The problem

Fran has no patience to stick with a game plan and or the Key 8 players (That 8 doesn't include Clemmons or McCabe). The moment momentum shifts he goes to the bench and tosses another lineup together. He has real issues with game management and his biggest issue is his emotions get the best of him..

I hope for Iowa's sake that they call the game's in the NCAA the way it is supposed to be called. Fran has coached this team the right way. Play defense with your feet, not with your hands.

Thug teams who rely on arm bars and hand checks will be in trouble. Yeah, I'm looking at you, msu.

And how many final fours has the Great bo Ryan led Wisconsin to? Zero that's right. When was the last time the big ten won a national title? 2000 with mateen and mo-pete.
The NCAA tournament is officiated extremely different than the big ten regular season and big ten teams struggle to adjust to the pace. I still feel great about our chances. I'd like a better seed but what can you do. We should not coach our team to defend by fouling. This is wrong wrong wrong. We will adjust to any pace in the tournament. Will the other teams be able to with their best players in foul trouble? Fear not Hawk fans.

QUESTION: Do you think the NCAA Tourney will be called tight or will they let physical play fly? I keep remembering that Butler game where they were calling fouls with like .8 on the clock in a close game.

It will be a crap shoot, just like it has been all year.

What I can't figure out is with the quality of coaching we have on this message board why they aren't coaching at the D I level? Wow... Maybe Jockitch will leave ESPN and these posters will be analysts?!

I can't speak for anyone else but I don't like the idea of being on the road recruiting all the time.

There is something to be said for not having your livelihood depend on the fickle whims of 17 year old kids.

Good points. It's not so much dependent on the refs, but dependent on attacking the rim. The fouls come with that. White is missing when he gets stuck playing at the 3 spot which has him out at the 3 point line most of the time. It make me cringe with him at the 3, McCabe at 4 and whoever at 5, that is little ability to score with those three in at the same time.

PLEASE PUT WHITE AT THE 4 SPOT, he attacks the rim from that spot and the whole offense is better.

How the refs call the game is significant if Iowa attacks the basket in the tourney. it will be interesting to see how the games are called.

Marble and White both need bumped up a spot. Marble at the 3, White playing 4. That's what worked so well in the first half, when Oglesby was playing the 2.

And YES, PLEASE have the Tourney called tighter! Again, that Butler game was all kinds of ridiculous and I wondered if that was a point of emphasis now.

What I can't figure out is with the quality of coaching we have on this message board why they aren't coaching at the D I level? Wow... Maybe Jockitch will leave ESPN and these posters will be analysts?!

Well, which is it - u want a coach or an announcer? U got a contract for either?

Ill start at 250 grr, the rest incentives. Ill have Woody as confident as Shaq, White a consistent 15 / 8 producer, McCabe knowing his role and making the most of his 5 minutes, and a solid 8 man rotation. I' d b able to sleep walk this team to 20 wins and win as many NCAA tourney games as this coach will (0 to 1) with this team.

So, do ya or r u just talking ****?

Well, which is it - u want a coach or an announcer? U got a contract for either?

Ill start at 250 grr, the rest incentives. Ill have Woody as confident as Shaq, White a consistent 15 / 8 producer, McCabe knowing his role and making the most of his 5 minutes, and a solid 8 man rotation. I' d b able to sleep walk this team to 20 wins and win as many NCAA tourney games as this coach will (0 to 1) with this team.

So, do ya or r u just talking ****?

You'd sit a guy coming off of a freshman year where he averaged 4.3PPG 2.8AST in an already thin backcourt? After that, you pull the plug on a Senior who is one of the few long range threats? Olaseni, Uthoff and Oglesby are the only ones seeing time off the bench, correct? Uthoff, the Sophomore who hasn't played ball in up to around 2 years now. Pretend there was no injury and you got a Josh Oglesby who was even more maligned than McCabe is right now last year. And finally, you'd develop Woodbury better how? He's shooting 50%, rebounding tremendously as part of a scary-successful 2-man platoon, and he's started since day one of his freshman year. What is Fran not doing here?

The 10-man rotation is necessary. You don't give up on players with documented evidence of VERY capable play. Everything you're assuming is with information you would have needed a crystal ball for otherwise. Some of us wanted McCabe sitting awhile back, but if your goal is to reach a Final Four you're going to need his contributions in case he heats up. No choice but to play him, even if it means coughing up a couple in the regular season.

Oh the comedy, how people have turned on Fran.

Unless thug teams play to the level the game is officiated at and get the arms down if its being called. while I agree that they're a physical team, I also see it as them playing to the level of the officiating. If it's not being called and its working for them then I don't see why we'd expect them not to do it.

Not saying your of this mentality, but I pity people that don't realize that MSU is a very good team that finally appears to be healthy and finding their rythem. I think people are delusional if they think they're successful simply because they play "thug" defense. They're phyisical but very talented.

Wisconsin is the program that's been successful, in very large part, to grabby defense. MSU can play the game however they want; they're good enough to beat anyone whether they play super physical or true fundamental defense. They just do what they know they can get away with; no different than what Craft does. Fouling, when the game is being called loosely, is always going to be more effective than true defense. So if you can get away with it, you'd be smart to do it.

Latest posts