The Perfect Uniform

Blackhawk33

Watching the throwback unis last week got me thinking. Maybe we don't have the best uniforms we could have. The gold on the throwbacks was way better than our current plain yellow gold. Plus, the simple gold stripes on the shoulders looked a lot cooler than the clunky Steeler yellow and white shoulder stripes. I'm not saying everything about the throwbacks were better. For instance, the numbers on the helmets looked nice for one game, but the Tigerhawk is the greatest logo ever created, OBVIOUSLY.
So, the perfect uniform would go like this:

-Black helmet. Gold Tigerhawk on each side. No stripe.

-Jerseys and pants exactly like they were for the throwback game.

I don't know if I would call the color on the throwbacks last weekend gold. That looked like yellow to me.

The throwback unis weren't as yellow as the current yellow in the uniforms. I kind of liked that color. My seats are near the field, and the color was more like that of a packers helmet. Not bright/light yellow. I actually really liked the throwback unis, but I really like their regular unis, too.

I've been preaching the 1972-1973 jerseys for awhile now in terms of throwbacks. Black helmet with a silhouette of a soaring hawk. Not the Tigerhawk, but still my favorite Iowa helmet.

I wouldn't change a thing. We have had this uni for close to 30 years and it is perfect. You don't see elite teams change their look. It is called tradition.

I don't want the 'new Coke'; I'll stay with the original, thank you.

Regarding the throwbacks, I liked the gold numerals, and I liked the slightly darker gold color.

I'd strong consider/suggest incorporating both into our current scheme.

Disagree with OP. Our uniforms are BA. People recognize them across the country. Why mess. They tried messing with the tiger hawk, people hated it.... Hayden tried some different uni's in the 90's, people hated them. Don't mess with something that is not broken.

I wouldn't change a thing. We have had this uni for close to 30 years and it is perfect. You don't see elite teams change their look. It is called tradition.

agreed. PSU, Michigan, OSU all keep the same look and it is highly recognizable. Tradition. I do like the occassional throwback uni games.

how about... we add pink face masks like in the visiting locker rooms so it has has a calming effect on the other team when we line up.

jeez... the jerseys are awesome as is

I love the occasional throwback games and I wouldn't mind some kind of an alternate uniform for "special" occasions...but if you mess with the current uniforms, I will kick someone's a$$!

I would still love to see black pants, black jersy and black helmet at a night game.

For the gazillionth time this is a football team not HS girls softball team.

The throwbacks from last week were pretty sweet one minor change that would make them even better, take the numbers off the helmets and put a black tigerhawk on those would be cool for a change it up uni every now and then.

I want:

Current helmets

Black Jersey, gold v-neck collar, black Tiger Hawk in the point of the v, white numbers

Black pants, thinner, single gold stripe down the sides

But I don't want to see them every year...maybe make it the "blackout" uniform or something and only do it every other season or so...maybe alternate years with a throwback game one year, blackout game the next.

I've been preaching the 1972-1973 jerseys for awhile now in terms of throwbacks. Black helmet with a silhouette of a soaring hawk. Not the Tigerhawk, but still my favorite Iowa helmet.

I'm with ya there. Those helmets are suhweeet! Still favor the tiger hawk though. It's so unique & just plain awesome. I agree that tradition is very important & would hate to see our current uni's ever go, but it would be nice to at least change up a little bit more. I mean we've done throwbacks twice in the last 10 years, right? We'd have to money do it, but Kirk never has been a flashy guy or into style so much. I'm not complaining btw! Just would like to see a throwback at least once a year. And they're not planning on wearing the ones we used last week anytime soon again, right? They sell everything auction style if I'm not mistaken?

For the gazillionth time this is a football team not HS girls softball team.

The throwbacks from last week were pretty sweet one minor change that would make them even better, take the numbers off the helmets and put a black tigerhawk on those would be cool for a change it up uni every now and then.

I don't get the HS girl's softball team reference. Florida State has an all black kit that looks AWESOME. So does South Carolina, and I'm sure Oregon does too. It's the coolest and most intimidating look in college sports (for night games) IMO.

Plus, the simple gold stripes on the shoulders looked a lot cooler than the clunky Steeler yellow and white shoulder stripes.

This is a good point. The current uniforms are great, and better than any throwback or Nike combat uniform or whatever other changes that might happen, but this is one thing that I would change.

Latest posts