The Opening Tip: Ranked Rutgers Comes to Carver-Hawkeye Arena

My brain cramps up when I see the words "ranked" and "Rutgers" next to each other. My mind just can't process that and would rather blackout.

ESPN BPI gives Iowa a 76% chance to win.

Vegas has Iowa -5.5

realtimeRPI has Iowa winning 70-62
Torvik has Iowa winning 69-66

I heard on the radio it has been 40 yrs since Rutgers has been ranked in b-ball.

If I'm reading their history right, they haven't made the NCAA tournament since they were a 9 seed in 1990-91. They haven't WON an NCAA tournament game since 1982-83

Last time they were ranked was 1978-79. Yikes

If I'm reading their history right, they haven't made the NCAA tournament since they were a 9 seed in 1990-91. They haven't WON an NCAA tournament game since 1982-83

Last time they were ranked was 1978-79. Yikes

And, in 1976, Rutgers was in the Final Four with Indiana (undefeated champ), Michigan, and UCLA. Rutgers was undefeated going into the Final Four (like Indiana) but lost to Michigan in the semifinals and UCLA in the consolation game.

rutgers-elite.jpg

Iowa has lost 2 of the last 3 meetings including the last game at home. I sure hope the team is ready to play tonight as this is might be the best Rutgers team they've had since the 70s.

Iowa has lost 2 of the last 3 meetings including the last game at home. I sure hope the team is ready to play tonight as this is might be the best Rutgers team they've had since the 70s.
And that win was a buzzer beater...after they thought they had hit the game winner.

Iowa has covered the spread 7 of their last 9. The only exceptions being Penn State and Nebraska...effectively no CJ in either. Rutgers has covered 9 straight and 11 out of 13. Something has to give since 5.5 takes the push out of play.

Iowa has been under 7 of their last 9. Rutgers has been under 7 straight. I don’t bet the spread either way in Iowa games. But the under looks tempting.

Latest posts