The path to 10 B1G Wins

NikeHawk21

Well I haven’t given up all hope on the season and think if we can get to 10 conference wins we have a chance to get into the tournament. Here is the path to 10 wins.

Very Winnable Games (3-0)
-Illinois (Home)
-Rutgers (Home)
-Northwestern (Home)

Possible Wins: (6-2 or 5-3)
-Indiana (Home)
-Rutgers (Away)
-Northwestern (Away)
-Minnesota (Away)
-Maryland (Home)
-Nebraska (Home)
-Penn State (Away)
-Ohio State (Home)

Unlikely Wins: (1-6 or 2-5)
-Michigan State (Home)
-Michigan (Home)
-Indiana (Away)
-Purdue (Away)
-Ohio State (Away)
-Nebraska (Away)
-Wisconsin (Away)

The last two games haven’t been great but it’s a long season. A win against Iowa State Friday would be a nice resume’ booster. If we can pull an upset or two and protect our home court, we can get to 10 wins in the league which I think will get us into the dance. I’m not banking on it, but I think it is possible.

I see Iowa was a 7 seed on bracketology Dec 3 edition. I would imagine that may have been before the MSU blowout. Thanks for the breakdown. It does look like a path to 10 wins for a solid defensive team. Hopefully they can get back to that and survive the first half of the B1G schedule. Its F'ing brutal.

It all depends on whether or not this team mentally collapses.
Exactly. A 2-4 start is not out of the question, but if they can stay together the middle of their schedule provides some opportunities. This team still hasn’t proved it can win on the road though.

First conference win of the season...January 20 vs. Illinois. Hope I'm wrong but it's the "here we go again" feeling. 6-14 conference record. Once again, hope I'm wrong.

First conference win of the season...January 20 vs. Illinois. Hope I'm wrong but it's the "here we go again" feeling. 6-14 conference record. Once again, hope I'm wrong.
6-14 is exactly what I think is the most likely scenario. Assuming that they either beat the Clones or win a game in the B1G tourney, they should be able to make the NIT.

Hey, it's a step in the right direction.

6-14 is exactly what I think is the most likely scenario. Assuming that they either beat the Clones or win a game in the B1G tourney, they should be able to make the NIT.

Hey, it's a step in the right direction.
If the addition of Weiskamp only gets us 6 big ten wins that really isn’t progress from last year. A coach in his 9th year that only gets 6 wins coming off a 4 win season deserves a shitcanning party.

If the addition of Weiskamp only gets us 6 big ten wins that really isn’t progress from last year. A coach in his 9th year that only gets 6 wins coming off a 4 win season deserves a shitcanning party.
I'm also taking into consideration the depth of quality in the B1G this year. It's not so much that we aren't getting better, it's that conference is so strong this year.

I'm also taking into consideration the depth of quality in the B1G this year. It's not so much that we aren't getting better, it's that conference is so strong this year.

2 conference games, 0-2 record, defense has yielded 162 points; that's an avg.of 81 per game. Offense was a no-show vs St. Sounds like last year to me. Someone keep me optpmistic!!

My six wins: beat NW and Rutgers twice, Illinois at home, and at Penn State. Likely we will lose one of those 6, but beat somebody else.

Usually when you have to come up with a "path" to a certain number of wins, it ain't gonna happen. I reeeeally hope I'm wrong, but I need to be proven otherwise first.
Agreed. I think it’s going to be very tough for this team to get to 10 wins in the B1G this year. Expecially with what looks like a very rough start.

My guess is they get to 8 or 9 wins.

If we go perfect in the non conference, 9 wins and a win or two in the BTT might get us in, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

It's hard to predict. I could see this team playing better at the end of the season and stealing some games. They have enough experience to be that kind of team. Unfortunately, Fran's teams tend to go the opposite direction. We'll have to wait and see.

2 conference games, 0-2 record, defense has yielded 162 points; that's an avg.of 81 per game. Offense was a no-show vs St. Sounds like last year to me. Someone keep me optpmistic!!
3 things
1) Michigan State and Wisconsin are looking like 2 of the top 3 in the conference
2) Wisconsin had 72 against us and we had a chance against them
3) if you want to stay optimistic stay off the message boards where 80 percent is negative. That number drops to about 60 percent after a win. It will raise to 95 percent if Iowa loses one of its next four

Last edited:
So far we are 4-2 against power 5 schools. We have three more 6 game stretches against p5 teams. I would argue our first 6 games were equally as hard, if not harder, than any 6 game stretch yet. I haven't actually looked at the remaining 18 games in 6 game stretches, but more so just broke it down that way for math's sake. If we equal 4-2 the rest of the way we will end up 12-8 in conference will an undefeated (hopefully) non con record. That puts us in easy. That means we're ahead of pace so far with a long way to go.