Give me a freaking break..... enough said,,,,,

# 1 Bob Knight
# 2 Billy Gillespe
# 3 Steve Lavin
# 4 Mark Few
# 5 Larry Eustachy
# 6 Kelvin Sampson

I don't think there is enough said...

I'm a big fan of the Steve Lavin hire in particular so please tell us why not...

I really like and enjoy Steve Lavin also but he's not a fit for Iowa.

First he's been out of coaching for 6-7 years. With the number of jobs open on a yearly basis does not say something ? Also he was a part of Jim Harrick's staff at UCLA before he took over. You should know about the kind of guy Harrick was,,,, remember his last couple of stops ?

Bill Gillespe is a great recruiter but if you think Alford was a jerk this guy is times 4. Not to mention he has a substance abuse problem. Boy that would be a great fit at Iowa given how we treat athletes who get picked up for possession.

Few just plain and simple no chance.... he's had better opportunities than Iowa.

Knight ... way over the hill. You have to start grooming someone else almost immediately. He's not that great of a coach in current day basketball.

Last edited:
mentioned it on another thread, but Kinght would be a great pick. Yeah he is 67 or so but he can coach modern hoops. At the same time let him groom the eventual successor. I think he would have interest

You thinking Knight would be a circus, please....The past 10 years have been a disaster. Get a guy with some clout and knows how to coach.

I would hardly say all of the last 10 have been a disaster ?

Regardless if you liked SA or not he did win 2 Big Ten tourney titles, finished second in the conference one year (25 wins + undeafted at home) and third another year. Yes he and his team had their fair share of issues but it was not the disaster that Lick has produced even though he seems like a great guy.

Knight did a solid job at Texas Tech but it's not like he was dominating the Big 12. Come on now this is the hire that would give Iowa the best road to long term success,,,,, really ? Why aren't other teams knocking down his door then ?

Give me a freaking break..... enough said,,,,,

# 1 Bob Knight
# 2 Billy Gillespe
# 3 Steve Lavin
# 4 Mark Few
# 5 Larry Eustachy
# 6 Kelvin Sampson

I'd put Eustachy #2 on the ridiculous list and take Lavin off. I think he would do well but I don't think he's on the radar anyway.

Knight is Steve Alford haughtiness with an anger problem.
Eustachy is SA haughtiness + arrogance.

Am I the only one who thinks Pearl should be front and center on this list?

Pearl is the most dangerous, because there is a legitimite 50/50 chance that WHEN the next coach isn't Pearl, a majority of the fanbase is going to throw a hissy fit and and hate the new coach as much as Lickliter.

Bank. On. That.

Agreed. He might be a popular choice amongst the fan base, but a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

My suggestion is to see how this plays out and not get overly emotional until you get some facts about who the new coach is.

Pearl is the most dangerous, because there is a legitimite 50/50 chance that WHEN the next coach isn't Pearl, a majority of the fanbase is going to throw a hissy fit and and hate the new coach as much as Lickliter.

Bank. On. That.

Bank. On. That.

I wouldn't put him on the "ridiculous list", but I agree he is number one on the "dangerous list". I think it was FreddyBrown who made a post not long ago about how the fan base needed to not put all of their hopes on one single candidate. It appears there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when this hire is announced. And that's a shame.

My suggestion is to see how this plays out and not get overly emotional until you get some facts about who the new coach is.

Agree 100%. Yesterday when people were celebrating Lick's firing, I had to stop and think that we should really wait until we hire a capable replacement before we start celebrating.

I wouldn't put him on the "ridiculous list", but I agree he is number one on the "dangerous list". I think it was FreddyBrown who made a post not long ago about how the fan base needed to not put all of their hopes on one single candidate. It appears there are going to be a lot of disappointed people when this hire is announced. And that's a shame.

Ya I put Pearl in the dream/shocker category at this point. I'm starting to look at the next tier of possibilities and what they bring to the table. And honestly I don't even know if anyone in this second tier that I have dubbed as "Current head coaches at a BCS conf. school not named Bruce Pearl" are totally realistic at this point...

I tried to ask everyone who is 100% fixated on Pearl right now who they would be ok with when he doesnt come and didnt get many answers. It makes me nervous that some people will view the next hiring as a failure if we dont get Pearl. Those people need to temper their expectations because Pearl coming to Iowa has the odds stacked against it

Latest posts