The run game

I didn't hear about any illness, but I think Morehouse wrote that there was an airplane malfunction that caused the team to need to travel by bus to West Layfayette, and that they didn't arrive until 9:30pm the night before. Not a great situation with an 11am kick the next day.

I honestly do think that contributed to the slow start. Maybe contributed to the WR drops specifically, since lack of good rest can harm your focus.

The only thing that I know for sure about this team that any issues that the team had can NOT be blamed on riding a bus. Wow. :confused::confused:

The backs may not be all-world so some posters are stating that they are missing lanes and cut backs this season. So let me get this straight that somehow the backs hit them last year as the running game was much more effective but they have now forgot how to in the off season?

Why is personnel always overlooked in the equation? For many it is always everything else but personnel.

This year we have one player on the line and that is Scherff period, end of story. We would be absolutely hosed right now without him and could be next year. Last year's line had Connor Boffeli who was 6'5" and 300+ Lbs next to Scherff. When in doubt we ran left. He has been replaced by a guy who is 6'3" 285 lbs and a RS freshman. Does anyone see a problem? Then on the right we lost 6'6" 310+ lbs Van Sloten at tackle and replaced him with one of two guys who were platooning at right guard. Walsh has never set the world on fire and makes tons of mistakes. Donnal is big but just decent. Then Blythe although crowned and anointed by many is average at best.

You put that all together and you have one stud, one undersized youngster playing a year early and 3 other average guys. Makes for a team that has a heck of a time establishing the run even on weak teams.

Throw in a game manager at QB how cannot throw or is reluctant to throw over 15 yards and hello Houston we have a problem.

I didn't hear about any illness, but I think Morehouse wrote that there was an airplane malfunction that caused the team to need to travel by bus to West Layfayette, and that they didn't arrive until 9:30pm the night before. Not a great situation with an 11am kick the next day.

I honestly do think that contributed to the slow start. Maybe contributed to the WR drops specifically, since lack of good rest can harm your focus.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. The team basically had its whole "calendar" messed up by that airport issue.

KF and staff have a definite "routine" they like to adhere to for each/every game. That's another reason KF prefers noon games, or at least consistent start times.

Not sure if the team does any "walk-thrus" night before games, but I know each unit and corresponding staff have a timetable, which they certainly didn't have last weekend.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. The team basically had its whole "calendar" messed up by that airport issue.

KF and staff have a definite "routine" they like to adhere to for each/every game. That's another reason KF prefers noon games, or at least consistent start times.

Not sure if the team does any "walk-thrus" night before games, but I know each unit and corresponding staff have a timetable, which they certainly didn't have last weekend.

Have we really become so soft of a program that a late arrival or bus trip prevents the entire team from curb stomping a bad program?

Honestly is that what happened also with Ball St?

The backs may not be all-world so some posters are stating that they are missing lanes and cut backs this season. So let me get this straight that somehow the backs hit them last year as the running game was much more effective but they have now forgot how to in the off season?

Why is personnel always overlooked in the equation? For many it is always everything else but personnel.

This year we have one player on the line and that is Scherff period, end of story. We would be absolutely hosed right now without him and could be next year. Last year's line had Connor Boffeli who was 6'5" and 300+ Lbs next to Scherff. When in doubt we ran left. He has been replaced by a guy who is 6'3" 285 lbs and a RS freshman. Does anyone see a problem? Then on the right we lost 6'6" 310+ lbs Van Sloten at tackle and replaced him with one of two guys who were platooning at right guard. Walsh has never set the world on fire and makes tons of mistakes. Donnal is big but just decent. Then Blythe although crowned and anointed by many is average at best.

You put that all together and you have one stud, one undersized youngster playing a year early and 3 other average guys. Makes for a team that has a heck of a time establishing the run even on weak teams.

Throw in a game manager at QB how cannot throw or is reluctant to throw over 15 yards and hello Houston we have a problem.

Ummm...the center is pretty damn good if you ask me...and the right tackle is finally playing in his natural position and is playing pretty well too. We've given up four sacks and thrown the ball, what, 220 times or so? The two sacks were attributed to the same guy this week also. I've watched Welsh a lot this year...he's going to be very, very good...he just needs to get bigger and stronger to be dominate.

You must not be watching the same games I'm watching. I know everyone believes that Hawkeyegamefilm dude knows what he's talking about...so I'll quote him..."our backs haven't shown great vision and have missed cutback lanes several times." or words to that effect. There were several Saturday alone against Purdue. Chris Speilman said several times in the ISU game, the backs are missing cutback lanes...he was very emphatic about it. He said the OL wasn't getting the production it should for what it was creating.

I don't know if it is the rotation issue of playing too many guys, but these guys are not in sync with what's happening in front of them. It's just the truth.

You just aren't watching the same game I am...so you go on believing we have Scherff blocking four on his own.

Have we really become so soft of a program that a late arrival or bus trip prevents the entire team from curb stomping a bad program?

Honestly is that what happened also with Ball St?

"Soft" has nothing to do with it. The poster merely speculated that it "could" have been a reason for some of the timing/drops vis-a-vis the WRs/TEs.

Getting a team out of routine is the precise objective in getting a winning advantage.

Ummm...the center is pretty damn good if you ask me...and the right tackle is finally playing in his natural position and is playing pretty well too. We've given up four sacks and thrown the ball, what, 220 times or so? The two sacks were attributed to the same guy this week also. I've watched Welsh a lot this year...he's going to be very, very good...he just needs to get bigger and stronger to be dominate.

You must not be watching the same games I'm watching. I know everyone believes that Hawkeyegamefilm dude knows what he's talking about...so I'll quote him..."our backs haven't shown great vision and have missed cutback lanes several times." or words to that effect. There were several Saturday alone against Purdue. Chris Speilman said several times in the ISU game, the backs are missing cutback lanes...he was very emphatic about it. He said the OL wasn't getting the production it should for what it was creating.

I don't know if it is the rotation issue of playing too many guys, but these guys are not in sync with what's happening in front of them. It's just the truth.

You just aren't watching the same game I am...so you go on believing we have Scherff blocking four on his own.

Ok for arguments sake define what makes our center damn good? Lay out your case because I am asking you.

Finally, someone with an intelligent thing to say about our running game. I was at the Georgia Tennessee game this week and had an opportunity to watch Todd Gurley. Wow...he never gives up on a play and believes he can get 5 yards on his own. The blocking he was getting (aside from the runs they showed on sports center) wasn't that great...but he would make cuts, sometimes across the entire line of scrimmage and still beat guys to the corner...and he's a big man. The fact was, he was seeing the field and reacting to it instantaneously or better yet instinctively, which is what good RB's do.

Go back and watch the Purdue film...there is a run by Weisman where he makes a cut late to a huge hole, but doesn't hit it until he's already there. I like Mark and think he's a good power or short yardage back, but getting ten yards on a run where had it been Parker, he may have housed it. Gurley would have housed it for sure. As much as I like Canzeri, he just doesn't seem to see the lane or isn't willing to commit to his cuts. With the stretch, there have been times where the pursuit is so strong a cutback completely against the flow is there...we haven't had one back do that ALL YEAR. I watched Gurley do it several times yesterday...where there was absolutely no hole whatsoever where the play was designed.

I'm not asking for Todd Gurley as he's the best RB in American...but we have issues at RB right now. The OL can improve, but they aren't getting any credit for what they have been generating. We need a playmaker in the backfield. I say give Parker a few more touches...and not just jet sweeps...let him run a stretch, cut it back and use his speed. Wouldn't that be a nice change of pace.

How dare you call out someone for having something intelligent to say. Now the rest of us are jealous, some of us aren't capable of an intelligent thought.

"Soft" has nothing to do with it. The poster merely speculated that it "could" have been a reason for some of the timing/drops vis-a-vis the WRs/TEs.

Getting a team out of routine is the precise objective in getting a winning advantage.

Sorry not buying what you are selling. Sure stinks to ride the bus and have some delays but if this all it takes to disrupt the entire program then we have even deeper issues than I thought.

So, now that Iowa is stretching the field a bit more over the last 2 games...we see the run game emerge...just a bit.

Seems to me that there are still some issues with the running game....anyone care to speculate on that? I'll hang up and listen.

NCH

We don't have fred Russell, AY, SG, or BW/AR. MW is a good short TD guy, canzeri isn't healthy, Parker is flashing, bullock isn't an every down guy, LD will play more as he learns more...just doesn't bring anything the other three don't, depending on the situation. This causes as much struggle as much critiqued(and inaccurately so IMO than the QB play)

Sorry not buying what you are selling. Sure stinks to ride the bus and have some delays but if this all it takes to disrupt the entire program then we have even deeper issues than I thought.

I'm not "selling" anything. Just pointing out that it "could" have explained the timing and drops in the first half.

We kind of did curb stomp them. Won by 2 TDs and had nearly a 300 yard advantage on them. The offense was uneven, but that was about the best defensive shutdown since the 6-4 game.

Iowa had travel issues which prevented a walk-thru, there was a flu bug moving through the team, and we had some WR issues with Vandeberg out and Smith limited. If you think the walk-thru has zero value, why does every team do one?

Despite all this, Iowa covered the spread. Seems like a good outcome, but fans like yourself expect a "curb stomping". Some people need a reason to complain.

"Some delays"? The team arrived 5 hours later than they normally would have for a road game. Couldn't walk thru or go over game plan. Got to bed late....up early for an 11am game.....dealing with the flu.....Bullock, Smith and Vandeberg out with injuries/illnesses.....QB starting his first ever game.

You are apparently blinded by your hatred of KF if you think these are just trivial matters.....

We don't have fred Russell, AY, SG, or BW/AR. MW is a good short TD guy, canzeri isn't healthy, Parker is flashing, bullock isn't an every down guy, LD will play more as he learns more...just doesn't bring anything the other three don't, depending on the situation. This causes as much struggle as much critiqued(and inaccurately so IMO than the QB play)

We actually weren't all that good with Albert Young or BW/AR. We ranked 7th and 9th in the Big Ten with those guys (out of 11 teams). Also, our average rank is 8.1 in rushing under KF, not good. This is not a new problem.

People like to criticize Weisman but last year was tied for the 4th best rushing team we've had under KF (at 6th in the Big Ten).

We actually weren't all that good with Albert Young or BW/AR. We ranked 7th and 9th in the Big Ten with those guys (out of 11 teams). Also, our average rank is 8.1 in rushing under KF, not good. This is not a new problem.

People like to criticize Weisman but last year was tied for the 4th best rushing team we've had under KF (at 6th in the Big Ten).

For the most part, I haven't had an issue with the run game under Ferentz. We are not going (nor are trying to be) Nebraska or Wisconsin in the running game. We want to use the run to set up play action for big plays. We also want to use it to control the TOP, especially in the 4th quarter when we are trying to move the chains. In the years when we have good backs (Russell, Jermelle Lewis, Shonn Greene, etc), the running game can be a difference maker.

I'm not sure, but I think sacks also hurt our YPC the last game and a half. CJ seemed to get the ball out quicker the second half of the Purdue game, but he definitely held it too long a few times. If he is given the opportunity, he will get more comfortable, and the offense will be better off both passing and running.

On a side note, I enjoyed seeing Parker and Daniels Jr. in their limited action. I hope they can progress throughout the year.

Agree that Iowa just doesn't have the running back talent on the team. Really no one who was even moderately highly recruited.

Thats the issue. Sure the Oline, misses things, but the offensive line has to block everything absolutely perfect for Iowa to get an 8-10 yard gain. Iowa's RB's are average at best and it makes life tough on the offensive line. Watch some other games and the RBs and you will see how lacking Iowa is right now at that position.

For the most part, I haven't had an issue with the run game under Ferentz. We are not going (nor are trying to be) Nebraska or Wisconsin in the running game. We want to use the run to set up play action for big plays. We also want to use it to control the TOP, especially in the 4th quarter when we are trying to move the chains. In the years when we have good backs (Russell, Jermelle Lewis, Shonn Greene, etc), the running game can be a difference maker.

Well. it is an issue since we also haven't been able to score. 2001, 2002 and 2008 were by far our best years scoring under KF and those were also the only years we ran the ball 60% or more of the plays (with the exception of 2013, we were at 60%).

Bill Parcells said "it's not ypc, it's the number of rushing attempts that will determine if you're a good team." Not sure if I totally agree with that but it certainly seems to be the case for Iowa.

Latest posts