The weather outside is frightful, IA injuries are not delightful, let it snow Maryland Game Thread

I think you misunderstood his post. With Bohannon back next year, he will either have to sit or a starter from this year will have to sit. There's Garza, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor, and Joe T. Who will sit?

Full disclosure. When I was typing this, I had it in my head that we had 5 really good starters and Connor was easily the worst. But that was only the case if Bohannon was already playing. As it is right now, it would obviously be Joe T coming off the bench. I'm excited as hell at the idea of Nunge subbing for Garza and Joe T subbing in at PG. If Patrick can get healthy and play close to his recruiting ranking, he will be a great wing sub. If not, we have 4 options at freshmen who can hopefully be really good.
Before injuries Joe T is a sub . Cmac by far is the least talented starter . It’s not even debatable. I’m wondering if Huck has ever actually watched basketball

Before injuries Joe T is a sub . Cmac by far is the least talented starter . It’s not even debatable. I’m wondering if Huck has ever actually watched basketball

But what's wrong with Bohannon, CJ, Wieskamp, Connor, and Garza? Who are you saying starts over Connor?

But what's wrong with Bohannon, CJ, Wieskamp, Connor, and Garza? Who are you saying starts over Connor?
I kind of think that if everyone comes back Bohannon might be the 6th man. He will still play a ton and be in the end of games but just won’t start.

Toussaint
Fredrick
Wieskamp
McCaffery
Garza

That allows you to start with some better defensive matchups. Still plenty of scoring. Maybe that’s a bold take by me but just a thought I had.

Honestly knowing our luck I doubt we get all those guys back anyway.

I kind of think that if everyone comes back Bohannon might be the 6th man. He will still play a ton and be in the end of games but just won’t start.

Toussaint
Fredrick
Wieskamp
McCaffery
Garza

That allows you to start with some better defensive matchups. Still plenty of scoring. Maybe that’s a bold take by me but just a thought I had.

Honestly knowing our luck I doubt we get all those guys back anyway.

I think Toussaint is going to have to improve quite a bit for Fran to bench a healthy Bohannon. Even if it's the right decision by a small margin, I don't think Fran would do it. He's too loyal to his players to bench a guy like Bohannon in his last year for a slightly better player. If it's a no brainer decision he will obviously do it. I'm rooting for Toussaint to force is hand.

But he also said "will he sit". I read it as in to make room for Bohannon. Am I wrong on that? I don't really want to go back and look.
He did ask that . If I was the coach he would sit if JBO comes back completely healthy. I would have Joe T back up JBO at the 1 and Cmac back up CJ at the 2 if CJ is healthy

Either way Connor is gonna be a guy who gets a huge bulk of the minutes because he’s money.
On this particular team he’s been money for sure. We’ve needed him and we aren’t where we are without him. I like small ball so I like him (or any guard like player that can handle it) at the 4.

With that said on a different team next year that might not necessarily be the case. He’s shooting 30.6% from the floor in B1G play averaging 7 points on 7.2 shots. Obviously he brings other things that don’t show up in the stat column, but those numbers do limit what you can do to an extent. The argument though I suppose can be made that when we get all our horses back he won’t need to shoot that much and can focus on the other things he does well.

I do like him to start at the 4 next year.

I think Toussaint is going to have to improve quite a bit for Fran to bench a healthy Bohannon. Even if it's the right decision by a small margin, I don't think Fran would do it. He's too loyal to his players to bench a guy like Bohannon in his last year for a slightly better player. If it's a no brainer decision he will obviously do it. I'm rooting for Toussaint to force is hand.
I think all fair points.

If Bohannon is healthy next year, there's almost no chance in hell he doesn't start. He's a defensive liability, but his leadership and shooting will trump that by a mile. I can't fathom Fran not starting him.

If Bohannon is healthy next year, there's almost no chance in hell he doesn't start. He's a defensive liability, but his leadership and shooting will trump that by a mile. I can't fathom Fran not starting him.
He will without question and absolutely deserves to start. This team is much, much better with JBO. One of the best players in the history of the program does not come off the bench as a 5th year senior. If JT turns into Isaiah Thomas then you start them both and fill in from there.

As bad as the nebby loss was...was basically neutralized by this win.
I'm not sure about this. Big10 home teams are 26-4 and 6-1 unranked vs. ranked at home so you have to beat the bottom of the conference at their place or you're giving up a game to the teams you're working against in the middle/top of the conference.

(the last note W% could change drastically in one weekend though)

good thing for them Iowa doesn't play defense or a 30something burger would be on the board.

/sarc

Not too often as an iowa fan do you see an opposing team play so bad the entire game. It was fun to see. I kept thinking they would make a run but it never came. Every time they got the ball I would think "they have to score here". Then they would promptly throw up a brick or throw the ball out of bounds.

I think you misunderstood his post. With Bohannon back next year, he will either have to sit or a starter from this year will have to sit. There's Garza, Wieskamp, CJ, Connor, and Joe T. Who will sit?

Full disclosure. When I was typing this, I had it in my head that we had 5 really good starters and Connor was easily the worst. But that was only the case if Bohannon was already playing. As it is right now, it would obviously be Joe T coming off the bench. I'm excited as hell at the idea of Nunge subbing for Garza and Joe T subbing in at PG. If Patrick can get healthy and play close to his recruiting ranking, he will be a great wing sub. If not, we have 4 options at freshmen who can hopefully be really good.

Got it. I was too focused on what I thought was a big criticism of Conner. I think he brings a lot to the table and could be that key depth/energy guy next year if all goes well.

Garza , Weezy and I guess Nunge
Nunge over Connor might happen but I doubt it. I think he's a better player than Connor maybe, but the team is probably better with Connor at the 4. Nunge was starting to look good when he got hurt tho so who knows what he'll look like next year.

Nunge over Connor might happen but I doubt it. I think he's a better player than Connor maybe, but the team is probably better with Connor at the 4. Nunge was starting to look good when he got hurt tho so who knows what he'll look like next year.
Can’t play that small of a lineup in our conference . Garza will need help down low defending and rebounding . Nunge by default even though I’m not a fan

Latest posts