The Superbowl's Haltime Show.

How bad will the Superbowl Halftime Show be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did anyone else notice the one dancer's leg during "Music"? It spun like a windmill?!? It was right before the dude on the elastic tightrope.

Did anyone else notice the one dancer's leg during "Music"? It spun like a windmill?!? It was right before the dude on the elastic tightrope.

Yes, and that was the most entertaining part of the show. The guy on the tightrope made some moves that left me cringing.

The tightrope act was easily the most entertaining. The lip syncing is getting old. If you can't sign then get off the stage.

Madonna looked OK and can still move for 53, which in actuality ain't that old. But I thought that was just an atrocious show. All glam and glitter, little entertainment. I was bored as was Mrs. Tweeter, the music teacher and professional musician. Largely lip-sync'ed crap, bookended by B-list guest musicians. The show finished and we both looked at each other and said "That's it?" Bridgestone ought to ask for their money back.Meanwhile, Bridgestone and the NFL ought to bring back Bruce Springsteen to reprise the best Super Bowl half-time show ever. (Not a Springsteen fan and do not have any of his music on my iPod, but I thought this was an outstanding performance and just right for the Super Bowl.) Take a listen to the clip below and turn your speakers
up to 11.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R06FMoT-hkk]Super Bowl Halftime Show 2009 -
YouTube[/ame]

+1000 for the Boss.

The tightrope act was easily the most entertaining. The lip syncing is getting old. If you can't sign then get off the stage.

I was thinking the same thing.. I looked at my wife and asked her "What's the over/under on whether she is actually singing that?" It sounded like the whole thing was being played off some pre-recorded performance.

And is it just me (and I confess to not always watching the half-time show at the SB so maybe I've missed some good stuff) but why do they keep going for the 80's has-beens for the performances.. U2, Springstein, Madonna, etc. Have they gotten any artists to perform who is big TODAY?

Have they gotten any artists to perform who is big TODAY?

Well, if you hate lip syncing then very few popular artists from today would do any better. Like I said in another post about music today, the artists need all sorts of electronic equipment to help them even sing in pitch, let alone sing while trying to dance. And I did see where Madonna was recovering from a hammy, not that I am trying to defend her by any means. I'm just cutting her a little slack.

And the ones who wouldn't lip sync are probably not the most popular today...unless MAYBE someone like OkGo, but even they aren't mainstream enough for all tastes. That's really the dilemma, is getting an act that would appeal to the majority of fans at the game and watching at home. How about something more creative such as Blue Man Group or something?

I was thinking the same thing.. I looked at my wife and asked her "What's the over/under on whether she is actually singing that?" It sounded like the whole thing was being played off some pre-recorded performance.

And is it just me (and I confess to not always watching the half-time show at the SB so maybe I've missed some good stuff) but why do they keep going for the 80's has-beens for the performances.. U2, Springstein, Madonna, etc. Have they gotten any artists to perform who is big TODAY?

But Madonna still draws attention and these 80/90s stars must appeal to the audience. At my house the half time got the most people watching as even my wife and both daughters stopped what they were doing to watch the show.

BTW, here is a video of the crazy leg. Watch upper right. Not the best quality, but at least I found something.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URKxSI-ndUQ]VID-20120205-00009 - YouTube[/ame]

I was thinking the same thing.. I looked at my wife and asked her "What's the over/under on whether she is actually singing that?" It sounded like the whole thing was being played off some pre-recorded performance. And is it just me (and I confess to not always watching the half-time show at the SB so maybe I've missed some good stuff) but why do they keep going for the 80's has-beens for the performances.. U2, Springstein, Madonna, etc. Have they gotten
any artists to perform who is big TODAY?

last year was supposed to be on that line of thinking with the Black Eyed Peas and failed. In all fairness,there will always be some part of the audience that will not be fully satisfied with whomever they bring on. I think they have grabbed the previous acts mostly based on then bringing the highest grossing touring acts from prior years. You can go to pollstar.com to see what has mass appeal.

In reality, it is a halftime act or side show anyways, so it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Top performers in recent history for me were U2, Tom Petty, and The Boss in that order. I'm not a huge U2 fan by any means but there halftime performance was the best I've ever seen.

Why can't they focus more on making the shows more concert-like? I know I know, choreograph the F*** out of it so it will appeal more to sheep.

Unfortunately, the people responsible for the halftime show are not necessarily trying to appeal to football fans, but are pandering to the millions of people for whom this game is the one football game they watch all year.

Why can't they focus more on making the shows more concert-like? I know I know, choreograph the F*** out of it so it will appeal more to sheep.

I don't think what you're asking for is actually possible. Arena venues have always been about showmanship and choreography. In an arena you have to utilize all of the smoke and mirrors that you have available. Arena acoustics are inherently atrocious, and they try to make the show as visually entertaining as possible because the audience members are such widely varied positions; TV, front row, nosebleeds etc.

If you are searching for authenticity find a venue that only seats up to 1000 people.

I actually thought the halftime show this year was fantastic. One of the best I've ever seen. It clearly wasn't catered towards the NFL's base demographic, but I think thats fine. I think a lot of people get really tired of the onslaught of GoDaddy commercials and American Jingoism that makes up 99% of non-playtime. Madonna's performance was delightfully over the top, and a nice change of pace for people who aren't interested in watching washed-up country/rock stars singing military love ballads.

I don't think what you're asking for is actually possible. Arena venues have always been about showmanship and choreography. In an arena you have to utilize all of the smoke and mirrors that you have available. Arena acoustics are inherently atrocious, and they try to make the show as visually entertaining as possible because the audience members are such widely varied positions; TV, front row, nosebleeds etc.

If you are searching for authenticity find a venue that only seats up to 1000 people.

I actually thought the halftime show this year was fantastic. One of the best I've ever seen. It clearly wasn't catered towards the NFL's base demographic, but I think thats fine. I think a lot of people get really tired of the onslaught of GoDaddy commercials and American Jingoism that makes up 99% of non-playtime. Madonna's performance was delightfully over the top, and a nice change of pace for people who aren't interested in watching washed-up country/rock stars singing military love ballads.

Are you suggesting the 1% needs to occupy halftime? :)

The thing that surprises me is that they ought to know most of their viewers are men. Yes, Madonna may be meant to appeal to a male audience but for guys that are her age. I feel like Madonna is more appealing to women than guys. Why not just stick with performers like The Who, U2, and BS. I'm 20 and absolutely hated the Black Eyed Peas last year. They aren't a group meant for live entertainment. That is why they bring back bands from the 70s 80s 90s. They don't bring in any new artists because they don't have that ability to bring down the house.

Latest posts