The problem

parahawkeyes

I was looking at our insane lead in Free Throw Attempts and it occurred to me that a HUGE part of our game is reliant on the refs blowing the whistle. I'm not taking digs at the refs here, but you never want such a key to your team's success to be in someone else's hands.

QUESTION: Do you think the NCAA Tourney will be called tight or will they let physical play fly? I keep remembering that Butler game where they were calling fouls with like .8 on the clock in a close game.

I was looking at our insane lead in Free Throw Attempts and it occurred to me that a HUGE part of our game is reliant on the refs blowing the whistle. I'm not taking digs at the refs here, but you never want such a key to your team's success to be in someone else's hands.

QUESTION: Do you think the NCAA Tourney will be called tight or will they let physical play fly? I keep remembering that Butler game where they were calling fouls with like .8 on the clock in a close game.

True..but I find rustrating is the insane FG% that other teams have been shooting against us.
Teams that have struggled to put up 60 points are going off on us. I am not going to blame it soley on our defense. Appling hasn't hit a 3 in over a month and he drains them.. Conversely , we get wide open looks with no one around and doink them. Woody can't hit point blank shots. Uthoff can't hold on to the ball. I wish he would just start shooting from the 3 instead of dribble driving. White just disapears. Thank goodness Marble gets his 20 points.

I hope for Iowa's sake that they call the game's in the NCAA the way it is supposed to be called. Fran has coached this team the right way. Play defense with your feet, not with your hands.

Thug teams who rely on arm bars and hand checks will be in trouble. Yeah, I'm looking at you, msu.

Iowa's basketball team is not good at rugby, the tournament will be officiated more like a basketball game, so that benefits the Hawks.

I hope for Iowa's sake that they call the game's in the NCAA the way it is supposed to be called. Fran has coached this team the right way. Play defense with your feet, not with your hands.

Thug teams who rely on arm bars and hand checks will be in trouble. Yeah, I'm looking at you, msu.

Izzo and Bo Ryan coach their guys to play the game the right way. It is not a coincidence that both MSU and Wisconsin swept Iowa this year (and crushed us in football, too).

Unless thug teams play to the level the game is officiated at and get the arms down if its being called. while I agree that they're a physical team, I also see it as them playing to the level of the officiating. If it's not being called and its working for them then I don't see why we'd expect them not to do it.

Not saying your of this mentality, but I pity people that don't realize that MSU is a very good team that finally appears to be healthy and finding their rythem. I think people are delusional if they think they're successful simply because they play "thug" defense. They're phyisical but very talented.

It simply makes sense. What games do we have a track record of struggling in? Close games and road games. Close games are notorious for having refs swallowing their whistles, and you don't get the calls on the road. When that gets taken away from us we lose a major, major part of our offense.

It simply makes sense. What games do we have a track record of struggling in? Close games and road games. Close games are notorious for having refs swallowing their whistles, and you don't get the calls on the road. When that gets taken away from us we lose a major, major part of our offense.

While this is an issue, I think the biggest problem we have is playing against teasms that take care of the ball and limit our ability to get out in transition. It seems that teams have the most success when they can keep us in a half court offense. I think that's a bigger problem than getting to the stripe.

Counting on the NCAA and NCAA refs is like counting on your grandma to win a Cancun Spring Break bikini contest.
bikini-fail-old-woman.jpg

The problem is lack of mental and physical toughness, which translates to weak effort and, to some degree, relying on others (refs, other teams, team mates) to help you out rather than taking care of your own business.

-- Woodbury is the softest 7'1" center in major D-1 basketball. I'd love to see him invest 1/2 the effort into playing like a 7'1" man who owns the lane, attacks the rim and finishes with authority as he does worrying about shushing me for calling him a ***** around the basket -- which he is. The next time he fist-pumps and chest-thumps for tieing up a 6'4" guard who drove right at him because they don't fear him, I hope he stumbles on his own shoelace.

-- White is lazy and gives up. He's devolved into one of the worst baseline zone defenders I've ever seen (hedges too much anticipating the pass and is constantly out of position / sideways to recover). He's lost in the offense and watches. In his defense, McCLiter has him playing out of position, at the 3, but he compounds the problem by tending to retreat into an afterthought to his mates rather than imposing himself into the offensive flow. His m.i.a. routine is 100% mental, self-pity and weak effort.

-- McCabe is just frustrated, which leads to him being frustrating. As many others have said, it's not his fault his coach puts him in positions where it's inevitiable he will fail because he's physically and athletically overmatched and his talents are inferior. Thing is, he's also played so poorly (like most on this team, well below their individual potential) he's not only frustrated but getting angry.
(On that note, last night was his best performance since December -- pretty solid, actually. As I said, I'm just sorry he also didn't punch MSU's head b!tch in the face and take a dump in Dickie V's and Nessler's shaving kits.)

-- Finally, McCaffery ... he continues to suffer from the misconception that quantity = quality. Like his counterpart on the gridiron, he tends to constantly stuff square pegs in round holes (White = 3? McCabe = +5 minutes and a 5?), zig when he should zag (Zone or man? Starters build a lead, take 'em out in a wholesale line-change. Need some D, insert Clemmons, Jok, Oglesby, etc.) and insists that hard-working experience trumps youthful talent. On top of that, his disorganized personnel mismanagement has diluted the talent on this team to the point that everyone is questioning what they should do, where do they fit, are they good enough ...

You "Mad", yet coach?

mccafferyx-large.jpg

... us, too!!

The problem is lack of mental and physical toughness, which translates to weak effort and, to some degree, relying on others (refs, other teams, team mates) to help you out rather than taking care of your own business.

-- Woodbury is the softest 7'1" center in major D-1 basketball. I'd love to see him invest 1/2 the effort into playing like a 7'1" man who owns the lane, attacks the rim and finishes with authority as he does worrying about shushing me for calling him a ***** around the basket -- which he is. The next time he fist-pumps and chest-thumps for tieing up a 6'4" guard who drove right at him because they don't fear him, I hope he stumbles on his own shoelace.

-- White is lazy and gives up. He's devolved into one of the worst baseline zone defenders I've ever seen (hedges too much anticipating the pass and is constantly out of position / sideways to recover). He's lost in the offense and watches. In his defense, McCLiter has him playing out of position, at the 3, but he compounds the problem by tending to retreat into an afterthought to his mates rather than imposing himself into the offensive flow. His m.i.a. routine is 100% mental, self-pity and weak effort.

-- McCabe is just frustrated, which leads to him being frustrating. As many others have said, it's not his fault his coach puts him in positions where it's inevitiable he will fail because he's physically and athletically overmatched and his talents are inferior. Thing is, he's also played so poorly (like most on this team, well below their individual potential) he's not only frustrated but getting angry.
(On that note, last night was his best performance since December -- pretty solid, actually. As I said, I'm just sorry he also didn't punch MSU's head b!tch in the face and take a dump in Dickie V's and Nessler's shaving kits.)

-- Finally, McCaffery ... he continues to suffer from the misconception that quantity = quality. Like his counterpart on the gridiron, he tends to constantly stuff square pegs in round holes (White = 3? McCabe = +5 minutes and a 5?), zig when he should zag (Zone or man? Starters build a lead, take 'em out in a wholesale line-change. Need some D, insert Clemmons, Jok, Oglesby, etc.) and insists that hard-working experience trumps youthful talent. On top of that, his disorganized personnel mismanagement has diluted the talent on this team to the point that everyone is questioning what they should do, where do they fit, are they good enough ...

You "Mad", yet coach?

mccafferyx-large.jpg

... us, too!!

You're right on all points except the ones about Woodbury, White, McCabe and McCaffery. Please tell us why Syracuse, Wisconsin, Ohio St., Michigan St., Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan are slow, soft, lazy and misguided. After all, they went through the exact same stretches that prompted you to spew such erroneous nonsense about Iowa.

You "Mad", yet coach?

mccafferyx-large.jpg

... us, too!!

I couldn't even get through this crap. Started to lose me on the softness of Woodbury (who probably plays harder than anyone on the team) but I quit as soon as you called White lazy.

You "Mad", yet coach?

mccafferyx-large.jpg

... us, too!!

lmfao. So true.

You're right on all points except the ones about Woodbury, White, McCabe and McCaffery. Please tell us why Syracuse, Wisconsin, Ohio St., Michigan St., Kansas, Kentucky and Michigan are slow, soft, lazy and misguided. After all, they went through the exact same stretches that prompted you to spew such erroneous nonsense about Iowa.

For starters, I don't think most of those teams you mentioned went through the exact same stretches; maybe fOSU and Kentucky have approached the underachievement that Iowa is defining this season. On the other hand, what the **** do I care how those teams play. I'm not a fan of those teams so don't watch them as regularly or follow their performance night in / night out.

In fact, what a stupid reply by you. You offer nothing except to disagree, then challenge me to defend YOUR opinion. I'm not your fvc&!ng secretary! You want to argue a point? Step up and state your case! Offer your assessments, back up your conclusions, be accountable for your own arguments!

What a weak effort by you. You probably attribute the past two weeks' disintegration of this team to poor officiating and bad luck. Reminds me of this Iowa team -- hoping something or someone rescues them from their poor efforts and mental lapses.

Good points. It's not so much dependent on the refs, but dependent on attacking the rim. The fouls come with that. White is missing when he gets stuck playing at the 3 spot which has him out at the 3 point line most of the time. It make me cringe with him at the 3, McCabe at 4 and whoever at 5, that is little ability to score with those three in at the same time.

PLEASE PUT WHITE AT THE 4 SPOT, he attacks the rim from that spot and the whole offense is better.

How the refs call the game is significant if Iowa attacks the basket in the tourney. it will be interesting to see how the games are called.

What I can't figure out is with the quality of coaching we have on this message board why they aren't coaching at the D I level? Wow... Maybe Jockitch will leave ESPN and these posters will be analysts?!

The NCAA will be called much tighter and it will benefit Iowa...IMO.

Latest posts