...

are you really serious? Remember what happened when we did get all those four star "studs" rather then the guys that Kirk can mold and work with? How many females where attacked? How many actually lived up to their four stars on the field? Lets look at the guys who we will always attach to Kirks legacy like Bob Sanders, Robert Gallery, Chad Greenway, Abdul Hodge, Fred Russell, Ricky Stanzi and guys like that. Most of what Kirk did was with lower star recruits. Unfortunately I think that Kirks assistant coaches cant coach up the players the way they used to. King this year could have been more of a Sanders but I think maybe the coaching wasn't there.

Come on Gunner....that tells me that KF doesn't know how to deal with the blue chip recruit...not that you give up on going after them. You get a bad egg, out he goes....simple. You think Alabama could win all these NC'S by coaching up 2 stars and not having an S load full of 4 stars??? No way buddy!

This forum since Black Friday.

trostle%27s+dead+horses.jpg

------ I think that's the thing any coach really enjoys.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football-rick-brown/2014/12/15/recruiting-advantage-tennessee-iowa-taxslayer-bowl/20438143/

No Kirk,,,,,you enjoy it more than any other coach....it feeds your ego to try and do more with less, and sometimes succeed. But making a career out of doing it is a recipe for 7-5 seasons!!!

Latest posts