The run game

I don't think much of it at all has been due to the opposition stacking the box. KF has been on record several times saying that with our running scheme, the opposition could put all 11 in the box and he believes that if it's blocked right, we can still be successful running the ball. I tend to believe him. Our best years running the ball, teams always stacked the LOS and we would still be successful. Which comes back to KFs favorite word....execution. Which is especially true when you don't have a "big time" running back. We don't have RBs that can make the first guy miss typically, so if something breaks down with the blocking, the play gets blown up. But when we had guys like Russell, Jermelle Lewis, Shonn Greene, etc.....those guys could still get big yardage even if the play wasn't blocked to perfection or if someone shot the gap and got penetration. Weisman and an injured Canzeri certainly can't do that.
Rico, I only used the part of your post that dealt with my responding post.

The part of your post I bolded sure sounds like Ferentz. The play would work if it's executed properly. The problem I see with Iowa's coaching staff is no one takes into consideration the abilities of the players. What, IMO, would be more successful for this group of OL or any part of Iowa's football team is which schemes exploit the known abilities of the players and fashions a scheme that will succeed from these abilities and from the situation of the game. Of course, as the abilities of the players increase, the schemes can change. Adaptability by coaches to their schemes and to game situations.

IMO, running backs are most successful when they pick the correct hole and use their breakaway speed for gainers. Except for Fred Russell, Iowa's RBs in the KF era have been big bruising runners that make their own holes and don't possess much speed.

If a lower number of defenders are close to the LOS, the running game has more of a chance to be successful. Common sense. If Iowa relies too heavily on the running game, the offense suffers. If the offense suffers and the defense isn't real stingy, the game is lost. Also common sense.

Last edited:
I think we have a talent issue at RB. We have options but none have proven to really be that good yet.

Canzeri can't stay healthy
Bullock can't read blocks and isn't either extremely fast and explosive or strong to break tackles
Weisman can carry the pile for an extra yard or two
Daniels- seems like he could have the most potential to be a complete back but misses a block, drops a pass when he gets an opportunity
Parker- has to continue to earn his way back after the potential disaster that was Ball St

I think our best 2 options are Canzeri and Parker with a mix of Weisman mixed in for short yardage situations and Bullock in 3rd down passing situations.

Latest posts