The path to 10 B1G Wins

The B1G is brutal this year but someone has to win the games. There's gonna be a lot of close games and Iowa has to win them. Its really that simple.

This and that’s what doesn’t give me a whole hell of a lot of confidence in having to win the close games! This is IMO where the true merit of a solid coach shines and Fran fails badly in this department.

Agreed. One solution to the lack of slashing/penetrating ability is to feed the post and work inside out. Which is a position of strength for Iowa. There have been several times this year where the team has gone away from it and failed to get the ball inside with good positioning. Why they go away from trying to feed the post at times is beyond me. Maybe it's due to a team fronting or Iowa's lack of being versatile in it's set plays designed to get the post feed open....

I've said this before but I'll say it again, I really wish Fran would implement the use of some/more post isolation plays for Cook/Garza when opposing teams are playing man. There are way too many times where the team actually gets them the ball but the opposing team swarms to them before they can make a move. Spacing the floor better to get the passer and post player as the only 2 on the same side of the court could allow the needed separation. Make this a go to when in a drought and the shooters are not getting open.

Oh a wise guy eh? Nice to hear from someone who understands sound offensive fundamentals.

As Lute liked to say, a successful team will score most of their points from within the paint as those shots have a much higher percentage of going in. Turn to the basket and shoot the dam ball off of the glass. No, Fran often has his players trying to shoot in the paint while in motion. This severely lowers your shot percentage. This coaching staff has trouble teaching their players how to post up and then teaching the guards how to feed into the post. Set a pick for the guard which opens the lane up for the guard to move toward the basket completely open. The defensive post player is forced to react and step up and cover the guard. Our post player knowing in advance what is going to happens steps into the vacated area at the post and the guard then passes to him for an easy score or at the least a foul. This isn’t rocket science. Lickliter actually wasn’t bad at this. Licks down fall in regards to this was having most of his post players at 6’ 6” or shorter which often resulted in blocked shots.

Oh a wise guy eh? Nice to hear from someone who understands sound offensive fundamentals.

As Lute liked to say, a successful team will score most of their points from within the paint as those shots have a much higher percentage of going in. Turn to the basket and shoot the dam ball off of the glass. No, Fran often has his players trying to shoot in the paint while in motion. This severely lowers your shot percentage. This coaching staff has trouble teaching their players how to post up and then teaching the guards how to feed into the post. Set a pick for the guard which opens the lane up for the guard to move toward the basket completely open. The defensive post player is forced to react and step up and cover the guard. Our post player knowing in advance what is going to happens steps into the vacated area at the post and the guard then passes to him for an easy score or at the least a foul. This isn’t rocket science. Lickliter actually wasn’t bad at this. Licks down fall in regards to this was having most of his post players at 6’ 6” or shorter which often resulted in blocked shots.

We are probably in the minority but I agree with you. Lick's tactics were not horrible, he just struggled at one of the most important aspects of the Iowa job in recruiting and retaining the players needed to compete at the Big Ten level.

This and that’s what doesn’t give me a whole hell of a lot of confidence in having to win the close games! This is IMO where the true merit of a solid coach shines and Fran fails badly in this department.

Especially with all the turnovers. Turnovers kill you always, but they're especially brutal in games that go down to the wire.

Especially with all the turnovers. Turnovers kill you always, but they're especially brutal in games that go down to the wire.
Which is where above average guard play becomes that much more important. We don't have it and we don't win many close games. That's a recruiting issue and that's on Fran.

Which is where above average guard play becomes that much more important. We don't have it and we don't win many close games. That's a recruiting issue and that's on Fran.

You are not wrong. Bohannon has looked especially flustered this year now that Connor has been playing decently at the point.

I think if JBo gets it going, Connor and Moss can alternate good nights, and Dailey can give us something, we would have slightly above average guard play. The problem has been Moss's consistency and the fact that we have gotten little out of JBo and nothing out of Dailey to this point. History says that we can expect JBo to return to form and Dailey has shown flashes, but we need them all to elevate their games to make it through the Big Ten slate. I won't discard the possibility, but I think the most likely outcome is 9-11 in Big ten play. That will require us to do something in the Big Ten tournament to make the dance.

I think if JBo gets it going, Connor and Moss can alternate good nights, and Dailey can give us something, we would have slightly above average guard play. The problem has been Moss's consistency and the fact that we have gotten little out of JBo and nothing out of Dailey to this point. History says that we can expect JBo to return to form and Dailey has shown flashes, but we need them all to elevate their games to make it through the Big Ten slate. I won't discard the possibility, but I think the most likely outcome is 9-11 in Big ten play. That will require us to do something in the Big Ten tournament to make the dance.
That isn't above average guard play in the BIG conference. I don't believe that for a moment.