The Pac-10 is Panicking

briankaldenberg

Just because the Pac-10 is making invites doesn't mean the Big 12 cream of the crop is going to jump on board.

I think the Pac-10 realized that Mizzou, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma (or some mixture of those teams, but Texas for sure) were heading to the Big 10.

If Pac 10 loses Texas, their expansion plans and T.V. network idea takes a huge hit.

Bottom line is Austin, TX and Norman, OK are much closer existing Big 12 N schools and even Iowa and Illinois than they are to Washington and Oregon.

Logistically, time zone wise, T.V. contact wise.... The Big 10 still makes much better since.

Folks - I think Mizzou, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma are heading to the Big 10. Maybe Kansas too.

http://maps.google.com/

Just because the Pac-10 is making invites doesn't mean the Big 12 cream of the crop is going to jump on board.

I think the Pac-10 realized that Mizzou, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma (or some mixture of those teams, but Texas for sure) were heading to the Big 10.

If Pac 10 loses Texas, their expansion plans and T.V. network idea takes a huge hit.

Bottom line is Austin, TX and Norman, OK are much closer existing Big 12 N schools and even Iowa and Illinois than they are to Washington and Oregon.

Logistically, time zone wise, T.V. contact wise.... The Big 10 still makes much better since.

Folks - I think Mizzou, Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma are heading to the Big 10. Maybe Kansas too.

Google Maps

You're crazy

I will bet you a 20 oz coke that Texas and OU arent going to the Big Ten.

Deal?

Briankaldenberg, Oklahoma is not going to the Big 10. They are not an AAU member, have almost no research and very low academic standards. Expansion will only include members that fit the Big 10 university mold and will not include schools just because of sports tradition.

You are going to lose Briankaldenberg. By the way, what is you rational for Oklahoma getting invited to the Big Ten?

Because of their ties to Texas and Nebraska. And I don't think the whole AAU member holds near as much weight as it used to.

Big 10 can give Oklahoma a 10-year time window to get their academics up to par.

Google Maps

Texas and Oklahoma are not coming to the Big 10.

i could see texas making it happen...but oklahoma is a little tough for me. maybe if they discover a cure for cancer, i could see it happening a little easier

Because of their ties to Texas and Nebraska. And I don't think the whole AAU member holds near as much weight as it used to.

Big 10 can give Oklahoma a 10-year time window to get their academics up to par.

What about Texas A&M ties to Texas? You don't think those two teams would be more likely than Texas-OU?

I agree the Pac 10 is panicking. They are over-reacting and want to jump into expansion as quickly as possible in order to not be left to choose from less than desirable teams that have already moved to other conferences. The main reason for this is their TV contract is up for negotiation next spring and they want to be in the best possible position for those rounds of negotiation.

The problem is that by over-reacting, they bring in schools that don't have a cultural fit, an academic fit, or maybe not even an athletic fit just to make a big splash and hopefully get a Texas.

This was tried once before. It was the 16 team WAC conference that lasted 3 years before breaking apart. I've read several articles on the breakup of the old WAC and the main reasons it broke up were it was too hastily put together and there was no cultural fit. This sounds like a huge get for the Pac 10, but it's a very big gamble that may not pay off and is likely to suffer the same fate as the old WAC.

The way the Big Ten is going about this is the textbook way to approach expansion. Very classless of the Pac 10 to talk to the Big XII commissioner just a few weeks ago about a TV partnership and then swipe his teams out from under him without any warning. The Big Ten has at least said they will do this the right way and give conferences a heads up if and when they want to negotiate with other schools.

Busabus - how will this said regular 20 oz. coke be delivered to the winner?

you guys both go to games in iowa city right? meet up and make the transaction

If we can meet up in Iowa city at a game i would propose the bet be upped to a 12 pack of Coors Light. I will be in the dental lot at 7 am on Sept 4th....if something is done by then there isnt a better place in the world to meet up

Google Maps

People in Texas do not want to travel to the Northern Midwest in November. The Pac Ten is not panicking. People like you who realize that the Big Ten will not be the only player when it comes to a conference network are the ones that are panicking. Cause that is the only reasonable explanation for a ridiculous post like this.