The truth about CJ injury and the silver lining

Anyone who doesn't recognize play in games as tournament appearances has to also recognize that the tournament is harder to make now because there are 2 less spots available.

Aren't there 4 'play in' games now? :)

Very nice

My advice is to sit back this season and enjoy the show without high expectations. Enjoy watching our younger players get better. If we have some luck we may even make a tournament. Next year is shaping up to be really interesting.

This is sound advice for everyone

:cool:

I am also rooting for Iowa's 2020 recruits, Tony Perkins is in the running to become Indiana's Mr. Basketball. Arhon Ulis is putting together some nice games. And having 6' 8" twins who can shoot and block shots will help. Throw in Josh Ogundele and Iowa's practices are going to be really competitive next year.

I am also rooting for Iowa's 2020 recruits, Tony Perkins is in the running to become Indiana's Mr. Basketball. Arhon Ulis is putting together some nice games. And having 6' 8" twins who can shoot and block shots will help. Throw in Josh Ogundele and Iowa's practices are going to be really competitive next year.

There is a lot of athleticism and quickness coming on board at the guard positions

I also have high hopes for the Twins who have basketball savvy in their veins

:cool:

If I'm Luka Garza, I'm asking myself why I should get beat up inside by triple teams for the next month and lose a lot of games because my head coach recruited a bunch of dudes that can't carry my jockstrap.
I don't think Luka thinks about anything but getting better. He thinks about how he can help the team. I doubt he has a selfish none in his body. That's why Luka is becoming one of my favorite all time players.

No question it will have an impact....injuries....but top teams can overcome it and that is where we want to be right? We are not and its year 10. And I disagree about Mr. Davis....all things considered....NCAAs where all but a given most years He did not need first 4 games to do it either.

Davis and Fran are a lot more similar than people want to believe.

Davis without GR's recruits made the NCAA 6/10 years and had 1 Sweet 16
Fran without TL's mess has made the NCAA 4/7 years with 0 Sweet 16s

Both coaches stressed fast pace and appear to not care much for half court D. Fran has to make 2 of the next 3 tournaments and get to a Sweet 16 to match the mark made by Davis.

And next year he'll most likely be without JW and LG and who knows if Jordan will ever recover so he better start recruiting some shooters. Because unless Iowa is hitting 3s, their D isn't good enough to win against good opponents and the B1G is full of them.

And next year he'll most likely be without JW and LG and who knows if Jordan will ever recover so he better start recruiting some shooters. Because unless Iowa is hitting 3s, their D isn't good enough to win against good opponents and the B1G is full of them.

Wut. I didn't see where JW and LG had declared for their intentions to leave already.

Garza has probably peaked, but I wouldn't put it past him to get even better. JW has more to prove and has enough talent that he could be a first round pick after a high profile season. Maybe it's just me, but for an extra year of overseas or G League money, I'd probably rather have the memories of going out on a high note with all my friends. Also, with that there's a solid chance that even more money would come with the recognition of being on a high profile team that makes some noise in the tournament.

I appreciate optimism at this point of the season, especially with our current injured reserve. Luka Garza is fun to watch and as always, I will watch every game to help pass the midwestern winter. Next year will be really fun. Especially because Luka and JW are going nowhere!

Over the last decade and more I have seen posts on here predicting Iowa players going to the pros. How hast that worked out? My question if anyone has access to the info is, which former Iowa college basketball player the last decade has made the most pro money? I believe there is more money to be made over seas. My prediction for top earner would be Aaron White. Playing the G League game to be the 12th on an NBA bench can't be as profitable as playing in Europe or wherever.

So, with most of the kids being drafted are 18 to 19 years old and the influx of Euro and African players coming in makes it impossible for players like Luka and JW to have a chance at making a roster. Now, they will both I predict get G league shots but I doubt they stick.

Wut. I didn't see where JW and LG had declared for their intentions to leave already.

Garza has probably peaked, but I wouldn't put it past him to get even better. JW has more to prove and has enough talent that he could be a first round pick after a high profile season. Maybe it's just me, but for an extra year of overseas or G League money, I'd probably rather have the memories of going out on a high note with all my friends. Also, with that there's a solid chance that even more money would come with the recognition of being on a high profile team that makes some noise in the tournament.

Without injuries this year (and possibly still with them) I would bet Fran beats Davis and makes it 7 out of 10 with at least one sweet 16. If CJ stays out for long, he will probably tie Davis with 6 of 10. Although Davis had a slightly better seed average. But that could change too iver the next 3 years.

Its absolutely presumptions on my part because LG & JW haven't declared their intentions. But so are the fans that think they're going to finish their eligibility at Iowa.

They both have pro futures. Somebody, somewhere will pay them to play. And JW already tried to go pro. And if they want a shot at the NBA they're better off trying to get into the G League or in a good overseas league than staying in college.

Its absolutely presumptions on my part because LG & JW haven't declared their intentions. But so are the fans that think they're going to finish their eligibility at Iowa.

They both have pro futures. Somebody, somewhere will pay them to play. And JW already tried to go pro. And if they want a shot at the NBA they're better off trying to get into the G League or in a good overseas league than staying in college.

I think it's a misconception that people have about the new rules surrounding the NBA evaluation process. If you're a player that has any desire to play professionally after college, you'd be dumb not to enter the evaluation pool every year. You get objective outside feedback on your game and areas to improve as well as an honest projection of where you might land if you do decide to go pro vs where you could end up if you improved those deficiencies.

The goal being to obtain the feedback so you know what to work on, not to immediately go pro. And that's what JW, Moss, and Cook did and what JW and Garza should do this year. I mean heck, if I'm CJF or Toussaint or even Connor and someone will give me a chance to be evaluated at the end of the season, I'm taking it knowing full well I have a long way to go.

The reasons to stay are numerous but the reason to go is singular, money. And for JW or LG after this year, that money isn't likely to be life changing yet. An extra $100k at max that is certain to be on the table next year too. Basketball is not a sport like football where you take your money as soon as you can and get out while your head and limbs are intact. You can play for a long time without breaking down with many chances to make it. There's also a much more select group making the big money so unless you're really unhappy with your college team or you are good enough to make the big money, it makes a lot of sense to stay. Especially when you're a dominant player at the college level and have the chance to be a legend by sticking around for another year. Final point, they're both business majors and their careers after basketball probably wouldn't be hurt by finishing their degrees and having a Sweet 16 or Final 4 run under their belts next year.

So I guess I just really strongly disagree with your assertion that they're better off getting into the G League or playing overseas ASAP.

Stop this torture! I've been looking to 2019-2020 as "the 2nd weekend" since the beginning of the 2017 season. I was counting on TC still being here, a healthy Jo-Bo and, of course, primarily basing it on Garza and Jo-Weis.

Already missing 2 of 4. Regained some hope in Jo-Bo's redshirt for next year. Now you're speculating my 2 key guys are gonna be gone!

Damnit, X. If G and W go semi-pro, not only are we falling short this year, next year will absolutely suck!:(

Shut him down. Feet are tricky. You bring him back to reinjure that too early at all and his whole career could be shot. That needs to be totally healed before you put him back out there period.

I partially agree, but if he is able to come back after a couple weeks of rest, this team has just enough juice that it could still make the tournament. I say this with the context that CJF has already taken a redshirt and that if it really is a stress reaction, they can be healed in 2-4 weeks and he's already been shut down for 5 days. If he progresses well, that could mean a return by the Rutgers game and at least a shot at 8** more wins in the B1G if they really dig in. So if they can pick up a win against NW without him next week, this team's not done yet***.

**This is obviously not a foregone conclusion as it would mean going 8-1 against Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Indiana, with 2 each against Purdue and Illinois.

***If he does need the 4+ weeks it would still be possible, but the team would need to find ways to get wins against Rutgers and Illinois without him then have no margin for error and maybe require a win against OSU or PSU. Any extra losses and we'll be relying on a strong showing in the BTT.

I partially agree, but if he is able to come back after a couple weeks of rest, this team has just enough juice that it could still make the tournament. I say this with the context that CJF has already taken a redshirt and that if it really is a stress reaction, they can be healed in 2-4 weeks and he's already been shut down for 5 days. If he progresses well, that could mean a return by the Rutgers game and at least a shot at 8** more wins in the B1G if they really dig in. So if they can pick up a win against NW without him next week, this team's not done yet***.

**This is obviously not a foregone conclusion as it would mean going 8-1 against Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Indiana, with 2 each against Purdue and Illinois.

***If he does need the 4+ weeks it would still be possible, but the team would need to find ways to get wins against Rutgers and Illinois without him then have no margin for error and maybe require a win against OSU or PSU. Any extra losses and we'll be relying on a strong showing in the BTT.

Now I feel like a tool for implying we couldn't win without CJF. Go Hawks!

Now I feel like a tool for implying we couldn't win without CJF. Go Hawks!

We definitely can't win as much without CJ. But we can win some. With this much parity, its gunna be a lot of random luck on running into teams having an off night. We got one today. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and keep running into teams that have bad nights. Iowa basketball is due for some luck.

Bottom line, Year 10, no Sweet 16s, no conferences tittles. And, likely no NCAA sniff this year. I don't blame Fran for injuries, but I do think responsibility lies with this staff to put together complete rosters, which, even if the team was healthy, still had question marks because of overall recruiting. JBo is more of a two, that can play the one if he has to. No stud point guard and we have to rely on a young freshman, JT, to carry the load. No proven stud at the 4 position.....even if Tyler would have stuck around....which would have helped no question....he can't shoot. Moss was recruited to play here and at the end of the day he did not want to be a Hawk anymore. It is the coaches who recruit these players and it is their job to inspire them and keep them happy (within reason).

Then, again, if Tyler stuck around, would Garza be having the year is having this year? Or would coach have played Tyler more at the 5 (playing him out of position) and Garza's role would have been a bit diminished. That would have not surprised me a bit.

I would consider 2 out of every 3 years average for making the NCAAs (66% clip). Actually, that would be better than average of the good Dr. In 7 years (throwing this year in as well and making the educated guess they will not make it), in reality, Fran's teams have cleanly made the NCAA tournament (no play-in games, which I consider as purgatory between the NIT and NCAAs) 3 times. Under 500 chance of making the tournament in a given year. Not good. And Mr. Davis had made appearances in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 at Iowa (also an Elite 8 at another school prior to coming to Iowa).

Almost always seems like we are dangling a carrot on a stick with Fran at the helm. And, his peak, has been what Mr. Davis did most years when he was at Iowa.

Does not inspire a lot of confidence if you are attempting to build a championship team. Championship team, heck, this program is still trying to complete a year where the bowling ball does not spend a significant amount of time in the gutter.

did yuh see where we were after the previous regimes? the fact he's built a team that can be competent after all they've lost, let alone go get huge wins, is a testament to the staff. Remember our gym got to a point where carver was pretty much empty for a couple years there. its hard to recruit to a cold place in the dead of winter, but then add to it the athletes you bring in to recruit see a gym fairly empty, what he's done in recruiting the last few years is pretty impressive. and the more talent that any coach gets in the cupboard obviously gives you a chance to produce better results on the court. it took a couple years to start getting in some guys at certain positions, but the groundwork was laid. it may have taken a couple extra years to get there, but the program is in the best shape its been in, in a long time. To complain about a lack of sweet 16's, this year especially, seems odd to me. now 3-4 years from now if were in the same places, muddling just to get to the tourney, just hoping to make it there with no hope of doing damage, then it seems more legit.

did yuh see where we were after the previous regimes? the fact he's built a team that can be competent after all they've lost, let alone go get huge wins, is a testament to the staff. Remember our gym got to a point where carver was pretty much empty for a couple years there. its hard to recruit to a cold place in the dead of winter, but then add to it the athletes you bring in to recruit see a gym fairly empty, what he's done in recruiting the last few years is pretty impressive. and the more talent that any coach gets in the cupboard obviously gives you a chance to produce better results on the court. it took a couple years to start getting in some guys at certain positions, but the groundwork was laid. it may have taken a couple extra years to get there, but the program is in the best shape its been in, in a long time. To complain about a lack of sweet 16's, this year especially, seems odd to me. now 3-4 years from now if were in the same places, muddling just to get to the tourney, just hoping to make it there with no hope of doing damage, then it seems more legit.

Oh I have been around awhile.....I know the program slipped considerably during the Alfraud/Lackluster years compared to the coaches before them. I give credit to Fran for getting the program out of the ground, but that only lasts so long. You can also get things turned around quicker in basketball compared to other sports. Get a key player or two (I mean blue-chip exceptionally good) and there you go.

Problem for Fran is he has not been able to recruit top end guards and I also think it has not helped typically recruiting undersized/skilled big men (Garza nonwithstanding and a few others). He has had a problem of also getting a lot of tweener players and having players play out of position.

2nd problem is it has been 10 years and the peak has been making the tournament (3 times clearly in, no play in BS) and out in the 2nd round. Certainly better than Lick, slightly better than Alford, not consistently in the same zip code as the coaches before them (nor with the same level of success or successes that go beyond that).

Fran's teams show flashes of getting there, only to fizzle out. It is always something....always next season, always "3-4 years from now" etc.

We keep kicking the can down the road with the basketball program.

I think if Fran had more balanced recruiting at positions 1 through 5 in his 10 years, maybe we would have seen more consistent play.

Doesn't it seem like it takes for us to have a hot night for his teams to win (especially in conference) and when that is not happening we don't make up for it in other areas? That is how we can take out Maryland one night and lose to trash like Nebraska on another.

Problem with Fran's system is he needs more than 2 guys, he needs 5 that he can rely on and get support from the others.

Right now this team has 2 guys (true injuries are not helping) and if they are not on, the other guys generally are not good enough to pick up the slack. That is why, IMHO, besides the Big Ten being such a tough conference (especially on the road), it going to still be extremely challenging to get to the Big Dance. They are not out of it, but they are going to need to be hitting on all cylinders in a lot of their remaining conference games.

Though, they played a heck of game against Maryland. It was a very good bounce back game. If they could only do that night in and night out. With more balance recruiting (and defensive fundamental xs and os tweaks), good luck/heath.... I have no question we could be there.

I do think next year he has an NCAA tourney team if gets all the pieces back and they stay reasonably healthy. The X factor will be coaching if they get to the Sweet 16 and beyond. That to me is dicey at this point.

Last edited:

Latest posts