The Search: Monday Reset (3/22)

Many, many scenarios at play here. Go Big (big money and proven at major conference), go up and coming (Wojcik, Pastner), or go entry level (lower pay scale, (unknown coaching abilities but all indications point to big time recruiting abilities). I'm not sure Forbes even falls into the last category. However, if there were to be a package deal with the other Tennesee assistant as assistant head coach I would be ok with that. An organization should be weary of hiring an assistant serving under a coach who is already known to be able to bring in talent just by their own recruiting abilities.

If this is the avenue that the program takes then I see no logical reason why the choice would be none other than Billie Gillespie with Forbes as the top assistant. Gillespie is proven, probably would take somewhat lesser money to re-establish himself, and you could would work some ethics/moral clauses into a contract that would protect the organization from investing in someone who may or may not be over previous issues. Gillespie will more than likes move on in a few years if he turns the program around and you will have a built in replacement on the sidelines already with Forbes. If Forbes is truly interested in the program he woul buy into this and Gillespie would as well. This is a scenario I hope is actually be discussed.

Prophet Out!

If this is the avenue that the program takes then I see no logical reason why the choice would be none other than Billie Gillespie with Forbes as the top assistant. Gillespie is proven, probably would take somewhat lesser money to re-establish himself, and you could would work some ethics/moral clauses into a contract that would protect the organization from investing in someone who may or may not be over previous issues. Gillespie will more than likes move on in a few years if he turns the program around and you will have a built in replacement on the sidelines already with Forbes. If Forbes is truly interested in the program he woul buy into this and Gillespie would as well. This is a scenario I hope is actually be discussed.

There is no way Barta risks his job on hiring Gillespie. He may be a fantastic coach, but there is just no way he will take that chance, IMO.

Many, many scenarios at play here. Go Big (big money and proven at major conference), go up and coming (Wojcik, Pastner), or go entry level (lower pay scale, (unknown coaching abilities but all indications point to big time recruiting abilities). I'm not sure Forbes even falls into the last category. However, if there were to be a package deal with the other Tennesee assistant as assistant head coach I would be ok with that. An organization should be weary of hiring an assistant serving under a coach who is already known to be able to bring in talent just by their own recruiting abilities.

Prophet Out!

I could embrace this idea. As for Gillispie being that big of a risk...c'mon,Kentucky was willing to gamble their program on him a short two years ago...and now he is a pariah? Lets not overstate his problems...yes, he liked a few cocktails ...but he has operated with great success at illinois,UTEP,A&M...not like he has not proven he can do it.

Forbes could be open to the top assistants job,with a tacit agreement that he will get strong consideration if Billy moves on...exciting concept.

Hewitt info.

In 2009 he had a $3.5 million buyout were he to leave for another college job.
Also GT was on the hook for $7.175 million if they fired him.

Cross him off your list to much coin either way if he left

Jon (and others), wondering thoughts on this....what about going after Bob Knight and trying to get him to come back to the big ten. I understand it wouldn't be long term, but I've heard he has said he would like to coach again. We could sign him to a 4-5 year deal, long enough to have a class go through and for him to groom an assistant to take over when he's ready to be done.
Think of all the instant pub it would bring to Iowa and our bball program....and its a HUGE name hire, one of best college basketball coaches. Iowa needs a BIG name hire as many people have already said. It would bring so much buzz and energy to our basketball program. Thoughts?

Jon (and others), wondering thoughts on this....what about going after Bob Knight and trying to get him to come back to the big ten. I understand it wouldn't be long term, but I've heard he has said he would like to coach again. We could sign him to a 4-5 year deal, long enough to have a class go through and for him to groom an assistant to take over when he's ready to be done.
Think of all the instant pub it would bring to Iowa and our bball program....and its a HUGE name hire, one of best college basketball coaches. Iowa needs a BIG name hire as many people have already said. It would bring so much buzz and energy to our basketball program. Thoughts?

I just don't think we want to go down that road.

I know I don't want to go down that road.

But it would be fun to see the Iowa media on the edge of their seat at every coach Q&A.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

I don't care what anyone says. Once you pass, let's say... 10 years old? You should know better than to choke people or hurl a chair. People who support Bobby Knight are what is wrong with this world. Did he win? Sure. Is he a decent human being? No. Is he a human being? We'll see what the autopsy says.

You can have fire and aggression. Most good coaches do. And the rest of those coaches know how to restrain themselves. Bobby Knight is a whining infant in the body of an old man. There's no place for him in basketball. His presence cheapened college basketball.

Last edited:
Speaking of Knight, he was on my 6 am flight from Florida to Houston this morning. Sitting in first class, calmly reading his book. It appeared to be some type of historical, non-fiction.

I didn't see any Lepic-Kroeger listings scattered about, so I think it's safe to keep him off the list.

Speaking of Knight, he was on my 6 am flight from Florida to Houston this morning. Sitting in first class, calmly reading his book. It appeared to be some type of historical, non-fiction.

I didn't see any Lepic-Kroeger listings scattered about, so I think it's safe to keep him off the list.

I'll step off the ledge...

toward solid ground. just to clarify.

I haven't read everything on HN, but I believe I mentioned the Gillispie scenario similar to what was said here, last week. I actually do love him for the job and I think it should be a year or 2 contract with possible retainer options. But I think he could get things turned around and quickly. He gets the program on the right track and moves on- Not only does this increase his stock for a comeback but it increases Iowa's for a better long term, possibly Pearl type coach- it's a scratch each others back situation and one I wouldn't be opposed to for this transition. The basketball program is a train wreck and usually I wouldn't suggest it, but we may need a band-aid/tourniquet type of thing here. Of course, this is all my OPINION.
But having said that, I do like quite a few other names/scenarios on the list that actually are acquirable

Last edited:

Latest posts