The Spectacular Melsahn

Ya the Eric May talk last year kind of keeps me from getting to excited about Caff's latest quote. Still, I do believe that Basabe will have a bounce back junior season.

The only time Eric May has been completely healthy the last two years, was the start of 2010 and a year ago, thru in the spring/summer/fall. Up until before the pre-season practice when his injuries started again. The guy has had several nagging injuries since the end of December 2010. If the guy could just stay healthy for most the pre-season and thru the season...

As for Mel being talked up, I think he expected that huge weight gain in muscle to do the trick, and that the game would be much easier for him. When it didn't go as planned, Mel hit the mental wall. MB needs to consistently work harder... Fran's words can do good. Psych 101 is needed.

I like hearing Fran talk, he is confident. Not arrogant... Confidence is awesome. Let it roll Mac.

It doesn't really matter who starts the game, its about who finishes it. I would be willing to bet that in a close game, down the stretch we will see a lineup of gesell/clemmons, ogelsby, marble, white, and basabe.

I think that you are right on that Hecky. I can see gesell, clemmons, ogelsby, marble, white, and basabe. With the addition of McCabe in that rotation, if he hasn't fouled out. The Clemmons/Ogelsby will depend on whether we need more D or O.

Depth is a beautiful thing.

With a roster full of good players... the cream will rise to the top. The competition for playing time will make everybody better.

There will be more that a few surprises next season.

Absolutely, now in practice you have Gesell, Oglesby, Marble, White, and Woodbury vs. Clemmons, Ingram, Meyer/May, McCabe, and Basabe/Olaseni. That's way better than last years Cartwright, Gatens, Marble, White, McCabe vs. Stubbs, Oglesby, May, Basabe, Brommer/Archie.

Everyone has to step their games up if they want to start. No spot is safe everything has to be earned.

I don' think Fran is one to mince words or sugar coat things. He is pretty much a straight shooter and has been since he arrived on campus. It's really up to Melsahn to decide what type of career he has at Iowa. With Fran, words are only going to carry you so far. Either you perform or you don't.

While I respect Melsahn for being straightforward in saying he did not work hard this season, you have to wonder why. You have made a commitment to be a college basketball player. You have been rewarded with a full scholarship and in return, you are expected to perform at a high level. That is why the university gave you a full-ride scholarship. It is up to you to work hard; to not dog it in practice or during a game.

Admitting you did not work hard is one thing -- doing something about it is another.

The only time Eric May has been completely healthy the last two years, was the start of 2010 and a year ago, thru in the spring/summer/fall. Up until before the pre-season practice when his injuries started again. The guy has had several nagging injuries since the end of December 2010. If the guy could just stay healthy for most the pre-season and thru the season...

As for Mel being talked up, I think he expected that huge weight gain in muscle to do the trick, and that the game would be much easier for him. When it didn't go as planned, Mel hit the mental wall. MB needs to consistently work harder... Fran's words can do good. Psych 101 is needed.

I like hearing Fran talk, he is confident. Not arrogant... Confidence is awesome. Let it roll Mac.
Good post.....

I don't see anything wrong with Mac being positive about the team, much better than Alford blaming a loss to ISU on Sean Sonderleiter. A loss that was due to coaching incompetence......

:)

Latest posts