The Spectacular Melsahn

I don't know that Fran was talking about his play as much this spring as he was talking about his attitude being spectacular. The way the article is put together and the quotes that they used were more about how he's matured and become a leader this spring. Not so much about how he's improved ball-handling, shooting, or any specific part of his game (which I'm sure he has.) So for anyone that is saying Fran is hyperbolic you might want to go back and actually read the article.

I don't know that Fran was talking about his play as much this spring as he was talking about his attitude being spectacular. The way the article is put together and the quotes that they used were more about how he's matured and become a leader this spring. Not so much about how he's improved ball-handling, shooting, or any specific part of his game (which I'm sure he has.) So for anyone that is saying Fran is hyperbolic you might want to go back and actually read the article.

reading comprehension = success

Attitude is really everything....I believe thats been the major fulcrum of our gridiron issues!

Alford hyped. Fran is on the level with what he says. If you think Fran is over-hyping please give examples.

WTF are you talking about? I linked an article. Others are talking about hyperbole which I disagree with. I pointed out that quote because Duff got some slack for saying Mel could leave for the NBA early.

mel is starting caliber player but he wont start at the 5 unless mccabe and/or woodbury cant. he will be the 6th man on the team and probably be the 4 or 5th leading scorer. he will play the 4 and 5 spots but is more effective at the 4. he could start at the 4 but that means beating out white and i dont see that happening. white would have to really grow in his game to move to the 3 so i dont see it. woodbury will start at the 5 for a good amount of the season but i still see him playing 15 min max on average. mel can bring a great spark off the bench as a rebounder and shot blocker and i wouldnt be surprised if he was the top 6th man in the conference.

It doesn't really matter who starts the game, its about who finishes it. I would be willing to bet that in a close game, down the stretch we will see a lineup of gesell/clemmons, ogelsby, marble, white, and basabe.

He said something like Ogelsby was the purest shooter he has seen and Fran had recruited Jimmer. The hyperbole about Brommer and Archie in the off-season actually had people believing their eyes were lying to them. What about the Eric May talk?

Fran blows smoke up his player's butts. I don't fault him for it. It's really neither here nor there, but he does.

Case in point: Mel is a 6-7 forward with no perimeter game and Fran is talking NBA.

Last edited:
Depth is a beautiful thing.

With a roster full of good players... the cream will rise to the top. The competition for playing time will make everybody better.

There will be more that a few surprises next season.

I like the fact that Fran takes the high road with his players. Mel is by far the teams best shot blocker, he and Woody could give the Hawks much needed defense around the rim next season. If Mel succeeds hopefully Fran can continue to recruit the New York area and bring in some potential NBA players. Go Hawks

He said something like Ogelsby was the purest shooter he has seen and Fran had recruited Jimmer. The hyperbole about Brommer and Archie in the off-season actually had people believing their eyes were lying to them. What about the Eric May talk?

Fran blows smoke up his player's butts. I don't fault him for it. It's really neither here nor there, but he does.

Case in point: Mel is a 6-7 forward with no perimeter game and Fran is talking NBA.

Exactly...I don't really care....but I know that I cannot put too much stock into what Fran says about the players.

You honestly think he's the 3rd-6th best big man on the team next year? You're nuts. He's probably our best big man, Aaron white doesn't cout as a post.

I don't think Woodbury will contribute much at all, but he might, we'll see. I just don't think he's physically ready. I'm excited about Meyer, but it sounds like you are implying he could be better than Basabe immediately? No way. McCabe is not as good as Basabe either.

I am assuming that you've had a chance to sober up a little since you made these comments, so I'll assume you would like to retract them now.

Francis said:
I think, just talking about Basabe, established himself last year as one of the premiere players in our league, I think that you have to take that next step, now that he recognizes that he’s somebody that we are going to go to, and I think he will better understand how to stay out of foul trouble, which will keep him on the floor longer.

But he’s a player that I think is capable of averaging a double-double, which would be a big jump and he’s got to go from seven to ten rebounds a game.

October 13, 2011

McCaffery Media Day Presser | Hawkeye Nation

grain-of-salt.jpg

Ya the Eric May talk last year kind of keeps me from getting to excited about Caff's latest quote. Still, I do believe that Basabe will have a bounce back junior season.

Fran is a good mix of carnival huckster and old-school disciplinarian,imo.
Part of reviving a bb program is the former...you come in,you fire up the fans,and the players blowing a little smoke. Now, that said, Fran is pretty precise in his comments,even tho they seem hyp-ish. He did not say that Mel would make the NBA,only that Mel wants to make the NBA and that he is on the right track. Again,that is not saying that Mel is a lock ,just that to have any chance he has to work his butt off...I am fine with that.

Other comments by Fran in the past: he gushed about Gabe's rebounding in practice last fall...what he said was that he led the team in rebounding in practice...well, that was not hard with a bad rebounding team,and Fran did not say that the rest of Gabe's game was ready for prime-time. I think Fran will always find something positive about a players game, and highlight that. No lying,but accenting the positive.

I think the positive slant is clearly the way to go when building up the program. Now, when we reach a level of excellence,like make the tourny,he will probably back it off a bit to keep expectations in check. When you are rising, build the confidence of the players and fans,once you make it, keep them from getting overconfident.

Remember when Fran gushed about Aaron White as a potential starter? I scoffed.
That buys a lot of cred in my world.
I think these compliments on Mel are the real deal and he will be improved next year,as he was already showing in the NIT. Taking ownership of the team is an important step for upperclassmen like Mel,Zach,and Devyn.

I think he also said Marble could be spectacular. Can't really argue with that one at this point. Nothing from the presser last year over-hyped Brommer or Archie. I think some of you are reaching by criticizing McCaffery for allegedly over-hyping.

Latest posts