The truth about CJ injury and the silver lining

echo44

Being in the health care industry I thought I would provide some insight into possible injury. What is not being shared with us is the exact injury CJ has, In other words which bone is involved and what grade stress reaction. This makes a big difference in prognosis. Certain bones heal faster and other are more prone to long term complications if not allowed to fully heal. This would include internal fixation( plates and screws). The general way these types of injuries are handled is the patient is immobilized (hence boot he is wearing) until all pain has resolved. Once the patient is pain free a certain amount of time is required to rehab. I researched this in some cases the aprox. amount of time until player can resume sport can be up to 19 weeks! So when they say CJ is day to day this can mean either two things. one possibility is the injury is very mild (grade1) and involves a bone that usually heals very fast. The other possibility is they do not want to give up any info to opposing teams on how to prepare for us and his injury is more severe. If teams don't know whether or not he is going to play or not they have to prepare for the possibility hence more prep work the opponent has to do rather than focus on a simpler game plan that doesn't involve CJ. My total guess is he will be out a minimum of 2-4 weeks and possibly if the injury is a higher grade the rest of the season. Remember if he doesn't rehab appropriately this can become a much more significant long term problem.

Ok and now for the silver lining. It will still be a lot of fun to watch this team play! They have a lot more grit than teams in the past. tousannt is going to have to put on his big boy pants real quickly and this will develop him much faster as he will have much more playing time. JT seems like the kind of player that will not accept loosing or being dominated. Connor also is going to have to step up his game and this can only help us in the future. I doubt weiskamp will go pro so he will be back next year. Garza could go either way. I am guessing he will stay as every year he gets better improving his value. He seems to be a durable play that doesn't suffer frequently from injuries. So for him waiting another year to go pro will probably only increase his worth.

My advice is to sit back this season and enjoy the show without high expectations. Enjoy watching our younger players get better. If we have some luck we may even make a tournament. Next year is shaping up to be really interesting.

Also its amazing how fast every one wants to start spewing garbage like "fran can't coach" "same old Iowa folding"
These people have know idea how physical and challenging the big ten basketball can be. Even at Penn State Iowa seemed tired. It is no surprise!! With the injuries comes longer playing times for others in an already brutal season. If anything Iowa has played very strong given the adversities!!! These whiners obviously have never played basketball. The sport wears on your body. I remember how much better I played after getting a week off. During daily practice and games a few times a week your legs never recover. You are always playing with pain. When there is not enough rest the first thing that you loose is your long distance shooting. Is any one really surprised Iowa shot the ball poorly last night from 3? That is always the first casualty of tired legs. The second casualty is D. Yes Iowa D looked subpar last night. I believe its just fatigue. So lighten up expect a loss every game now and just enjoy the player development and surprise victories!

Last edited:
They were all gassed last night. Kriener noticeably several times. Joe, Connor and Luka look like they could have played another game...but you could also see they weren't as effective. NU stacked the box and said, beat us from the outside with out your 2 best shooters. If Joe W does what he normally does, Iowa wins last night comfortably. He had a bad night and the bench is too depleted to do much about it. Tired legs is a real thing in hoops. I can tell you that Joe T doesn't appear to have them. He's getting some great experience. The season is "slipping" away as Nike mentioned in another post. I no doubt agree with that, but I still have hope until there isn't any...mostly because of how good the team was when they had more pieces.

One of those years where they can play a lot together, try to get some kind of tourney bid, gain experience, and then come out on top next year.

Two early leavers from the program, JBo and Nunge out, some other injuries, that is hard to overcome at Iowa.

Being in the health care industry I thought I would provide some insight into possible injury. What is not being shared with us is the exact injury CJ has, In other words which bone is involved and what grade stress reaction. This makes a big difference in prognosis. Certain bones heal faster and other are more prone to long term complications if not allowed to fully heal. This would include internal fixation( plates and screws). The general way these types of injuries are handled is the patient is immobilized (hence boot he is wearing) until all pain has resolved. Once the patient is pain free a certain amount of time is required to rehab. I researched this in some cases the aprox. amount of time until player can resume sport can be up to 19 weeks! So when they say CJ is day to day this can mean either two things. one possibility is the injury is very mild (grade1) and involves a bone that usually heals very fast. The other possibility is they do not want to give up any info to opposing teams on how to prepare for us and his injury is more severe. If teams don't know whether or not he is going to play or not they have to prepare for the possibility hence more prep work the opponent has to do rather than focus on a simpler game plan that doesn't involve CJ. My total guess is he will be out a minimum of 2-4 weeks and possibly if the injury is a higher grade the rest of the season. Remember if he doesn't rehab appropriately this can become a much more significant long term problem.

Ok and now for the silver lining. It will still be a lot of fun to watch this team play! They have a lot more grit than teams in the past. tousannt is going to have to put on his big boy pants real quickly and this will develop him much faster as he will have much more playing time. JT seems like the kind of player that will not accept loosing or being dominated. Connor also is going to have to step up his game and this can only help us in the future. I doubt weiskamp will go pro so he will be back next year. Garza could go either way. I am guessing he will stay as every year he gets better improving his value. He seems to be a durable play that doesn't suffer frequently from injuries. So for him waiting another year to go pro will probably only increase his worth.

My advice is to sit back this season and enjoy the show without high expectations. Enjoy watching our younger players get better. If we have some luck we may even make a tournament. Next year is shaping up to be really interesting.

Also its amazing how fast every one wants to start spewing garbage like "fran can't coach" "same old Iowa folding"
These people have know idea how physical and challenging the big ten basketball can be. Even at Penn State Iowa seemed tired. It is no surprise!! With the injuries comes longer playing times for others in an already brutal season. If anything Iowa has played very strong given the adversities!!! These whiners obviously have never played basketball. The sport wears on your body. I remember how much better I played after getting a week off. During daily practice and games a few times a week your legs never recover. You are always playing with pain. When there is not enough rest the first thing that you loose is your long distance shooting. Is any one really surprised Iowa shot the ball poorly last night from 3? That is always the first casualty of tired legs. The second casualty is D. Yes Iowa D looked subpar last night. I believe its just fatigue. So lighten up expect a loss every game now and just enjoy the player development and surprise victories!

Thank you for the insight on the injury.

As Fran said last night, they're not going to push it. And they shouldn't.

They were all gassed last night. Kriener noticeably several times. Joe, Connor and Luka look like they could have played another game...but you could also see they weren't as effective. NU stacked the box and said, beat us from the outside with out your 2 best shooters. If Joe W does what he normally does, Iowa wins last night comfortably. He had a bad night and the bench is too depleted to do much about it. Tired legs is a real thing in hoops. I can tell you that Joe T doesn't appear to have them. He's getting some great experience. The season is "slipping" away as Nike mentioned in another post. I no doubt agree with that, but I still have hope until there isn't any...mostly because of how good the team was when they had more pieces.
1 for 10... He goes 4 for 10 instead we win which is more in his wheel house. Couple that with only going to the line 5 times or whatever it was and it was just such an out of character game for us. Granted shooting so many 3s and jumpers will lead to the lack of FTs too but still. I didn't think about this till this morning but does Nebraska still use those Addidas balls? Those have a different feel to them and for shooters Idc what people say that can be a factor. Is it MD that also uses em?

Very good post and I agree with a good degree of it. However, there are other teams that face the same setbacks and still find a way to prevail. In year 10 it is hard to keep giving the benefit of the doubt when the body of work shows us otherwise. I'm to the point where I'm hoping for the best but in reality likely know what is eventually coming. I think they are a 2nd round NCAA exit team next year if they keep their pieces all together and stay reasonably healthy. Which that was an average year for Mr. Davis, but I think is the peak for this coaching staff.

Last edited:
Very good post and I agree with a good degree of it. However, there are other teams that face the same setbacks and still find a way to prevail. In year 10 it is hard to keep giving the benefit of the doubt when the body of work shows us otherwise. I'm to the point where I'm hoping for the best but in reality likely know what is eventually coming. I think they are a 2nd round NCAA exit team next year if they keep their pieces all together and stay reasonably healthy. Which that was an average year for Mr. Davis, but I think is the peak for this coaching staff.

No team in the country can lose 4 of their top 8 or 9 guys and not miss a beat. Wasn't it a couple years ago where Wisconsin had two players get hurt and had a really bad season? Go through the Big 10 and take away the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th best player from each team and tell me which teams you think could still go .500 in the league this year. My guess is maybe Michigan State and that's it.

And a 2nd round exit wasn't an average year for Davis, it was what he did almost like clockwork 2 out of 3 years. Years 3 through 10 were remarkably similar for the 2 coaches with Davis having a very slight edge on tournament seeding.

No team in the country can lose 4 of their top 8 or 9 guys and not miss a beat. Wasn't it a couple years ago where Wisconsin had two players get hurt and had a really bad season? Go through the Big 10 and take away the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th best player from each team and tell me which teams you think could still go .500 in the league this year. My guess is maybe Michigan State and that's it.

And a 2nd round exit wasn't an average year for Davis, it was what he did almost like clockwork 2 out of 3 years. Years 3 through 10 were remarkably similar for the 2 coaches with Davis having a very slight edge on tournament seeding.
No question it will have an impact....injuries....but top teams can overcome it and that is where we want to be right? We are not and its year 10. And I disagree about Mr. Davis....all things considered....NCAAs where all but a given most years He did not need first 4 games to do it either.

No question it will have an impact....injuries....but top teams can overcome it and that is where we want to be right? We are not and its year 10. And I disagree about Mr. Davis....all things considered....NCAAs where all but a given most years He did not need first 4 games to do it either.

No top teams can't overcome what has happened to us this year. Losing 3 if your starting 5 fucks everyone's season. The only difference is how fucked. For instance, a fringe top 25 team like us becomes an NIT type team. The best team in the country probably drops to an 8 seed or so and loses in the second round. If that happens, they didn't overcome their injuries. Injuries destroyed the path they were on, just like it destroyed the path we were on. If the narrative now is that Fran sucks because we aren't a top 5 type team that can still make the tournament after losing 60% of his starting lineup, then I'd say that's a pretty good narrative for a coach to have.

And Davis made the tournament 2 out of every 3 years he was at iowa. Very similar to what Fran has done the last 7 years. And you have to admit, without injuries, Fran was going to make it this year and next almost for sure. That would be 6 of the last 8 years. Also who's to say Fran needed a play in game? Do they ever say which half of the teams who play in them would have made it anyway without the expanded field? If they didn't have play in games, there's a 50/50 chance we would have made it anyway.

No top teams can't overcome what has happened to us this year. Losing 3 if your starting 5 fucks everyone's season. The only difference is how fucked. For instance, a fringe top 25 team like us becomes an NIT type team. The best team in the country probably drops to an 8 seed or so and loses in the second round. If that happens, they didn't overcome their injuries. Injuries destroyed the path they were on, just like it destroyed the path we were on. If the narrative now is that Fran sucks because we aren't a top 5 type team that can still make the tournament after losing 60% of his starting lineup, then I'd say that's a pretty good narrative for a coach to have.

And Davis made the tournament 2 out of every 3 years he was at iowa. Very similar to what Fran has done the last 7 years. And you have to admit, without injuries, Fran was going to make it this year and next almost for sure. That would be 6 of the last 8 years. Also who's to say Fran needed a play in game? Do they ever say which half of the teams who play in them would have made it anyway without the expanded field? If they didn't have play in games, there's a 50/50 chance we would have made it anyway.

Bottom line, Year 10, no Sweet 16s, no conferences tittles. And, likely no NCAA sniff this year. I don't blame Fran for injuries, but I do think responsibility lies with this staff to put together complete rosters, which, even if the team was healthy, still had question marks because of overall recruiting. JBo is more of a two, that can play the one if he has to. No stud point guard and we have to rely on a young freshman, JT, to carry the load. No proven stud at the 4 position.....even if Tyler would have stuck around....which would have helped no question....he can't shoot. Moss was recruited to play here and at the end of the day he did not want to be a Hawk anymore. It is the coaches who recruit these players and it is their job to inspire them and keep them happy (within reason).

Then, again, if Tyler stuck around, would Garza be having the year is having this year? Or would coach have played Tyler more at the 5 (playing him out of position) and Garza's role would have been a bit diminished. That would have not surprised me a bit.

I would consider 2 out of every 3 years average for making the NCAAs (66% clip). Actually, that would be better than average of the good Dr. In 7 years (throwing this year in as well and making the educated guess they will not make it), in reality, Fran's teams have cleanly made the NCAA tournament (no play-in games, which I consider as purgatory between the NIT and NCAAs) 3 times. Under 500 chance of making the tournament in a given year. Not good. And Mr. Davis had made appearances in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 at Iowa (also an Elite 8 at another school prior to coming to Iowa).

Almost always seems like we are dangling a carrot on a stick with Fran at the helm. And, his peak, has been what Mr. Davis did most years when he was at Iowa.

Does not inspire a lot of confidence if you are attempting to build a championship team. Championship team, heck, this program is still trying to complete a year where the bowling ball does not spend a significant amount of time in the gutter.

Last edited:
1 for 10... He goes 4 for 10 instead we win which is more in his wheel house. Couple that with only going to the line 5 times or whatever it was and it was just such an out of character game for us. Granted shooting so many 3s and jumpers will lead to the lack of FTs too but still. I didn't think about this till this morning but does Nebraska still use those Addidas balls? Those have a different feel to them and for shooters Idc what people say that can be a factor. Is it MD that also uses em?

A couple of Hawks got slapped on their arms down low but no calls happened.

Bottom line, Year 10, no Sweet 16s, no conferences tittles. And, likely no NCAA sniff this year. I don't blame Fran for injuries, but I do think responsibility lies with this staff to put together complete rosters, which, even if the team was healthy, still had question marks because of overall recruiting. JBo is more of a two, that can play the one if he has to. No stud point guard and we have to rely on a young freshman, JT, to carry the load. No proven stud at the 4 position.....even if Tyler would have stuck around....which would have helped no question....he can't shoot. Moss was recruited to play here and at the end of the day he did not want to be a Hawk anymore. It is the coaches who recruit these players and it is their job to inspire them and keep them happy (within reason).

Then, again, if Tyler stuck around, would Garza be having the year is having this year? Or would coach have played Tyler more at the 5 (playing him out of position) and Garza's role would have been a bit diminished. That would have not surprised me a bit.

I would consider 2 out of every 3 years average for making the NCAAs (66% clip). Actually, that would be better than average of the good Dr. In 7 years (throwing this year in as well and making the educated guess they will not make it), in reality, Fran's teams have cleanly made the NCAA tournament (no play-in games, which I consider as purgatory between the NIT and NCAAs) 3 times. Under 500 chance of making the tournament in a given year. Not good. And Mr. Davis had made appearances in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 at Iowa (also an Elite 8 at another school prior to coming to Iowa).

Almost always seems like we are dangling a carrot on a stick with Fran at the helm. And, his peak, has been what Mr. Davis did most years when he was at Iowa.

Does not inspire a lot of confidence if you are attempting to build a championship team. Championship team, heck, this program is still trying to complete a year where the bowling ball does not spend a significant amount of time in the gutter.

You just said you don't blame him for this year, then went on a long rant blaming him for this year. Thia year he put together a top 25 roster. That's pretty darn good. But you're blaming him for not having 13 really good players and having players that have some holes in their game. Look around the country. That's every single team this year.

You keep bringing up Fran's past years. But this year he put together a team that was going to be somewhere between good and great. Next year he's in line to have a team that is somewhere between great and elite. What he is doing now trumps what he's done in the past and what he's doing now should have been pretty damn good without injuries. Hell if CJ comes back fast it could still be good.

And talk about twisting stats. Take away one of his tournament appearances and add in a year that hasn't happened yet? The bottom line is Fran did a great job of building a good team this year. A team that was fun as F to watch. Injuries got us. That really really sucks. But it doesn't change the job he did.

Anyone who doesn't recognize play in games as tournament appearances has to also recognize that the tournament is harder to make now because there are 2 less spots available.

In huge spots in the game too. Last night was like Michigan how they kept making huge shots every time we would make a run. The only difference is Michigan was good so it was understandable. Watching those dorks bury the shots them made over and over made me want to puke.

You just said you don't blame him for this year, then went on a long rant blaming him for this year. Thia year he put together a top 25 roster. That's pretty darn good. But you're blaming him for not having 13 really good players and having players that have some holes in their game. Look around the country. That's every single team this year.

You keep bringing up Fran's past years. But this year he put together a team that was going to be somewhere between good and great. Next year he's in line to have a team that is somewhere between great and elite. What he is doing now trumps what he's done in the past and what he's doing now should have been pretty damn good without injuries. Hell if CJ comes back fast it could still be good.

And talk about twisting stats. Take away one of his tournament appearances and add in a year that hasn't happened yet? The bottom line is Fran did a great job of building a good team this year. A team that was fun as F to watch. Injuries got us. That really really sucks. But it doesn't change the job he did.

I don't blame him for the injuries. Not his fault. But, I do blame him for his overall recruiting if you are you looking to build a championship squad and a team that can go to the Sweet 16 and beyond. Even if this team was healthy, I still picked it to fall short of even getting to the tournament. Then, they started to exceed expectations, so I threw them a bone and said they could possibly eek in. And, they most certainly were exceeding expectations. I WILL praise Fran for the development of Garza. Garza's development has impressed the shit out of me. That has been his best accomplishment this year by far.

Not going to question that. Not going to question their heart either. But, incomplete recruiting at key positions along with poorly coached fundamentals dooms them year in and year out under this staff.

We will not be an elite team, even if we get everyone back next year. 2nd round loss type team. Again, will gladly eat crow.

Looking at the body of work, I don't have faith in Fran. I can almost bet there will be another excuse next year and something else will happen. Carrot dangling on a string again. Again, will gladly eat crow.

Very nice

"My advice is to sit back this season and enjoy the show without high expectations. Enjoy watching our younger players get better. If we have some luck we may even make a tournament. Next year is shaping up to be really interesting."

This is sound advice for everyone

:cool:

Last edited:

Happened throughout the entire game

But the zebras made up for it by calling tiny touch fouls on the Hawks all night

Nebraska had one foul in the second haft past the 10 minute mark when they were coming at Luka like suicide bombers all night

gettyimages-724926-2.jpg

Well, he is Luka Garza, and you’re not.
He went from having JBo, JW, CJF and Nunge all on the floor that could space it for him to only JW and bunch of other guys who can't shoot that other teams don't remotely respect. Just listen to what the Nebraska players were saying after the game. That has to be frustrating.

Latest posts