The 'USA Today' college staff Bowl picks

DeanMarshall

So, I pick up the College FB issue, by USA Today of all bowls, (partly because the one I bought has a nice picture of Pat Angerer crushing a Wisconsin back)..........and start to analyze what these guys wrote about the Orange Bowl, before it was played.

These clowns really don't know squat about College Football was my discovery.

1) Out of 8 'staff' at USA today, 2 of 8 picked Iowa to win the Orange Bowl. 2 of 8. Also, these clowns all picked TCU to beat Boise St. Right away, I'm smarter as I picked IOWA and Boise. Proof again that the national media, really has NO CLUE about the Iowa Hawkeye football program.

2) This one torqued me off a bit. In their analysis of Iowa vs the Yellowjackets, they gave the 'EDGE' in coaching to Ga Tech? WHAT?
While Paul is a nice coach, his little option against a good defense looked boring, archaic and impotent.
Kirk Ferentz and the staff at Iowa coach circles around the 'yellowjackets' and that was proven on Tuesday night.

And the fishhacks at USA Today supposedly do college football for a living?

HA!

It was not unreasonable to say that Georgia Tech had a chance to win the game, nor is it unreasonable to say that Paul Johnson is a great coach. Just picking GT over Iowa does not mean the person in question hates Iowa, nor does it make them an idiot. It just makes them wrong in hindsight.

It was not unreasonable to say that Georgia Tech had a chance to win the game, nor is it unreasonable to say that Paul Johnson is a great coach. Just picking GT over Iowa does not mean the person in question hates Iowa, nor does it make them an idiot. It just makes them wrong in hindsight.

The BOWL pick ems aren't for 'had a chance to win', it is for WHO IS GOING TO WIN. In case you missed the Game on Tuesday, IOWA kicked tail. It is Disrespectful to the WINNING team, so I'm pointing out that IOWA DESERVES MORE RESPECT. And also just pointing out how silly they now look, considering that they are supposed to be 'authorities' on College football. This will allow you, Ghost, to read with more skepticism, instead of just blindly believing the mainstream stuff.

:D

The BOWL pick ems aren't for 'had a chance to win', it is for WHO IS GOING TO WIN. In case you missed the Game on Tuesday, IOWA kicked tail. It is Disrespectful to the WINNING team, so I'm pointing out that IOWA DESERVES MORE RESPECT. And also just pointing out how silly they now look, considering that they are supposed to be 'authorities' on College football. This will allow you, Ghost, to read with more skepticism, instead of just blindly believing the mainstream stuff.

:D

Picking against a team is not disrespecting the team. Is it possible to only respect one team in any matchup? No. You can respect both teams, but someone has to win.

They thought GT would win. Big deal. That doesn't mean they hate Iowa, it just means they thought GT was better. GT is a great team, and it was not unreasonable to expect they could win that game.

And you want to point out how silly they look? They don't claim to be psychics. They probably pick a bunch of games wrong. I bet you picked soem games wrong Ever. It is very clever of you to come in here and brag about the two predicitions you got right. If you are so great, why didn't you put up all of your predicitions before the games, not after the fact?

Clearly, your game picking prowess is crushing and dominant. Out of curiosity, what were some other picks for the bowl season you made? Were any of your picks incorrect, you genius, you?

TCU over Boise was a good pick.

Picking college football is a total crapshoot and since you pick two games correct over another person does not make you "smarter." Did it ever occur to you that these guys haven't seen and gotten to break down EVERY Iowa game this year like you have? They have so many other games to break down there's almost no way that they can pay close attention to all of Iowa's games during the regular season and no all the details of the team. Sure, they've seen the primetime games and highlights, but other than that I can see why anybody would pick against Iowa in any game. So it's not surprising that the national media doesn't know "anything about the Iowa football program" despite having 120 plus other programs to be able to know something about.

Why didn't you go into broadcasting since your picks and analysis are so good? Maybe if you sent in a copy of your picks this bowl season to USA today they would hire you on the spot since you blew their guys out of the water on games where you've had the fortune to see the team play week in and week out and make a completely random guess and get it right?

So, I pick up the College FB issue, by USA Today of all bowls, (partly because the one I bought has a nice picture of Pat Angerer crushing a Wisconsin back)..........and start to analyze what these guys wrote about the Orange Bowl, before it was played.

1) Out of 8 'staff' at USA today, 2 of 8 picked Iowa to win the Orange Bowl. 2 of 8. Also, these clowns all picked TCU to beat Boise St. Right away, I'm smarter as I picked IOWA and Boise. Proof again that the national media, really has NO CLUE about the Iowa Hawkeye football program.

2) This one torqued me off a bit. In their analysis of Iowa vs the Yellowjackets, they gave the 'EDGE' in coaching to Ga Tech? WHAT?
While Paul is a nice coach, his little option against a good defense looked boring, archaic and impotent.
Kirk Ferentz and the staff at Iowa coach circles around the 'yellowjackets' and that was proven on Tuesday night.

HA!

You're an Iowa fan, of course you picked Iowa to win.

HA!

Regardless of moniker, this is easily the worst post you have ever made.

I picked up this rag when I was at the airport just because it had Angerer on the cover. The one thing that did stand out to me was their coaching breakdown.

Coaching: Geogia Tech's Paul Johnson is 20-6 in two seasons and won two ACC coach of the year awards since taking over in Atlanta. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz is in his 11th season in Iowa City. This is the Hawkeyes second BCS appearance. Edge: Georgia Tech

Really? They should have taken into consideration that we had a month to prepare.;)

Vegas picked GT to win the game as well. Are those people idiots?

The answer to this is "no", they certainly are not. That's what was so baffling to me about this game. Of course the line is set to get equal distributions of money on each side so the fact that GT was favored doesn't necessarily mean Vegas believed they would win...just that they believed this was the number to get equal pay. The funny thing is, the spread moved from around 3 all the way to 6 the day of the game. This means people were betting on GT.

I'm not trying to hi-jack this post...I guess more, I'm going along with the original poster. I felt very confident about this game from the time it was scheduled. I kept scratching my head thinking, "am I this big of a homer?" and I certainly didn't want to jinx us, but this seemed to be a perfect match up and I'm still very surprised more national talking heads and even gamblers didn't see it this way. I think it has a lot to do with the constant bashing the Big 10 gets. I don't know, but it is perplexing.

Clearly, your game picking prowess is crushing and dominant. Out of curiosity, what were some other picks for the bowl season you made? Were any of your picks incorrect, you genius, you?

TCU over Boise was a good pick.

My Boise St over TCU pick though.............that was a GREAT PICK. And I strive to be great, not 'just' good.

:)

I picked up this rag when I was at the airport just because it had Angerer on the cover. The one thing that did stand out to me was their coaching breakdown.

Coaching: Geogia Tech's Paul Johnson is 20-6 in two seasons and won two ACC coach of the year awards since taking over in Atlanta. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz is in his 11th season in Iowa City. This is the Hawkeyes second BCS appearance. Edge: Georgia Tech

Really? They should have taken into consideration that we had a month to prepare.;)

Eddy: Yes, I took issue with that too, in my original post. The Coaching Staff, at Iowa is as good as any staff in the country. And Kirk Ferentz is easily in the Top 5 coaches in all of America. USA ! USA USA USA! :)

My Boise St over TCU pick though.............that was a GREAT PICK. And I strive to be great, not 'just' good.

:)

dog2derp.jpeg

...nor is it unreasonable to say that Paul Johnson is a great coach. Just picking GT over Iowa does not mean the person in question hates Iowa, nor does it make them an idiot. It just makes them wrong in hindsight.

Unreasonable to say that Paul Johnson is a great coach? No. Saying Paul Johnson is a better coach than Kirk Ferentz (which in essence giving the coaching edge says)? I'd say "that makes them an idiot".

Unreasonable to say that Paul Johnson is a great coach? No. Saying Paul Johnson is a better coach than Kirk Ferentz (which in essence giving the coaching edge says)? I'd say "that makes them an idiot".

I don't think it is. They are both great coaches. Paul Johnson has done nothing but win since he has been at GT, and has flown higher at GT in two seasons than Chan Galey did the previous 6. He turned around Navy almost immediately. He has a higher career winning percentage than Ferentz.

Again, I am not saying he is better, but I am saying that I would listen to an argument, and not dismiss it out of hand.

Vegas picked GT to win the game as well. Are those people idiots?

I wouldn't say Vegas picked GT to win the game. I'd say Vegas thought bettors would pick GT to win the game and do so by 5 or more points. I haven't looked but I'm sure the majority of the money was on GT to win and to cover the 4 or 5 points so I'm sure Vegas was thrilled when Iowa won.

I don't think it is. They are both great coaches. Paul Johnson has done nothing but win since he has been at GT, and has flown higher at GT in two seasons than Chan Galey did the previous 6. He turned around Navy almost immediately. He has a higher career winning percentage than Ferentz.

Fair enough, but when it came to x's vs. o's in the matchup of Norm Parker vs. Paul Johnson Norm's defense b*tch slapped Paul's triple option.

Last edited:
EverHawk, I don't remember a post from you BEFORE the bowl season began that listed your predictions for each bowl game.

It's pretty easy to come to a message board and make fun of those people who actually did make their predictions public (in a newspaper for thousands to see, no less...with their real names attached to the picks, and not some anonymous nickname) and missed a few games. It's equally easy to brag about a couple of games that you predicted correctly, especially when there's no evidence that you actually made said predictions in the first place.

So 6 of 8 people were wrong about the Orange Bowl. So what? GT was a 4-6 point favorite by the bookies. Just enjoy the Hawkeye victory without rubbing a few people's noses in it that felt Iowa would lose.

Latest posts